Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

Been busy the last week made a Emu Export clone for my mate and then a Secret Galaxy Pacific ale pictured in active fermentation. (Smells so good) My shed looks a bit like the classic brewery at the moment with three fermenters in action including the German Pilsner! Emu Expert has hit Fg of 1006 hydrometer reads 4 low. Only did a 40 minute boil with Secret Galaxy so used less water than listed in recipe.

555F62F0-5B6D-4CED-A607-42EDE7AD8942.png

4FA48897-E6E4-43C3-95FE-2D1F0FB4DA67.jpeg

E6F7FDC7-27FA-44AD-B7AD-FEDF214B3EC4.png

0452573C-0F6E-45DC-9A1E-FAB62A705529.jpeg

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Been busy the last week made a Emu Export clone for my mate and then a Secret Galaxy Pacific ale pictured in active fermentation. (Smells so good) My shed looks a bit like the classic brewery at the moment with three fermenters in action including the German Pilsner! Emu Expert has hit Fg of 1006 hydrometer reads 4 low. Only did a 40 minute boil with Secret Galaxy so used less water than listed in recipe.

You have been busy @RDT2 keep us posted on the Emu Export.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

That is so impressive and organised, now I see why I forget to add things at the right time.

I need to lift my game.

Well done.

Thanks Dave, @MUZZY, @Classic Brewing Co & @Mickep.  I copied the idea from David Heath on YouTube.  Without the strips of paper and the Grainfather app beeping at me every 5 minutes, I would forget an addition too.

David Heath's version of this brew only has a 30 minute boil time.  This seems to be the "modern" approach with a lot of brews.  I bumped my boil time to 50 minutes, even though the first hop addition is not until 30 minutes.  The extra 20 minutes gives me time to properly drain and clean the malt pipe before things get a bit hectic.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Is that why you changed the recipe name to Emu Expert?  Because you are so good at it now.

Na it’s what my dad calls it. He reckons you have a few and instantly become an expert on everything 🤣 

• Haha 8

On 8/28/2022 at 3:00 AM, Hilltop hops said:

Vintage Ale ROTM, haven't done a kit based beer in a long time. How did everyone rate last year's Vintage Ale kit? 

20220828_101519.jpg

I really liked it. Still got a few left, keeps on getting better 👍

Mine was a lot darker for some reason. I had to replace the Coopers Wheat with another Wheat kit since I can't get it here, maybe that had something to do with it.

Just seen that the 2022 recipe is out - must give it a go 👍

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 4

Brew day today! Was wide awake at 4am so I started a brew. Double batch (38l) of Australian Pale Ale. 19 litres will go in a cornie and the rest split between stubbies and longnecks. I owe out a few brews for various acts of kindness (like to the fella who gave me his old chest freezer for one).

Takes a bloody long while to cool down 38 litres though! I collected as much water as I could to chuck on the lawn since we’re still in a hosepipe ban, still a bit of a waste … 

Third run of the Coopers yeast, when this one is done I’ll use half for the ROTM

D7B08968-FF82-40EE-B7E2-86DEB82F13C7.jpeg

5ECB2245-4994-4ADF-823A-7253B10A379E.jpeg

79E659CC-08BC-4CD9-ACCE-866CE0318EF9.jpeg

335BED5B-0798-4EB1-94BC-1BFCAF85E453.jpeg

BD0A21B4-25F3-48E7-88EA-118FAB93F729.jpeg

E81E5C45-7176-4C8C-A216-92BCEDA02084.jpeg

35B28E67-F556-455B-9C2E-7132FC348660.jpeg

C259BC79-0636-432A-B30F-351061B1DF14.jpeg

• Like 9

First brew day for me for a little while last Friday. Batch #78 AG #38.  Cooked up a double AG batch of my house Summer Pilsner using just Summer hops for bittering and aroma.  Last time I did this, mucked up the IBU by having the wrong AA numbers in Brewfather so it turned out just a little too bitter for me.  Anyway error discovered and rectified so this batch should be where I want it.  

Going to drop these two cubes in on top of the WLP800 yeast cake from last batch.  Be interesting because this is the second dirty batch in the 58 L SS Kegmenter and because I did not have time to keg the beer last time so just drank it off the top the of yeast cake until it was just covering the yeast.   Then left it like that under about 10 psi at 2 C for four months to the day (as it has worked out) before I got to do another brew day of same recipe.

Hopefully I don't come unstuck and it turns out OK.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

Brew Day now underway 😀

Some sort of Spring Beer... will be with lovely fresh Gladdy Ale Malt (all I have) and some Wey Carapils Dexys Midnight Runner Malt... 

Probs some HT Mit long and maybe some Citra Short at FO 😋

But then hopefully dumped over a Dubbya Yeast Cake so bit of a Hybrid : )

image.thumb.png.f4656f533243df0bb8ab796ec8a8ed1e.png

• Like 9

On 8/30/2022 at 5:57 PM, iBooz2 said:

just drank it off the top the of yeast cake until it was just covering the yeast.   Then left it like that under about 10 psi at 2 C for four months to the day (as it has worked out) before I got to do another brew day of same recipe.

@iBooz2 Boozer that is such an efficient way to do things... nice work.  Cuts down on the cleaning, and buying yeast, and keeps production going... great work mate!  

I have consistently been doing 'dirty batch FV backfill' Brews for some time now with good outcomes...  but never been piping off the brew once complete in the ferment vessel - that takes things to another level! 

Great stuff 👍

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nice set-up RD, sadly my shed has a low roof, I am 6 foot 2" & can stand up in it but not high enough for a pulley system.

Bummer @Classic Brewing Co, I have a back verandah so underneath it I drilled a pilot hole and mounted a heavy duty hook into the cross member (which is hardwood), so it’s my brewing area, outdoor tv and pool area, p&ss up area, Kamado Joe cooking area, multitude of areas really. 😝😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

Bummer @Classic Brewing Co, I have a back verandah so underneath it I drilled a pilot hole and mounted a heavy duty hook into the cross member (which is hardwood), so it’s my brewing area, outdoor tv and pool area, p&ss up area, Kamado Joe cooking area, multitude of areas really. 😝😝

So apart from work, that's where you spend most of your time 🤣

Sounds perfectly OK to me anyway. 🍻

• Haha 1

Need to make beer without going to a shop so...

Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 9.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 51.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          60.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          20.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          20.0 %        0.65 L        
10.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           4          15.1 IBUs     -             
15.00 ml         Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           5          36.2 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Hophead Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M66)         Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 5

On 8/28/2022 at 11:00 AM, Hilltop hops said:

Vintage Ale ROTM, haven't done a kit based beer in a long time. How did everyone rate last year's Vintage Ale kit? 

20220828_101519.jpg

Have this years kit as well, no chance to brew it yet due to post surgery lifting restrictions. didn't get last years kit, but found some bottle, delicious. Saying that I brewed the Regency Park's kit and after a while I preferred mine to the original as the hop flavors mellowed out a bit.

IMG_3291.jpeg

regency park.jpeg

• Like 6