Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

8 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Mashing in for my AG Heineken Clone 

Hop Schedule is 

10g Northern Brewer@60 min, 25g Hallertau & 25g Saaz@10 mins at 65 degrees, then 10 min mash out at 75 degrees. 

‘Cube overnight then transfer into new fermenter, ferment with M76 Bavarian Lager Yeast 

Ferment for 20 days@11 degrees, CC for 4 days@3 degrees

5CECFD9F-304E-443D-9717-48379E1E0B8B.jpeg

9887FA57-DD12-4940-9A9D-BA541AEEADD8.jpeg

I too was confused.  But now understand.  What was your grain bill?

• Like 1

Big day in the brewery today  a Westmalle Dubbel clone to use up a yeast starter I made a week ago, and an old recipe of the month - Summer Berry Sour

The 5 minute screenshot is the time it took me to mill 6.75kg of grain with the machine sent from your neck of the woods, absolutely awesome!

DE53326A-6B8C-4A6C-B792-0F6374C5698D.jpeg

D2BB3A40-2896-4FDE-9C0D-02FC2FC9DDFB.jpeg

1FADD8A0-80BC-4B7C-AE81-596FFED9E2A1.jpeg

4A4FEF67-FEB3-40C8-8A64-16C2177D9EDF.jpeg

38EF6B49-83B5-4381-BEB6-016163CBC695.jpeg

4A39043A-9A99-4F71-AF03-BFCE2C129D4D.jpeg

A3E10371-EDF3-436A-82A6-FAE130A80F32.jpeg

C2DBF4F1-6CE0-4748-9D41-25F7EC4E1E2D.jpeg

• Like 12

Yesterday's brew day was another batch of the Bent's Poke Cranking Shaft IPA I did a while ago.  Requested by my brother-in-law.  Upsized the batch to 27 litres to give him a keg, with half a keg for me.  I need to review my numbers because my OG keeps coming in too low.  This was another brew where I brew a slightly concentrated version and then dilute up to my desired volume with extra water before pitching the yeast.  However, in this case, I took a pre-dilution reading for a SG of 1.066.  I had two choices:

1. Add 3 litres to get to my desired OG of 1.058 or
  2. Add 5 litres to get to my desired volume, but with an OG of 1.053

I went with option 1, so my volume fell a bit short (25 litres)

I did a 45 minute boil for this one.  The first bittering addition is at 30 minutes.  So, I could have followed the recent trend in brewing of boiling for only 30 minutes.  Others have spoken about it on this forum.  I have done it a couple of times.  However, I find that my brew day is rushed and I do not get to clean the malt pipe and a few other things until after the brew is finished.  Therefore, it ends up taking me just as long (if not longer) for the sake of adding a bit more water and boiling for a bit longer.  The 45 minutes gave me a bit of breathing space to get those jobs done while the boil was underway. 

ABV 5.6%; OG 1.058; FG 1.015; IBU 35; EBC 14; Boil 45min

Batch 27L (actual 25L); FV Top-up 5L (actual 3L)

• 6.12kg Pale Malt
  • 330g Caramel Hell
  • 290g Caramel Munich 1
  • 27g Simcoe 30 minute boil
  • 47g Centennial; 47g Citra; 47g Ekuanot; 29g Simcoe 15 minute hopstand at 77°C
  • 53g Centennial; 53g Citra; 53g Ekuanot; 44g Simcoe Dry hop
  • Mineral additions to my water to get a "Hoppy" profile
  • US-05 yeast

Fermenting in the good old Coopers plazzi fermenter.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yesterday's brew day was another batch of the Bent's Poke Cranking Shaft IPA I did a while ago.  Requested by my brother-in-law.  Upsized the batch to 27 litres to give him a keg, with half a keg for me.  I need to review my numbers because my OG keeps coming in too low.  This was another brew where I brew a slightly concentrated version and then dilute up to my desired volume with extra water before pitching the yeast.  However, in this case, I took a pre-dilution reading for a SG of 1.066.  I had two choices:

I did a 45 minute boil for this one.  The first bittering addition is at 30 minutes.  So, I could have followed the recent trend in brewing of boiling for only 30 minutes.  Others have spoken about it on this forum.  I have done it a couple of times.  However, I find that my brew day is rushed and I do not get to clean the malt pipe and a few other things until after the brew is finished.  Therefore, it ends up taking me just as long (if not longer) for the sake of adding a bit more water and boiling for a bit longer.  The 45 minutes gave me a bit of breathing space to get those jobs done while the boil was underway. 

• 6.12kg Pale Malt
  • 330g Caramel Hell
  • 290g Caramel Munich 1
  • US-05 yeast

That's a cranking good sounding brew Shamus !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

• 6.12kg Pale Malt
  • 330g Caramel Hell
  • 290g Caramel Munich 1
  • US-05 yeast

Cheers @Shamus O'Sean, I see it’s on brewfather so might give that a crack for my next brew on R&R 👍

• Like 2

IP Brewing Brew Day for an IPA of Sorts:

Some Lager Malt, Veloria, Vienna, bit of Pilly and some Wheat... Mozzie late and thinking will do Mozzie and Citra LH in Ferment. 

Cheers Brewers : )

image.thumb.png.1b61d0c86abff5236625eb25abd3dba8.png

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

P Brewing Brew Day for an IPA of Sorts:

Some Lager Malt, Veloria, Vienna, bit of Pilly and some Wheat... Mozzie late and thinking will do Mozzie and Citra LH in Ferment. 

Cheers Brewers : )

Busy, productive day at Mountain Brewery, well done old mate. Cheers.

• Haha 1

Talking Malts after being back in the Brewery : )

Have been happy with Euro and Aussie Malts... would use Coopers Malt if I could get it closer (no freight) and reasonably priced... like the Voyager Malts from NSW Riverina.. and Gladdy Malts from NZ are good too and easier to obtain for me currently...

Had a bit of a Malt Workshop with BrewDog and was wondering what he thought of the comparison of using Gladfield Wheat in brews for Creamy Mouthfeel, Head and Head Retention  -- or whether I should be changing my focus to the newly won bag of Weyermann Carapils.

Reaction follows:

Wheat Malt?

image.thumb.png.2377ee32be04f4e8d014efab41abc462.png

< yeah yeah man we been using wheat for ages meh meh >

image.thumb.png.61224257f2ec2c6490e4ce5e3d4b0504.png

< Mmm now yer talkin' and this could provide some very interesting opportunities for product development... good man >

So after that important input and clarification - looking forward for IP Brewing to try out some Carapils in upcoming Brews.

Cheers All and Good Brewing👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Quick question for the experienced brewers. I noticed the Golden crown lager kit on special at my LHBS. Now being in South Africa, cooper's ain't cheap. I was wondering, could I use an ale yeast and some hops etc and make it into an ale of some type? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PintsMeLocal said:

Quick question for the experienced brewers. I noticed the Golden crown lager kit on special at my LHBS. Now being in South Africa, cooper's ain't cheap. I was wondering, could I use an ale yeast and some hops etc and make it into an ale of some type? 

You sure could.  I would call it a Blonde Ale.  If you use a Kolsch yeast, then a Kolsch.  Maybe mix with a can of Liquid Wheat Malt and call a wheat yeast for a wheat beer.  A lager is a lager because of the yeast you use, not just because they are mostly pilsner malt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PintsMeLocal said:

Most definitely. I often do that, but haven’t used that Golden Crown kit 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Talking Malts after being back in the Brewery : )

Have been happy with Euro and Aussie Malts... would use Coopers Malt if I could get it closer (no freight) and reasonably priced... like the Voyager Malts from NSW Riverina.. and Gladdy Malts from NZ are good too and easier to obtain for me currently...

Had a bit of a Malt Workshop with BrewDog and was wondering what he thought of the comparison of using Gladfield Wheat in brews for Creamy Mouthfeel, Head and Head Retention  -- or whether I should be changing my focus to the newly won bag of Weyermann Carapils.

Reaction follows:

Wheat Malt?

image.thumb.png.2377ee32be04f4e8d014efab41abc462.png

< yeah yeah man we been using wheat for ages meh meh >

image.thumb.png.61224257f2ec2c6490e4ce5e3d4b0504.png

< Mmm now yer talkin' and this could provide some very interesting opportunities for product development... good man >

So after that important input and clarification - looking forward for IP Brewing to try out some Carapils in upcoming Brews.

Cheers All and Good Brewing👍

Brew dog appears to be making good choices. (S)He’ll go a long way that pooch 👍
Happy brewing you two 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PintsMeLocal said:

I noticed the Golden crown lager kit on special at my LHBS. Now being in South Africa, cooper's ain't cheap. I was wondering, could I use an ale yeast and some hops etc and make it into an ale of some type? 

@PintsMeLocal Pints I can only echo all of the above... the world is your oyster... all I would say is that if you do a Lager then better to brew a bit cooler like 15 deg or below and the yeast in the Can Kit is pretty good.

But otherwise - all sorts of opportunities.

I will roll out the old favourite - use that GC Kit with a further tin of Liquid Malt maybe Light Liquid Malt and then half a kilo of dry malt or BE.... and then do maybe a late hop... use an Ale yeast... magic Sparkling Ale say with EKG Late or an IPA maybe with a good wallop of Mosaic, Citra, Centennial... resultant brew type depending upon hops and yeast pretty much... and I sorta reckon you canna beat 18 deg for your Ales... but only add the Hops later on once the Hubble n Bubble has subsided (so you don't lose all of your aromas - volatiles - as the CO2 generated during the ferment on leaving tends to 'scrub' the volatiles out with it when things are cranking and your brew room or fridge will smell great but the beer is losing all the tasty aromas).

But I am no expert on aligning outcomes with BJCP Guidelines... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

He’ll go a long way that pooch

Ha ha Cheers @Tone boy Toner mate yeah he is a cracking ex-Rescue Dogger and a great mate.

Doesn't like storms and thunder and lightning at all.... nor the hiss of burping a keg 😕

But yeah is a beaut little fella ; )

• Like 2