Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 87.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 60.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                 Grain         1          59.3 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          14.8 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          14.8 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt (1300.0 EBC)       Grain         4          3.7 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Gladfield Eclipse Wheat (1400.0 EBC)             Grain         5          3.7 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (300.0 EBC)     Grain         6          3.7 %         0.16 L        
50.00 g          Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  Hop           7          21.2 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           8          39.2 IBUs     -             

Probs Coopers yeast from the Sparkling

Nice looking brew ingredients. Are you gunna keg it or bottle? Have you tried the lactose to sour it or is it not appropriate for the recipe?

• Like 1

Brew day Saturday again. Batch #83 AG #42 another COPA this one ver 2.0  Coopers Original Pale Ale recipe.

Just to build up stocks of easy drinkers.

EBC = 8  IBU = 25  OG = 1.040  FG = 1.013  ABV = 4.0 %

I tried a wham bam thank you mam mash on this one, just 65 C for 60 " and it came in 4 points under predicted 1.044 so ABV will be lower.  Normally I do a step mash with a slow temp rise from the 45 C up to the 65 C and a mash out (No Sparge) so in future if I do a single step mash may have to sparge to leach out more sugars.

4500 g Coopers Premium Pale Malt.

250 g Wheat Malt

50 g Crystal Light Malt

15 g PoR hops at 60"

15 g PoR hops at 5 "

4 ml Lactic acid in the mash. (note needs to be about 5 ml as PH was just 5.8)

1/4 heaped teaspoon of Whirlfloc (granulated) at 5"

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

On 9/19/2022 at 6:19 PM, Pale Man said:

Looks like roast wheat 

I'm no farmer but my bro ordered some so I'll take some snaps up close for you & let you know if it smells like bread during the mash. Also send a pic of @Hoppy81 's dog to the 'Dogs..........'  thread

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

I'm no farmer

But you are a Fridgie-King aren't you @JoeB7 JB?

Question for your - your help please 🙏

I have an upright freezer - that has fixed shelves with coolant running through it - I did use it for lagering bottles in milk crates - but am thinking my dear ancient old mum could use it...

I need to drive it on up there a good few hours away - can I lie it down in the back of the station wagon on its side - then when I get there lift it back up - leave it stand 24 hours or overnight - and then fire it up ok?

I just cannot transport it upright... 

It is probably 20 years or more old...

Your help please? @JoeB7 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pezzza said:

But you are a Fridgie-King aren't you @JoeB7 JB?

Question for your - your help please 🙏

I have an upright freezer - that has fixed shelves with coolant running through it - I did use it for lagering bottles in milk crates - but am thinking my dear ancient old mum could use it...

I need to drive it on up there a good few hours away - can I lie it down in the back of the station wagon on its side - then when I get there lift it back up - leave it stand 24 hours or overnight - and then fire it up ok?

I just cannot transport it upright... 

It is probably 20 years or more old...

Your help please? @JoeB7 

Hey Pezzza mate ! still IP for a while 😉

I'm not of the trade but I always heard that if the fridge went horizontal you had to leave it upright a day for the gas to settle again. But a pro will tell you better...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, stquinto said:

I'm not of the trade but I always heard that if the fridge went horizontal you had to leave it upright a day for the gas to settle again. But a pro will tell you better...

Thanks @stquinto Sainter...  I sorta thought that was the Gig... and hopefully JB @JoeB7 will confirm for us...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Hey Pezzza mate ! still IP for a while 😉

For what it is worth I will add my rather large 40-year-old (now keg/tap fridge was transported to my current address lying on its side) a refrigeration mechanic said it would be fine as long as I left it for 24 hours in the upright position before turning it on.

It is fine & I pour beers from without any issue.

• Like 4

Brew Day all done and cooling now overnight.

Probably a Märzen of sorts... Freshly milled Pale Malt (no Pilly or Lager Malt), Munich and Wheat... Ht Mit long, and then late cos they needed using up - did a FO steep for 10 or so with Hop Spider with some SuperPride and Citra... bizarre combo yes but should be ok : )

But of course... it's yet another Amber Beer... well Darker Amber this time 😆

image.thumb.png.06e821bff6759f4f42031b45a9f05ef6.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Another brew day today.  Batch #84 AG #43 another COPA this one ver 2.1  Coopers Original Pale Ale recipe.

Yeah I know, I know three COPA's in a row.  Just trying to get my head around this Coopers Premium Pale Malt as I keep coming up short on gravity and efficiency so I am mucking around with different mash schedules.  Leaving the hops alone for the time being until I get to taste the first COPA (AG#41) which will get kegged on Sunday.  The batch made today will go in as a dirty batch on top of the trub from AG#41 after kegging.

EBC = 8  IBU = 25  OG = 1.043  FG = 1.010  ABV = 4.3 %

This one was mashed at 45 C for 15" then 63 C for 30" and then 70 C for 30".  I also did a 1.7 litre "kitchen kettle sparge" just to rinse out any reticent sugars.

4600 g Coopers Premium Pale Malt.

250 g Wheat Malt

50 g Crystal Light Malt

15 g PoR hops at 60"

15 g PoR hops at 5 "

5 ml Lactic acid in the mash.

1/4 heaped teaspoon of Whirlfloc (granulated) at 5"

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, iBooz2 said:

keep coming up short on gravity and efficiency

I sorta have given up on that a bit @iBooz2 to some degree, Boozer and buy 25kg bags and just use a bit more Malt...

I believe I could do a bit better if I modify pH  - found to a degree when using Acidulated - but I am happy with my pure filtered  rainwater and I think that the extra malt also brings something extra to the brews somehow too...  more body more flavour.

I think that Weyermann malts also seem to punch out a bit more than say the likes of Voyager... that said Voyager Malts make great beer... so I just mill a bit more and keep going... 

And when kind Pezza Mountain Brewery Visitors suggest I could sell my beer very easily I am quick to point out I probs would also go broke very quickly haha!

But I guess if you could sell a 600ml bottle for $15 (some Bottlo Craft Beers) maybe you could make ends meet haha!

Good luck with that Brew mate looks to be another very nice Ale!

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

I sorta have given up on that a bit @iBooz2 to some degree, Boozer and buy 25kg bags and just use a bit more Malt...

Yep I hear you.  I gave the same advice to @kmar92 when he first got his Nano system and was wetting his nappies over it (sorry K). 🤔  He was going to introduce a sparge to see if it made a difference.

I was just interested in why the software (when the right grain specs have been entered as in the case of the Coopers and others) left me a bit short whereas say MO does not. ????

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep I hear you.  I gave the same advice to @kmar92 when he first got his Nano system and was wetting his nappies over it (sorry K). 🤔  He was going to introduce a sparge to see if it made a difference.

I was just interested in why the software (when the right grain specs have been entered as in the case of the Coopers and others) left me a bit short whereas say MO does not. ????

I had a few problems with my G40 for the first cuppla brews. I seem to have got the hang of it now. When copying the recipe over (invariably from Grainfather) if I don't like the figures it gives on the OG front I up the grain bill a bit, and the software ajusts the OG accordingly.  Normally only the pale grain though as too much of a darker one might throw the recipe out of kilter. I ended up with a Coopers APA clone at 5.5%, which is a bit much, but still very balanced. Or maybe I just consume too many higher octane brews , which is also possible 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I have had similar problems with Coopers Premium Pale malt and undershooting the OG predicted by Brewfather. Sparging does make a big difference but as discussed just upping the quantity of malt is also effective. I have set up a profile in Brewfather for when I use CPP malt that hits the numbers with no sparge, probably uses $1 worth more malt but that is negligible and probably less than the cost of heating the sparge water. I am not sure why when using CPP malt that it undershoots even though all the relevant info is entered into Brewfather, I also find as you do @iBooz2 that when I use MO I have no problems hitting the numbers that Brewfather predicts. Maybe a quirk of the software - dunno?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

2 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

when I use MO I have no problems hitting the numbers that Brewfather predicts.

I would suggest MO is from Pom and Euro Malts facilitate more efficiency in my experience and that is exactly what my Voyager Malt supplier advised when I first started using the very very lovely Voyager Veloria that makes great beer but yer need a bit more grain to make the gain ; )

However, you would think if they were Software Specific Coopers Malt Numbers in yer software... well I dunno. 

My gut feel is that the fellas using the thing skinny electronic things like RoboZilla and Grand-Guten-Daddy-Father and all those high tech things -- not us big fat SS Vat BIAB Boys -- do actually manage to create more efficiency.

@Shamus O'Sean SOS and @Aussiekraut AK don't you blokes continue to whinge about overshooting OG?  That would be my idea of a good time haha!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Another brew day for me today.  Getting to be a bit of a habit lately.

This is batch #85 AG#44.  My 150 Lashes Clone.

Target beer is 4.2% ABV and an IBU of 18.5, EBC is unknown so just let my chosen malts do the talking.  It uses Amarillo, Willamette, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy but unsure of the schedule so I just had a crack.  This is version 1.0 and will adjust the recipe after taste tests.

My recipe:

Grains:

3000 g Coopers premium pale malt 3.9 EBC.

1000 g Munich T1 (light) 17.5 EBC.

250 g Wheat malt 4 EBC.

Hops:

10 g Amarillo for 60” = 13 IBU

10 g Nelson Sauvin for 5” = 4 IBU

5 g Galaxy for 5” = 3 IBU

5 g Styrian Golding for 5” (my substitute for Willamette) = 0.8 IBU

The last 3 additions to try and match the aroma.

Mash:

4 ml lactic acid in mash water - 35 L filtered rainwater – no salts added

50 C for 20”

65 C for 60”

72 C for 15”

76.5 C for 10”

So predicted result was ABV=4.6% EBC=10 IBU=20

Using a harvested US-05 yeast for this one and will be pitched this week sometime.

This batch I downgraded the potential for the Coopers premium malt in Brewfather.  Coopers spec sheet says 80 – 83 % and I previously had it set to 1.037 or 80.1% so dropped it back a couple of clicks to 1.035 or 75.8% and my pre boil and post boil grav's were spot on along with my volumes so now happy days.  I just think Coopers numbers are based on absolute professional mash and lautering techniques which are pretty much unobtainable by the home brewer.

• Like 6