Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

6 hours ago, PintsMeLocal said:

Thanks for the replies.  My LHBS doesn't stock the liquid malt tins. I think I will maybe do a wheat malt steep maybe a bit of crystal too with some cascade or something similar 🍻

You can also get a Dry Wheat Malt too.  Maybe add some Pale or Pilsner Malt to your steep to help it convert the starches in the other grains to sugars.  Run it between 60-70°C for 30-45 minutes.  A hop steep or a dry hop with Cascade is a great idea

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2022 at 3:49 PM, PintsMeLocal said:

wheat malt steep

19 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Maybe add some Pale or Pilsner Malt to your steep to help it convert the starches in the other grains to sugars.  Run it between 60-70°C for 30-45 minutes. 

@PintsMeLocal as Shamus notes above best do a mini-mash... 60-70°C for 30-45 minutes.... suggest something like 66-68 if you can... but 64 is good too. 

Or just use Crystal Malts that are mashed in the grain by the Maltster.

But then I think doing a boil is best with the mash liquid - and maybe too with some more hops you want to add? 

I am no expert on the Partials scene...  just from a mash perspective woulda thought you would need to boil post the mash or ?  

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

@PintsMeLocal as Shamus notes above best do a mini-mash... 60-70°C for 30-45 minutes.... suggest something like 66-68 if you can... but 64 is good too. 

Or just use Crystal Malts that are mashed in the grain by the Maltster.

But then I think doing a boil is best with the mash liquid - and maybe too with some more hops you want to add? 

I am no expert on the Partials scene...  just from a mash perspective woulda thought you would need to boil post the mash or ?  

OK brother thanks so much gotcha. Will report back

• Like 3

Recipe: Hazy Shade of Winter
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Hazy IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 5.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 58.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          45.5 %        1.63 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          36.4 %        1.30 L        
0.75 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         3          13.6 %        0.49 L        
0.25 kg          Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC)          Grain         4          4.5 %         0.16 L        
5.00 ml          Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           5          22.8 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min Hop           6          6.4 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           7          10.3 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           8          9.8 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           9          8.9 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Hophead Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M66)         Yeast         10         -             -             
20.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - 3.0 Days Into Primary for Hop           11         0.0 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - 3.0 Days Into Primary for 0.0 Hop           12         0.0 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - 3.0 Days Into Primary for 0.0 Hop           13         0.0 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - 3.0 Days Into Prima Hop           14         0.0 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

If you do a Mash and Boil w hops as you see fit --

and then add to the KnK I reckon it will add a lot to your festive Brew @PintsMeLocal Pintster ; )

@PintsMeLocal Pintster - mate just came across this bit of useful inf - so if using these - then seems like a steep would be just fine and no mash is required:

Dark Malts

dark malts --> roasted grains and malts such as Chocolate, Black Patent and Roasted (Black) Barley.  One could also include very dark roasted specialty malts such as Chocolate Wheat, Carafa, and Special B.

they have been roasted to the point that they have no diastatic enzymes and also that whatever fermentable sugars are present in the malt have already been broken down during the roasting process.  As a result they do not actually need to be mashed.  Steeping these malts is sufficient to release their flavor and remaining sugars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Making one of these too

Recipe: Cluster Bitter
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Bitter Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          94.1 %        2.61 L        
0.25 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          5.9 %         0.16 L        
35.00 g          Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           3          28.0 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54)          Yeast         4          -             -             

• Like 6

Finally got around to the Samuel Adams Boston lager clone today. A couple of problems in the brewery made it a longer day than planned.

Coopers premium pale malt - 93%

Simpsons pale crystal - 3.5%

Bestmalz melanoiden - 3.5%

15g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 60

50g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 10

50g Tettnang @ 10

Step mash 50° @ 10, 63° @ 70, 70° @ 20 and 10 minute mash out @ 76°.

W34/70 and it will be dry hopped with Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 30g and Tettnang 30g. It will be pressure fermented @ 15psi.

Had a problem or 2 with the circulating pump blocking on the inlet, finally got that sorted. Then I intended to try out my counter flow chiller and found that I had forgot to get 1 hose ready for the plumbing set up, so ended up hot cubing it. The cube is in the outside fridge, otherwise known as being outside in the cold, should be in the pressure FV in the morning.

2014e.jpg

2016e.JPG

2020e.jpg

• Like 9

15 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Step mash 50° @ 10, 63° @ 70, 70° @ 20 and 10 minute mash out @ 76°.

Nice work @kmar92 Mate and nice to see some local Malts from Coopers at hand ; )

Can you advise what the festive Step Mash does for the brew - might be something I could potentially try - just interested in likely beneficial outcomes?

• Like 2

@Itinerant Peasantthe step mash I used was 50° as an acid rest to lower the pH, 63° Beta-amylase step for breaking down long chain starch molecules and 70° Alpha amylase step. Shouldn't really be needed with well modified malts but it was in the recipe that i was following so I thought I would try it out. I overshot my gravity readings so it did improve my efficiency somewhat.

More details here: https://grainfather.com/step-mashing-what-is-it-and-why-do-it-2/

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 8:48 PM, kmar92 said:

It will be pressure fermented @ 15psi.

Had a problem or 2 with the circulating pump blocking on the inlet, finally got that sorted. Then I intended to try out my counter flow chiller and found that I had forgot to get 1 hose ready for the plumbing set up, so ended up hot cubing it. The cube is in the outside fridge, otherwise known as being outside in the cold, should be in the pressure FV in the morning.

Hi Kmar, One of the supposed benefits of pressure fermenting a lager at 15psi is that you can ferment it at ale fermenting temperatures.  I did my recent Aussie Lager at 23°C and 15psi.  What are your temperature plans?

I ask because you have put your cube in the "outside" fridge.  It might get colder than you want.  I did something similar when I did the Aussie Lager.  Brew day was a freezing cold day in Melbourne.  I was really happy when I used my counterflow chiller and got the temperature of the wort down to 14°C.  Once all the wort was transferred to the FV, I remembered I wanted to ferment at 23°C.  It took a day to warm it up again.

• Like 2

Stella Artois clone today.

SG of 22 litres of wort before diluting was 1.067.  To get the target OG of 1.049 meant I would have to dilute with 6 litres of water, and accept a smaller batch size.  The ABV was less important for this brew, so I decided to dilute with 8 litres of water for an OG of 1.046.  However, this yeast (Lallemand Diamond Lager) got my Aussie Lager from 1.042 to 1.004 for an ABV of 5%.  Therefore, I am expecting a similar outcome with this Stella clone.

ABV 5.1%; OG 1.049 (Actual was 1.046); FG 1.010; IBU 22; EBC 6; Boil 60 minute

Batch 30L; FV top up 8L

• 6.26kg Pilsner Malt
  • 490g Carapils
  • 55g Saaz 60 minute boil
  • 29g Saaz 5 minute boil
  • No mineral additions because our Melbourne water is pretty soft and good for lagers/pilsners
  • Added a pinch of Sodium Metabisulfite to neutralise the chlorine in the water
  • 5ml of Lactic acid to get the mash pH around 5.4
  • The wort was pitched straight onto the Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast cake from my Aussie Lager

Fermenting under pressure at 15psi and 23°C.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Stella Artois clone today.

SG of 22 litres of wort before diluting was 1.067.  To get the target OG of 1.049 meant I would have to dilute with 6 litres of water, and accept a smaller batch size.  The ABV was less important for this brew, so I decided to dilute with 8 litres of water for an OG of 1.046.  However, this yeast (Lallemand Diamond Lager) got my Aussie Lager from 1.042 to 1.004 for an ABV of 5%.  Therefore, I am expecting a similar outcome with this Stella clone.

ABV 5.1%; OG 1.049 (Actual was 1.046); FG 1.010; IBU 22; EBC 6; Boil 60 minute

Batch 30L; FV top up 8L

• 6.26kg Pilsner Malt
  • 490g Carapils
  • 55g Saaz 60 minute boil
  • 29g Saaz 5 minute boil
  • No mineral additions because our Melbourne water is pretty soft and good for lagers/pilsners
  • Added a pinch of Sodium Metabisulfite to neutralise the chlorine in the water
  • 5ml of Lactic acid to get the mash pH around 5.4
  • The wort was pitched straight onto the Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast cake from my Aussie Lager

Fermenting under pressure at 15psi and 23°C.

Nice one mate. Should be a cracker using the yeast cake

• Like 3

Messy Backyard Brewing is back in business. It's an early start on a crisp and clean Queensland morning and the mash water is heating up. It's a cosy 9C and I sit there with a hot cuppa tea in my hand and wrapped in a hoodie. The things we do for beer right? Today, I'm up for a double batch of Mötley Brëw. These are the days a 65 or 70l system  would come in handy 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Kmar, One of the supposed benefits of pressure fermenting a lager at 15psi is that you can ferment it at ale fermenting temperatures.  I did my recent Aussie Lager at 23°C and 15psi.  What are your temperature plans?

I ask because you have put your cube in the "outside" fridge.  It might get colder than you want.  I did something similar when I did the Aussie Lager.  Brew day was a freezing cold day in Melbourne.  I was really happy when I used my counterflow chiller and got the temperature of the wort down to 14°C.  Once all the wort was transferred to the FV, I remembered I wanted to ferment at 23°C.  It took a day to warm it up again.

@Shamus O'Sean it is currently sitting at 22.5° and has only been fermenting for 16 hours, I may bring it up a little more. The gravity is just starting to drop, according to the Rapt Pill, and the pressure is just starting to build and is currently only at 5 psi. I only left the cube outside for 6 hours and brought it back inside before going to bed as I was worried about skunking it next morning. It was at 21° when I pitched the W34/70 the following day.

I have been thinking about the dry hop, which will be 30g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and 30g Tettnang, I may just go commando as the cold crash should drop most of the hop matter and being a pressure ferment it will be close transferred to the keg via a floating dip tube so that should also help. I think, from memory, that you go commando @Shamus O'Sean when you dry hop with a pressure ferment?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

@Shamus O'Sean it is currently sitting at 22.5° and has only been fermenting for 16 hours, I may bring it up a little more. The gravity is just starting to drop, according to the Rapt Pill, and the pressure is just starting to build and is currently only at 5 psi. I only left the cube outside for 6 hours and brought it back inside before going to bed as I was worried about skunking it next morning. It was at 21° when I pitched the W34/70 the following day.

I have been thinking about the dry hop, which will be 30g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and 30g Tettnang, I may just go commando as the cold crash should drop most of the hop matter and being a pressure ferment it will be close transferred to the keg via a floating dip tube so that should also help. I think, from memory, that you go commando @Shamus O'Sean when you dry hop with a pressure ferment?

That all sounds good, @kmar92.  I did go commando for the couple of dry hopped pressure ferments that I have done.  For the Coopers Australian IPA I did, I dry hopped for 9 days, including the cold crash.  In my view, this should have been way too long.  The beer had some grassiness to its flavour, but the effect went well with the higher bitterness.  The other dry hopped pressure ferments I have done have all had the dry hops added right at the start of the cold crash and only been in for about 4 days before kegging.  The aroma has been less from dry hopping during cold crash.  However, that might have been the hops I used.

Obviously you have to release pressure to get the hops in.  I just regassed with CO2 after dry hopping.  You can also use two magnets, one inside a hop loaded sock and one on the outside of the fermenter, to hold the hop sock on the upper inside of your fermenter.  Put your wort in and ferment like usual.  When ready to dry hop, remove the magnet from the outside and the hop sock falls into your fermenting beer.  I have not done that method.  If you are using your SS fermenter, it might not work though.

I am planning a Sam Adams Boston Lager in about a month.  My recipe does not have Melanoidin Malt.  I think I might add in a few 100g like you have.  I have not used it before, but my reading suggests it intensifies the flavour and adds some colour. 

• Like 2

It is interesting reading your guys posts re: Pressure Fermenting, it is something I know little about apart from watching You Tube videos & noticing the photos & stories on this forum however I think I have quite enough on my plate ATM so I will sit tight for a while before I investigate it any further.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That all sounds good, @kmar92.  I did go commando for the couple of dry hopped pressure ferments that I have done.  For the Coopers Australian IPA I did, I dry hopped for 9 days, including the cold crash.  In my view, this should have been way too long.  The beer had some grassiness to its flavour, but the effect went well with the higher bitterness.  The other dry hopped pressure ferments I have done have all had the dry hops added right at the start of the cold crash and only been in for about 4 days before kegging.  The aroma has been less from dry hopping during cold crash.  However, that might have been the hops I used.

Obviously you have to release pressure to get the hops in.  I just regassed with CO2 after dry hopping.  You can also use two magnets, one inside a hop loaded sock and one on the outside of the fermenter, to hold the hop sock on the upper inside of your fermenter.  Put your wort in and ferment like usual.  When ready to dry hop, remove the magnet from the outside and the hop sock falls into your fermenting beer.  I have not done that method.  If you are using your SS fermenter, it might not work though.

I am planning a Sam Adams Boston Lager in about a month.  My recipe does not have Melanoidin Malt.  I think I might add in a few 100g like you have.  I have not used it before, but my reading suggests it intensifies the flavour and adds some colour. 

Thanks @Shamus O'Sean, I have dry hopped commando once before in the kegmenter and it worked out well, so yeah might do that again with this batch. I usually only CC for a couple of days. I had thought about the magnets and hop socks but as you say the SS kegmenter may defeat the magnets, I think that it is 2mm thick 304 SS.

• Like 1