Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

23 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Just tested positive to Covid so should have a bit of time to brew whilst isolating this week! 😆

Hope your ok, I had no energy when I had it, even canceled my online guitar lesson on day six, my concentration span was really short. Hope you fare better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Hope your ok, I had no energy when I had it, even canceled my online guitar lesson on day six, my concentration span was really short. Hope you fare better.

Pretty crook yesterday and today but hopefully able to do a few things around the house later in the week and get a brew or two in whilst I’m confined.

• Like 5

On 5/29/2022 at 7:58 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

Just tested positive to Covid so should have a bit of time to brew whilst isolating this week! 😆

Congratulations!

Rolled me for 4 hours.... hope you win

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Pretty crook yesterday and today but hopefully able to do a few things around the house later in the week and get a brew or two in whilst I’m confined.

Good luck with the recovery Dusty 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Caffreys Irish Style Ale which I will put on Nitro just found the recipe online and changed the batch size and converted to metric etc. Be interested to see what it’s like as I used to love the beer. Back then it was probably 5% though. Just finished the mash and heading to boil now. I will no chill so will put the hops in at 45 or 50min.

FE3043DD-BB0D-4FEE-BED6-D61F2921C159.png

62A13A1C-D0D7-45BB-B0DB-299F5ADEA9AE.jpeg

744D2BA9-4B6A-4649-AADB-69CDE3A14B49.jpeg

• Like 6

Partial-mash Cascade PA -  a simple pale ale loosley based on the well-known, classic SNPA:

• 1 x Draught Can
  • 1kg GF Ale MAlt
  • 300g GF Redback MAlt
  • 100g GF Sour Grapes
  • 25g Cascade @30mins
  • 75g Cascade (steep/dry hop)
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

OG landed at around 1.050 - somewhat higher than expected.  

IMG_20220607_114804.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/4/2022 at 2:21 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Sounds great RD : )

Here's a creamy Aley thing I did a couple years ago : )

Discussing it brings back some good memories haha! 😜

image.thumb.png.4846dc2b466d67f17ad7af9bc8ae3820.png

Mate I admire how many different brews you manage to put down. 

• Like 1

Yesterday saw me put down the first iteration of a Munich helles. Such a great style of beer, not sure why I left it this long to brew one.

pils

vienna

halle mit to 20ibu

WL Munich helles yeast

i believe balance in these beers is the absolute key to a good one. Trying to push out a Pilsner-esk type beer with half the bitterness, which results in trying to balance out the malt sweetness by getting it dry enough to do so, but not too dry, had me thinking cap on. Choofing along at a cool 10deg. 

had a good boil off which resulted in over shooting 5 points on OG. My 3liter starter however diluted that back down to the more modest 1.045.

aiming for 1.008 FG which sound put it at 4.9%

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 6

Getting rid of some ingredients which are hanging around so doing a simple centennial pale ale. I would usually use Verdant yeast for this but decided to try and fire up my old favourite WY1272. It hasn't been used in about 18 months so I was a bit sceptical it would fire up from my unhopped vial but it did fire up in a 100ml starter which I stepped up three times to get enough cells. 

Screenshot_20220609-154100_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20220609-154110_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Getting rid of some ingredients which are hanging around so doing a simple centennial pale ale. I would usually use Verdant yeast for this but decided to try and fire up my old favourite WY1272. It hasn't been used in about 18 months so I was a bit sceptical it would fire up from my unhopped vial but it did fire up in a 100ml starter which I stepped up three times to get enough cells. 

A little while ago Greeny I would have said WTF but now moving in to AG it is a lot easier to understand, it sounds like you have got something nice going on there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A little while ago Greeny I would have said WTF but now moving in to AG it is a lot easier to understand, it sounds like you have got something nice going on there.

Just an easy drinker mate. Not heavily hopped or anything. Centennial is one of my favourites so it should be nice 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Just an easy drinker mate. Not heavily hopped or anything. Centennial is one of my favourites so it should be nice 

Sounds nice, it's nice to have a beer that is enjoyable without the bells & whistles but if course we all strive for the perfection of others.

• Like 2

Putting down a porter today. Using fullers yeast WLP002. Going to keg this one. Once bitten twice shy with the Fullers yeast bottling it. 2L starter on the go. This is one batch that I check pH and adjust on the fly. I have had mash pH go really low on this so i buffer with the calcium carbonate up to 5.4 pH. Should be nice for the cold nights ahead. 

Screenshot_20220610-114815_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20220610-114823_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Putting down a porter today. Using fullers yeast WLP002. Going to keg this one. Once bitten twice shy with the Fullers yeast bottling it. 2L starter on the go. This is one batch that I check pH and adjust on the fly. I have had mash pH go really low on this so i buffer with the calcium carbonate up to 5.4 pH. Should be nice for the cold nights ahead. 

Screenshot_20220610-114815_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20220610-114823_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Not much dark malts.  Should be very smooth.

Mashing in for my AG Heineken Clone 

Hop Schedule is 

10g Northern Brewer@60 min, 25g Hallertau & 25g Saaz@10 mins at 65 degrees, then 10 min mash out at 75 degrees. 

‘Cube overnight then transfer into new fermenter, ferment with M76 Bavarian Lager Yeast 

Ferment for 20 days@11 degrees, CC for 4 days@3 degrees

5CECFD9F-304E-443D-9717-48379E1E0B8B.jpeg

9887FA57-DD12-4940-9A9D-BA541AEEADD8.jpeg

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Mashing in for my AG Heineken Clone 

Hop Schedule is 

10g Northern Brewer@60 min, 25g Hallertau & 25g Saaz@10 mins at 65 degrees, then 10 min mash out at 75 degrees. 

‘Cube overnight then transfer into new fermenter, ferment with M76 Bavarian Lager Yeast 

Ferment for 20 days@11 degrees, CC for 4 days@3 degrees

5CECFD9F-304E-443D-9717-48379E1E0B8B.jpeg

9887FA57-DD12-4940-9A9D-BA541AEEADD8.jpeg

Im trying to make sense of that.

11 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Add 25g of Hallertau & Saaz 10 mins before end of boil (which is 60 mins), then raise temp to 75 degrees for 10 mins 

Boil temp is 100 degrees, how do you raise it to 75 after the boil?

Not making sense to me, are you adding hops in the mash?

Edited by Pale Man