Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

8 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Back in May 2020 I did a Coopers ROTM - Belgian Chocolate Stout https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/belgian-chocolate-stout.html, and I was impressed with the result. So thinking about getting a stout down now that we are heading into the cooler months and having the ingredients I thought that I would try it again. Compared to the original Coopers recipe I just changed a couple of things: I swapped out the 1kg LDME for a 1.5kg Coopers LME tin of goop, I upped the vanilla essence somewhat and I used Nottingham instead of the S-33, + the 7g Coopers yeast with the Devil's Half Ruby Porter. OG was 1.060. It is in the ferment fridge @ 19° at present.

Original finished Belgian Chocolate Stout from a couple of years ago and the new version in the ferment fridge hopefully beginning its ferment, fermenter krausen ring in place as from memory the 1st of these I did wanted to climb out of the fermenter (the yellow in the fermenter is the RAPT Pill which is now reporting to Brewfather via a webhook)..

1394e.JPG

1972e.JPG

love a good stout  and these look pretty good mate i hope thenew stout ya brewing is just as tasty

i think the rapt pill   is going to get a good test  with the krausen with this brew

• Like 3

unfortunately no photos of my brew day   

brewed in the bz35 gen4   and i tell you what   cleaning the bz  after brew   is a sinch ..   with cip pipe   and being conical in a sense at the bottom  just open tap and let it run out   and sucks it all out dry  .

i did the brew in manual mode   , but the next brew  will be done with a profile to mimic as you can still override the bz35l gen4 manually

being a NEIPA  i thought i might get a stuck mash as i didnt use any rice hulls  as the  wheat malt  i thought might get a bit glugy but didnt  and the sparge wasnt fast but not slow either 

the numbers was spot  so i was rather happy there  so hoping in a few weeks i will have a nice  neipa kegged 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ozdevil said:

love a good stout  and these look pretty good mate i hope thenew stout ya brewing is just as tasty

i think the rapt pill   is going to get a good test  with the krausen with this brew

So far the Pill is going OK. Krausen so far only about 50mm, not sure if this will be a "climb out of the FV'" ferment after all. The webhook to Brewfather is also going well as you can see in the screenshot.

SG has come down from from an OG of 1.062 (1.061 by hydrometer) to 1.044 according to the Pill. I am loving the RAPT Pill so far, after the initial problems I had with signal strength attenuation in a SS fermenter. Of course no problem in a plazzi FV. I can watch the progress of the ferment without even going near the ferment fridge and of course without having to take any gravity samples!

Screenshot - 29-Apr-22 , 5_52_04 PM.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah tell me about it, I am halfway through my Dark Ale which is really pleasing on nights like this but tomorrow without fail I am getting some form of Stout on, it's an absolute must.

The recipe i put up is my first ever all grain stout. Ive looked at a lot of recipes and tweaked it down to my own ideas.

Its based on trying to get a Coopers Stout kind of beer.  Its not going to taste exactly like that, but if its clean and fresh and a stout i'll be happy. See how i go, if its a winner everyone is welcome to brew it. If not i'll be sure to be honest. Darker beers ( malts ) give a home brewer more grace. So i'm confident on this one.

No golden gaytime, no easter hot cross bun, no choc top flaming mo stout. Just a good honest all grain meaty stout for winter. I'm confident its going to be a goody.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Amarillo Pale Ale, based on a recipe by Aussie Brewmakers, but scaled up to a 30 litre batch.  I also reduced the boil to 30 minutes and changed the hop additions to suit.

Tried out my home-made hop spider.

Cubed 21-22 litres of 1.077 wort.  In the next few days I will dilute it to around 1.053 and pop it into a fermenter.

• 6.47kg Traditional Pale Malt
  • 400g Wheat Malt
  • 200g Crystal Malt
  • 110g Acidulated Malt
  • 52g Amarillo 30 minute boil
  • 26g Amarillo 20 minute hopstand at 77°C
  • 66g Amarillo 3 day dry hop
  • 10g of Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell Ale yeast in a 1.3 litre with 124g LDM starter
  • ABV predicted 5.3%
  • IBU predicted 32

IMG_2957.JPG.1dbd810b6525d4ae016ae0cc4056c522.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, kmar92 said:

So far the Pill is going OK. Krausen so far only about 50mm, not sure if this will be a "climb out of the FV'" ferment after all. The webhook to Brewfather is also going well as you can see in the screenshot.

SG has come down from from an OG of 1.062 (1.061 by hydrometer) to 1.044 according to the Pill. I am loving the RAPT Pill so far, after the initial problems I had with signal strength attenuation in a SS fermenter. Of course no problem in a plazzi FV. I can watch the progress of the ferment without even going near the ferment fridge and of course without having to take any gravity samples!

Screenshot - 29-Apr-22 , 5_52_04 PM.jpg

while your liking watching the gravity drop , i do as well, and no longer have to take samples  .  you should still take a start gravity reading and a f.g   to compare it with the pill  as  any digital hydrometer such as tilt,pill ispeidal and ifloat  etc    as they are not as accurate  but very close though

i admit  i dont take  any samples  as i dont mind a rough guide and i get my S.g from a refractometer as its only a drop of liquid 

• Like 4

A day of firsts yesterday, Knocked out my first Gose recipe  which also resulted in the first time using Philly sour. 

went fairly traditional with the recipe.  50% pils

50% wheat 

halle mit to 8ibu

28g of coriander seed at 10

28g of sea salt at 10

Came in at an expected 1.046 

I will be fruiting this one. With what fruit im Not sure just yet.  The wort sample tasted interesting. I was worried 28g of sea salt was way too much but it’s surprisingly subtle but certainly present. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

And yet another Golden Ale...   WWW Gold (Triple-Dub Gold).  I called it that because the three hops used all begin with the letter "W".  🤓   Efficiency was much lower than usual...  was aiming for 1.042.  

image.thumb.png.fa6d8c9bbbf7f60aaa5646dbe6a9708c.png

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 7

Put down a preachers hefe partial mash today. 1kg pilsener, 1kg of malted wheat mashed at 65c. Boiled for 30 mins and cubed to cool overnight. Took 1.5L of the wort and making a starter overnight too with the kit yeast. It's supposed to be a speciality wheat yeast. My guess would be lallemand but will see how it goes. Tomorrow afternoon will combine it all together with the can of goo and ferment at 21c.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, BlackSands said:

And yet another Golden Ale...   WWW Gold (Triple-Dub Gold).  I called it that because the three hops used all begin with the letter "W".  🤓   Efficiency was much lower than usual...  was aiming for 1.042.  

Ccuriously, the temp adjust OG was 1.035 but when I checked after the sample had actually cooled it was 1.040.

And, this one has mow completely fermented dry (1.006) in just 18 hours!  🤯

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hoegaarden AG Clone, just mashing in.

3rd time brewing this, definitely a favourite.

D366D7E1-3163-4392-9D38-E9F2F8B34183.jpeg

I have probably seen your photos before, but this is the first time I noticed and wondered: Grain bag instead of malt pipe? Please explain (once your brew day is done).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have probably seen your photos before, but this is the first time I noticed and wondered: Grain bag instead of malt pipe? Please explain (once your brew day is done).

Yes I have a Digiboil, so grain bag it is.

‘Soon to purchase a 65L Brewzilla 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

🤪🤪🤪 - The old Digiboil in the Brewzilla Jacket trick.  I fall for it every time.

Good luck with the 65L Brewzilla.  It is on my radar too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

hold off until 65l bz gen4 turns up , might be a few dollars more, but you will enjoy it better i think

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

hold off until 65l bz gen4 turns up , might be a few dollars more, but you will enjoy it better i think

Wish they'd hurry up and release them already haha

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

How long though? 
No dates on the Kegland website, only No available ETA.

Surely they must know an estimate date?

You can’t advertise something and then put a message saying No available ETA??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

How long though? 
No dates on the Kegland website, only No available ETA.

Surely they must know an estimate date?

You can’t advertise something and then put a message saying No available ETA??

what i have been told  they are looking at july,  this will be dependent on China though 
as  you know China are still in covid lockdown and there is thousands of ships just at anchor.

if your able to hold off mate, you will enjoy the 65l  gen4  and it will give you will be able to do bigger grain bills
then the 3.1.1 

i have seen the 65l bz gen4  brewing   in action  at kegland and  while i have the bz35l gen4 
i am very happy  with them   

the wait will be worth it  in my thoughts  and i am looking to purchase 1 myself

however though if you got the itchy fingers and want to go the 65l bz 3.1.1  ditch  the overflow pipe and purchase the pro screen
the overflow pipe  is not needed  ,  the  gen4's  dont have the overflow pipe   

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 7:34 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

tomorrow without fail I am getting some form of Stout on, it's an absolute must.

Nice one.
My last one has turned out well, but I did not manage to keg it, had to leave the house to not infect the son but I did manage to drop the temp on the fermenting chamber. 

Perhaps I can get to the other house tomorrow.

• Like 3