Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

So Day Three... Wort III... this time an "Aussie Lager"-ish thing now underway... milled up fresh some Weyermann Acidulated, a bit of Gladdy Wheat, and then in the main is Gladdy Lager Light (sic) that is what they the Kiwi Maltsters call it...  and in probably the smallest grain bill I have ever done as some dirty old Dex comes later...  a nice typical thin but hopefully refreshing beer that tastes better than Megaswill even tho it is a bit gutless itself 🥳

Starting from the dirty SS Vessel from Brew II ; )

image.thumb.png.a78d1fed6eb54ebdaae279e130fd99eb.png

• Like 8

Hey @Itinerant Peasant my good man., lovely job. You have been busy these last few days, well done!!  It will be sooooo much better than the mega swilllly stuff I’m sure. And don’t be afraid of the dexy’s midnight runners (dextrose) or even sucrose. It does have its place in Australian brewing. If you want that lighter body and a drier finish you need it I reckon. 
What hops we got for this one great man??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Haha nice work @Tone boy Toner haha! 

Loved the DMR name for it Yeehaa... dirty old Dex... as Frank or @PB2 once told me years ago when I was starting to bring about some continuous improvement in my KnK...  A good Beer Dex does not make haha!

Mate I whacked in a few HTs for the 60 and then at FO some Styrian Goldings... I wanted EKG at the finish as had done a pseudo lager beer ages back with EKG similarly that some of the local punters thought was rather lush but had run out... I actually would like to use Cluster one day for an Aussie Thinboy... and I did have some SuperPride in the stores but it was still sealed up... so went with StyrGold and hope it works out ok... all in very low amounts so it is all very benign haha! 🥳

Nothing anywhere near like the festive 8.2% ABV Black Death with 250+gm of great walloping hoppage from a while back : )

Am keen to try a few more of these Aussie Thinboys and play around with the ingredients to see what we can come up with 👍

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Loved the DMR name for it Yeehaa... dirty old Dex... as Frank or @PB2 once told me years ago when I was starting to bring about some continuous improvement in my KnK...  A good Beer Dex does not make haha!

Mate I whacked in a few HTs for the 60 and then at FO some Styrian Goldings... I wanted EKG at the finish as had done a pseudo lager beer ages back with EKG similarly that some of the local punters thought was rather lush but had run out... I actually would like to use Cluster one day for an Aussie Thinboy... and I did have some SuperPride in the stores but it was still sealed up... so went with StyrGold and hope it works out ok... all in very low amounts so it is all very benign haha! 🥳

Nothing anywhere near like the festive 8.2% ABV Black Death with 250+gm of great walloping hoppage from a while back : )

Am keen to try a few more of these Aussie Thinboys and play around with the ingredients to see what we can come up with 👍

I think you need to touch base with the great @iBooz2boozer as he is the king of the Aussie lagers (Leigh’s lager!!) and will have some great tips. You there Al??

I think if you’re going to put DMR sexy dexy in there, carapils is your friend for some head retention…🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I just made a beer with super pride it turned out really well to the point where my dad took the keg 🤣 and I am cold crashing a KB lager which I will keg on Sunday will let you know how it goes!

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Tone boy said:

I think you need to touch base with the great @iBooz2boozer as he is the king of the Aussie lagers (Leigh’s lager!!) and will have some great tips. You there Al??

I think if you’re going to put DMR sexy dexy in there, carapils is your friend for some head retention…🤔

Cheers @Tone boy yes Boozer @iBooz2 is a Lager Gun... happy for any tips there Boozer on Aussie styles mate : )

I also did borrow a few ideas off Award Winning Mitch @MitchBastard who not long ago won an Aussie Lager category in a Brew Comp ; )

Thanks re the Carapils idea  @Tone boy Toner - I really should get some of that good stuff for sure.... but in Carapils' absence -- never fear freshly milled Malt is here haha -- Slipped in a nice dollop of Wheat so am thinking we might be ok for head and head retention....

But as my fellow Brewer @Aussiekraut Aussie K advises me - be careful young Brewer you might end up with too much body haha!  Bit of a bizarre concept that I am still trying to come to grips with ; )

The below Atlas SMASH is probably the closest I have recently come to it... end of last year... but suspect that Brew had way too much body for the Aussie Thinboy Style but at least the ABV was 5.1% so that was not too far off ?  

All part of an interesting journey for me into the lighter styles 👍

image.png.7fe86d566a1471419ccdc8f978c1b7ce.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2022 at 7:22 PM, Tone boy said:

Hey @Itinerant Peasant my good man., lovely job. You have been busy these last few days, well done!!  It will be sooooo much better than the mega swilllly stuff I’m sure. And don’t be afraid of the dexy’s midnight runners (dextrose) or even sucrose. It does have its place in Australian brewing. If you want that lighter body and a drier finish you need it I reckon. 

I was thinking the same thing Toner, Aussie lagers need a bit of the Dex I reckon, I've done with and without and the Dex Aussie lagers are better for the addition IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2022 at 1:48 AM, RDT2 said:

I just made a beer with super pride it turned out really well to the point where my dad took the keg 🤣 and I am cold crashing a KB lager which I will keg on Sunday will let you know how it goes!

How much super pride went in there RDT2, and how was it introduced? I've had some poor outcomes with my SP adds be interested for sure. 

14 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Cheers @Tone boy yes Boozer @iBooz2 is a Lager Gun... happy for any tips there Boozer on Aussie styles mate : )

I also did borrow a few ideas off Award Winning Mitch @MitchBastard who not long ago won an Aussie Lager category in a Brew Comp ; )

Thanks re the Carapils idea  @Tone boy Toner - I really should get some of that good stuff for sure.... but in Carapils' absence -- never fear freshly milled Malt is here haha -- Slipped in a nice dollop of Wheat so am thinking we might be ok for head and head retention....

But as my fellow Brewer @Aussiekraut Aussie K advises me - be careful young Brewer you might end up with too much body haha!  Bit of a bizarre concept that I am still trying to come to grips with ; )

The below Atlas SMASH is probably the closest I have recently come to it... end of last year... but suspect that Brew had way too much body for the Aussie Thinboy Style but at least the ABV was 5.1% so that was not too far off ?  

All part of an interesting journey for me into the lighter styles 👍

image.png.7fe86d566a1471419ccdc8f978c1b7ce.png

The Mighty, Majestic, Magnificent, post is back and on fire. Geez IP, blaaarrrrdy extraordinary work. I'd presume you'll be given the rest of the day off my good man.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

How much super pride went in there RDT2, and how was it introduced? I've had some poor outcomes with my SP adds be interested for sure. 

No worries mate I posted the recipe above it was a full volume boil with 6.9 grams at 60 min and 12.4 grams at 5 mins. So not very much for 18 ibus. You could probably give it a bit more but I would be cautious as I think it would be harsh if you went over the top.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 3:56 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Day Three... Wort III... this time an "Aussie Lager"-ish thing

Didn't get around to this important Brew Day finding earlier my apologies... 

But Reinheitsgebot Brewdog did not seem to be very impressed when I got the Dex out!?!

image.thumb.png.16a0b5e4313c2637c9c5e0cc738993f8.png

"wwwtttffff are you doing with that Dirty Old Dex... thought we gave that up ages ago?"

🥳

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Didn't get around to this important Brew Day finding earlier my apologies... 

But Reinheitsgebot Brewdog did not seem to be very impressed when I got the Dex out!?!

image.thumb.png.16a0b5e4313c2637c9c5e0cc738993f8.png

"wwwtttffff are you doing with that Dirty Old Dex... thought we gave that up ages ago?"

🥳

Reinheitsgebot Brewdog is clearly not amused 🥴 

• Haha 2

My first AG Brew day is getting closer, originally my plan was to set up the laundry but the tap connector with the male hose thingy was too small to fit on the tap, no bigger ones available so Plan B, I discovered by accident there is on old but working power point under the table shown in the first pic, my neighbour is putting in a new outdoor double point for me & Mr BrewZilla can sit on it, to my left is a tap. The 2m hose (not shown) I bought will fit perfectly on the Immersion Chiller when the parts arrive from KL.

So I will be just outside the kitchen undercover for my maiden voyage.

Also there is a fridge with beer in it close by. 👍 🍻

20220312_103708.thumb.jpg.fed35ba438d51df0548e47b5c03bc0ea.jpg20220312_103738.thumb.jpg.d8a6e595e5f596eb544b19b884434a9f.jpg

• Like 3

Raspberry Philly Sour Session Ale

Based on a recipe from Aussie Brewmakers in Mansfield.  Well it is their recipe upped to 27 litres instead of 23 litres.

• 4.68kg Pale Malt (mostly their Barret Burston and some of my Joe White)
  • 300g Wheat Malt (Joe White, theirs and mine)
  • 200g Medium Crystal Malt (Joe White, theirs and mine)
  • 180g Acid Malt (their Gladfield Sour Grapes and my generic acidulated malt)
  • 170g Quick Cooking Oats (mine, their recipe says Rolled Oats, and I had it but could not be bothered with a cereal mash, so I went with the Quick Oats)
  • 25g Cashmere 30 minute boil
  • 18.5g Cashmere 10 minute boil
  • 18.5g Cashmere 5 minute boil
  • 2 packets Lallemand Philly Sour yeast
  • 4ml Raspberry extract once ferment is complete
  • OG was 1.048 (predicted 1.046)
  • FG predicted 1.012
  • ABV predicted 4.7%
  • EBC predicted 12
  • IBU predicted 20
  • 26.8 litres into Coopers FV

How accurate are the Coopers volume markings on their FV's?  Although 26.8 litres was the volume based on markings, based on my scales there should have been 28.4 litres in the FV.  Both my scales and the FV markings could be out.  I will have to check this the next time I fill the FV with water.

This was another brew where I did a slightly concentrated batch, then added 5.2 litres of water.  Took me from 1.060 to 1.048.

IMG_2883.JPG.39bf318a0753f5989d8e510e45a837c6.JPG

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How accurate are the Coopers volume markings on their FV's?  Although 26.8 litres was the volume based on markings, based on my scales there should have been 28.4 litres in the FV.  Both my scales and the FV markings could be out.  I will have to check this the next time I fill the FV with water.

This was another brew where I did a slightly concentrated batch, then added 5.2 litres of water.  Took me from 1.060 to 1.048

Healthy looking brew Shamus, I am curious about your scales, they look like good ones, are they expensive ?

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Healthy looking brew Shamus, I am curious about your scales, they look like good ones, are they expensive ?

Hi Classic, no they were the cheapest I could find. Around $50 at Kogan. Kegland have similar looking scales for about the same price.

My BIL is in the weighing industry.  I asked him about these scales and he just scoffed.  His cheapest scales like these start around $500. But they are commercial grade.

I think mine is reasonably accurate.  Side by side with some cheap kitchen scales,  4.5kg weighed the same.  Mine weighs in 5 gram steps. Go up to 40kg.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Classic, no they were the cheapest I could find. Around $50 at Kogan. Kegland have similar looking scales for about the same price.

My BIL is in the weighing industry.  I asked him about these scales and he just scoffed.  His cheapest scales like these start around $500. But they are commercial grade.

I think mine is reasonably accurate.  Side by side with some cheap kitchen scales,  4.5kg weighed the same.  Mine weighs in 5 gram steps. Go up to 40kg.

OK thanks, that sounds good I may check out KL. 

Well been a hectic day in the brew house nothing was going right for  me the good wife was not allowing me a beer lol

any way brew a sierra nevada clone  despite my hick ups brew day was a success  hit the numbers i wanted at 1.048.

i also played around with equipment profile a bit more   

1328221675_s.npaleale.jpg.fd0133984b5055faeaa134f8451dd215.jpg

anyway happy with a 4.7%Abv   as this  is another brew i am doing for my golf social day

• Like 2