Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

1 hour ago, interceptor said:

This one in for @Classic Brewing Co cherry juice and coconut in a stout!

Recipe: Cherry Ripe Stout
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 74.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          58.8 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          19.6 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC)           Grain         3          9.8 %         0.33 L        
0.25 kg          Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC)          Grain         4          4.9 %         0.16 L        
0.15 kg          Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 EBC)            Grain         5          2.9 %         0.10 L        
0.10 kg          Carafa I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC)                 Grain         6          2.0 %         0.07 L        
0.10 kg          Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC)          Grain         7          2.0 %         0.07 L        
20.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           8          29.7 IBUs     -             
500.00 g         Coconut (Dry Nut)                                Flavor        9          -             -             
500  mL          Cherry Juice                                     Other         10         -             -             
1.0 pkg          California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54)          Yeast         11         -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried something similar once as a porter but used too much cherry juice and it was just overpowering. I’ll try again but with less juice or infusing with cherries, rather than juice. I certainly like the idea. 

• Like 2

Clayton’s Lager is boiling away. I changed the recipe twice and settled for Pilsener and Munich malts and a goodly amount of Hallertauer mf. Clayton’s because I’ll use M54, so it is the lager you’re having when you’re not having a lager. Just a test to see what the yeast can do.

4F277074-D2FC-41E2-9EC7-873F370D3E61.thumb.jpeg.ecb12be0b7501ca3dd64eb2d6ae6a9b8.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I’ll try again but with less juice or infusing with cherries,

I have done both, the bickford's cherry juice goes well. Cherries would be good if there were any

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

so it is the lager you’re having when you’re not having a lager

Big fan of the yeast, work well in my XXXX and It's Not a Pilsner

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, interceptor said:

I have done both, the bickford's cherry juice goes well

That's good to know.  I am planning a Blackforest Porter in a few brews time.  Its recipe calls for 1 litre of Sour Cherry Juice.  I was hoping that the Bickfords Juice would fit the bill.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Its recipe calls for 1 litre of Sour Cherry Juice. 

Probably not sour like morello cherries - they may be better for the recipe, that's what we put in the cakes when I was a baker

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, interceptor said:

Probably not sour like morello cherries - they may be better for the recipe, that's what we put in the cakes when I was a baker

Thanks for the tip.

So if the recipe says 1kg Sour Cherry Juice, how much of the product below would I replace it with? 

Also how would I add it?  Chuck an amount in, juice and all?  In a hop sock/Chux cloth?  Chop, mash or crush the cherries first?  Weigh out an amount of cherries only and add them?  Chop, mash or crush first?  Freeze then thaw and chop, mash or crush?

Is this the product you mean?

980482165_Screenshot2022-07-03160400.jpg.0ecb027ebabf9e80ce5aa193f0de16b7.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, interceptor said:

I always imagined you being a food tradesman. I leaned toward chef, but you being a baker doesn't surprise me in the least.

4 minutes ago, interceptor said:

I was chef also. Did 10 years cheffing, before that baker, not qualified just bulls$$hitted my way up

As long as the Product was good not sure whether there is much bull$hitt involved... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

How do you make that @stquinto? Lemon zest soaked in alcohol?

I took the zest from 9 unwaxed lemons ( don’t take the white pith, it ruins it) , put it in a jar with a litre of full-strength alcohol(that was from Italy, 96 degrees) and leave it a month. Then strain it and add the (by now bright yellow) alcohol to a sugar syrup. I haven’t the dosage on me but I’ll post it. Leave it another cuppla weeks and you’re good to go 👍

If you want the cloudy yellow colour you need to use high-alcohol booze apparently 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Looks good @Classic Brewing Co, my Kolsch is still fermenting away, what hops are you using ?

I used Hallertau in mine & Safale K97 German Ale Yeast. 

Cheers RD.

Hops (60 g)
20 g (18 IBU) — Perle 8% — Boil — 60 min
20 g (4 IBU) — Hersbrucker 2.75% — Boil — 15 min
20 g (2 IBU) — Hersbrucker 2.75% — Aroma — 16 min hopstand

• Like 1

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers RD.

Hops (60 g)
20 g (18 IBU) — Perle 8% — Boil — 60 min
20 g (4 IBU) — Hersbrucker 2.75% — Boil — 15 min
20 g (2 IBU) — Hersbrucker 2.75% — Aroma — 16 min hopstand

Ah ok, that’s a Country Brewer recipe isn’t it @Classic Brewing Co?

That was my first AG batch I did as we have a Country Brewer up here in no not Sunny, rainy & cold Bris Vegas currently. 🥶

• Haha 1