Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I understand all of that I was born in Berri SA Riverland but I couldn't live there now. It is good to visit family but I can't wait to get back to Glenelg.

mate i get that, 27 years i lived in Tassie , moved to S.a  due to my current wife , she said lets move to vic then to tassie.. whom was i argue with i had her bag packed before she could change her mind.

just recently i said do yopu want to move back to S.A  she said nope or next move is Tasmania

but hey i lived Adelaide and metro vic as well as regional vic  , attitudes are different mate .

i have had best of both worlds there in my travels..

Glenelg lovely place to visit  but  can be to classy for me

17 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Just tested positive to Covid so should have a bit of time to brew whilst isolating this week! 😆

feel for ya mate,  hope ya can brew if well enough   

stay safe and getter better soon

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Thanks mate.

At the rate I move around the country it was bound to happen eventually. 🍻

i'm a interstate truckie , i understand  , i'm just lucky i havent had it. had over 90 pcr tests all returned good to go.

nothing like agood checkpoint in front of he fans getting a swab up the nostralls  lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i'm a interstate truckie , i understand  , i'm just lucky i havent had it. had over 90 pcr tests all returned good to go.

nothing like agood checkpoint in front of he fans getting a swab up the nostralls  lol

Strange the way things go, jut prior to Covid happening upon us about March 2 years ago, just before my birthday, I had just finished a big trip in NSW, I went as far as Bourke & travelled the long way back to Adelaide, to this day I have never had a test or ever encountered any symptoms of the dreaded thing, of course I am triple vaxxed. I did retire & now don't really go that far these days so I suppose that makes a big difference.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Strange the way things go, jut prior to Covid happening upon us about March 2 years ago, just before my birthday, I had just finished a big trip in NSW, I went as far as Bourke & travelled the long way back to Adelaide, to this day I have never had a test or ever encountered any symptoms of the dreaded thing, of course I am triple vaxxed. I did retire & now don't really go that far these days so I suppose that makes a big difference.

Triple vaxxed here too. 🤞

• Like 2

Aussie Lager

• 4.39kg Pale Malt
  • 320g Table sugar
  • 250g Carapils
  • 190g Acidulated Malt
  • 26g Pride of Ringwood 30 minute boil
  • 13g Pride of Ringwood 10 minute boil
  • Predicted 4.6% ABV
  • Predicted OG 1.007
  • Actual OG 1.042
  • 20 IBU
  • 7 EBC
  • I used 1 packet of Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast.  I did a 2 litre starter.

I was aiming for 2 x 15 litre fermenters of this brew.  SG was a little down, so added less water to achieve the intended starting SG.  Managed to get 28 litres of 1.042 wort.

Pressure fermenting this at 15psi and 23°C.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Aussie Lager

Thanks for posting that @Shamus O'Sean SOS 👍

So... with the fear of sounding stupid (but that's nothing unusual for me I guess 😆) - which Aussie Larger might that be moving towards?

Is that a Carlton Draught - Crownie - Melbourne Bitter type Larger...  or?

I am keen at some stage to try to brew something that may go towards the old style Four Eggs from years ago and the experts seem to think that XXXX is more of a Cluster thing rather than PoR...

Thanks mate

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Thanks for posting that @Shamus O'Sean SOS 👍

So... with the fear of sounding stupid (but that's nothing unusual for me I guess 😆) - which Aussie Larger might that be moving towards?

Is that a Carlton Draught - Crownie - Melbourne Bitter type Larger...  or?

I am keen at some stage to try to brew something that may go towards the old style Four Eggs from years ago and the experts seem to think that XXXX is more of a Cluster thing rather than PoR...

Thanks mate

The logo I made for this beer looks like the Lithuanian flag.  Three stripes, red, yellow and green, with a line of black between each stripe.  So, I was kind of not wanting declare anything specifically.  Could be a bit XXXX, could be a bit Swan Lager, could be a bit West End, could be a bit VB, could be a bit Melbourne Bitter.

Our friend @iBooz2 suggested the Diamond Lager yeast for this one.

I have heard Cluster mentioned in reference to XXXX too.  Maybe I have seen it in a recipe for it somewhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have heard Cluster mentioned in reference to XXXX too.  Maybe I have seen it in a recipe for it somewhere.

Cheers @Shamus O'Sean SOS - mate if you do see a XXXX (hopefully 80s XXXX 🙂) recipe in your travels - I would definitely appreciate seeing what they suggest 🙏

@Itinerant Peasant Whilst searching for stuff, I bumped into this site, I have not made any of the beers but it list lot's of Commercial favourites.

http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/Customize/CustomizeCoopers.html

I have No clue as to how it would work out!

FourX Gold

1 can Morgan’s Queenslander Lager

400g Dry Gold Blend

250g  Dextrose

12g Cluster Hop Pellets

Alc/Vol=3.5%

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

@Itinerant Peasant Whilst searching for stuff, I bumped into this site, I have not made any of the beers but it list lot's of Commercial favourites.

http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/Customize/CustomizeCoopers.html

I have No clue as to how it would work out!

FourX Gold

1 can Morgan’s Queenslander Lager

400g Dry Gold Blend

250g  Dextrose

12g Cluster Hop Pellets

Alc/Vol=3.5%

Probably taste like XXXX 😬

• Haha 3

Bottled a Coopers Pale today

Put a Coopers Sparkling Ale in the fermenter.

Found this simple recipe on the Site, almost followed it but was short on Dextrose so used

Thomas Coopers Inkeeper's Daughter Sparkling Ale

1.5k Light dry Malt

100g Dextrose

200g White Sugar

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/coopers-sparkling-ale.html

Simple!

Edited by DavidM
Add Word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bottled a Coopers Pale today

Put a Coopers Sparkling Ale in the fermenter.

Found this simple recipe on the Site, almost followed it but was short on Dextrose so used

1.5k Light dry Malt

100g Dextrose

200g White Sugar

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/coopers-sparkling-ale.html

Simple!

Hey David, did you include 1 x Thomas Inkeeper's Daughter Sparling Ale (1.7kg) ?

• Thanks 1

Hey @Itinerant Peasant I found this AG recipe for Castlemaine Perkins XXXX Bitter on another brewing forum.

Mash at 64 then raise to mashout
Ferment 13 raising gradually to 17

Fine and Polyclar the shyte out of it:

XXXX

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.550
Total Hops (g): 30.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (P): 2.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.61 %
Colour (SRM): 3.8 (EBC): 7.5
Bitterness (IBU): 21.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Pilsner Barrett Burston (87.91%)
0.350 kg Cane Sugar (7.69%)
0.200 kg Caramalt Barrett Burston (4.4%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Cluster Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
5.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)

Single step Infusion at 64C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 13-17C with Wyeast 2042 - Danish Lager

I also saw some comments on this recipe that suggested subbing in 200g of wheat and reducing the pilsner by the same amount. Also doing 20g of cluster @ 60 minutes and 15g of cluster @ 10 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @DavidM and @kmar92 Kmar - much appreciated.

Well at least one thing seems to be fairly settled then - for Four Eggs it does appear to be that we seem to need Cluster Hops : ) and I sorta reckon I would lean towards the split - some @60 some @10.  

Although not my favourite occupation - I probably will need to do some sort of clarifying... I do have some Gelatin in a jar in the cold Larder - probably should bite the bullet and give that a go some time.

I also am going to drink the kegs that are infesting my brew fridge so that I can get that back for brewing - and then I should also be able to cold crash - which helps with clear beer.

Thanks very much Brewers!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Well at least one thing seems to be fairly settled then - for Four Eggs it does appear to be that we seem to need Cluster Hops : ) and I sorta reckon I would lean towards the split - some @60 some @10.  

I have heard that since the big Japanese feline took over the Milton brewery they have changed over to POR rather than cluster and that many traditional XXXX drinkers are not impressed with the result.

9 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I also am going to drink the kegs that are infesting my brew fridge so that I can get that back for brewing - and then I should also be able to cold crash - which helps with clear beer.

It can be a tough life being a brewer, but you have to do what you have to do 😜

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I have heard that since the big Japanese feline took over the Milton brewery they have changed over to POR rather than cluster and that many traditional XXXX drinkers are not impressed with the result

That wouldn't surprise me @kmar92 KMar... but I reckon that the terrible rot set in quite some time ago - in the good ol' days it was like 4.8 or 4.9% and then I think it went to 4.6 and now is 4.4% -- I really don't think it is the same beer that was brewed in the 80s...  

Back then too there was festive Carbine... I found this bit of history again in my bottle stash when doing a bit of tidying up recently - four or five years ago I had rescued and cleaned up a good lot of bottles from a mate who had stored them in his shed for years.... the little XXXX man is embossed on the bottle...  don't think Carbine exists any longer.

image.thumb.png.b7ea2a72700ade140e9aa1ca820ae046.png

• Like 4