Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

Another brew day last Monday.  Batch #86 AG #45 another COPA this one ver 3.0  Coopers Original Pale Ale recipe.

After kegging and carbing up the COPA ver 1.0 I am very happy with this recipe's taste as it is near perfectly spot on for the Coopers Original Pale Ale so don't want to stuff with it too much.  I sorta got addicted to this commercial beer whilst traveling through SA and NT earlier this year so hence several clone batches brewed up.  I will buy a commercial bottle and do a side by side comparison in the near future and post some pics.  That being said I have altered the hops very slightly (20 g PoR at 5" instead of 15 g PoR at 5") to see what it will do.

The batch made Monday got pitched as a dirty batch on Tuesday on top of the trub from COPA ver 2.0 after it was kegged.

EBC = 8  IBU = 27  OG = 1.044  FG = 1.010  ABV = 4.5 %

This one was mashed at 45 C for 15" then 63 C for 30" and then 70 C for 30".  I also did a 1.7 litre "kitchen kettle sparge" just to rinse out any reticent sugars.

4600 g Coopers Premium Pale Malt.

250 g Wheat Malt

50 g Crystal Light Malt

15 g PoR hops at 60"

20 g PoR hops at 5 "

5 ml Lactic acid in the mash.

1/4 heaped teaspoon of Whirlfloc (granulated) at 5"

@Classic Brewing Co hey Phil, if you love your pale ales and the green label Coopers beer then I suggest you make notes of these COPA recipes (ver 1.0 to 3.0) that I have brewed up lately.  Perfect copies IMO.  So get yourself some Coopers Premium Pale Malt and go for it.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, beach_life said:

You using the Coopers yeast?

Yep, I am a big user of CCA yeast.  Always use 6 - 8 stubbies of mild ale or pale ale and say 3 - 4 L starters to propagate enough for my batches.  The lower alcohol commercial beers always work and never fail me.  I have got some CCA saved from 6 stubbies of sparkling ale sealed up in the fridge but may toss that as I already have enough CCA on the go atm.

• Like 3

Recipe: Summer Ale 
Style: Australian lager

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          12.5 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          12.5 %        0.33 L        
20.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 9 Hop           4          6.3 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90. Hop           5          9.5 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           6          7.6 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54)          Yeast         7          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 7

On 10/5/2022 at 9:24 AM, iBooz2 said:

Another brew day last Monday.  Batch #86 AG #45 another COPA this one ver 3.0  Coopers Original Pale Ale recipe.

After kegging and carbing up the COPA ver 1.0 I am very happy with this recipe's taste as it is near perfectly spot on for the Coopers Original Pale Ale so don't want to stuff with it too much.  I sorta got addicted to this commercial beer whilst traveling through SA and NT earlier this year so hence several clone batches brewed up.  I will buy a commercial bottle and do a side by side comparison in the near future and post some pics.  That being said I have altered the hops very slightly (20 g PoR at 5" instead of 15 g PoR at 5") to see what it will do.

The batch made Monday got pitched as a dirty batch on Tuesday on top of the trub from COPA ver 2.0 after it was kegged.

EBC = 8  IBU = 27  OG = 1.044  FG = 1.010  ABV = 4.5 %

This one was mashed at 45 C for 15" then 63 C for 30" and then 70 C for 30".  I also did a 1.7 litre "kitchen kettle sparge" just to rinse out any reticent sugars.

250 g Wheat Malt

50 g Crystal Light Malt

15 g PoR hops at 60"

20 g PoR hops at 5 "

@Classic Brewing Co hey Phil, if you love your pale ales and the green label Coopers beer then I suggest you make notes of these COPA recipes (ver 1.0 to 3.0) that I have brewed up lately.  Perfect copies IMO.  So get yourself some Coopers Premium Pale Malt and go for it.

Thanks for the recipe @iBooz2 Boozer, I'll be trying it out👍

The Coopers APA is my go-to light-coloured beer: lovely drop, I can ferment at ale temperatures, and I've got a sh*t-load of PoR to use (still got about 920gm...)

I also agree with @Pezzza there: I've got too many dark or amber coloured ales on the go. Too many high-octane ones too...

Just out of interest, how many generations of Coopers Commercial do you use before it's time to retire the trub to the big yeast cake in The Sky ? I've done two lots of Coopers APA and one Vintage 22, with enough left over to do at least another brew.

Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Thanks for the recipe @iBooz2 Boozer, I'll be trying it out👍

Thanks @stquinto , I will pay it forward sometime but it was @beach_life (or his prequel avatar or two) that slipped me a bit of top secret info and I went pretty much with that in my recipe.  Had to guess the hoping schedule but It has turned out better than I had hoped for.  Now sipping on keg ver 2.0 and I just like it.  Just the way a pale ale should be and very satisfied.

With CCA yeast I go from 6 or 8 stubbies of pale ale into a 3 - 4 L starter then when it dies down a bit it goes into the inital batch.

Then after kegging that one I do a dirty batch into the next one.  Then again I do a further dirty batch into the final COPA.

So after the initial brew and two dirty batches into brews 2 and 3.  I then do a final dirty batch into a higher ABV Coopers Sparkling Ale.  After that the yeast cake is tipped into the garden and I start over.

BTW my CCA yeast harvests and cakes have been hitting 82% attenuation so I suggest you alter your brewing software to 82% for this yeast.  Also don't forget if you alter any itinerary item specification in your brewing software (such as brew father) you need to delete that item from any old recipes and re-add it so that it re-calculates things correctly.  Yes this is a big bug in these software platforms and pisses me off that it does not automatically update calculated numbers across all past recipes when you alter the spec of some ingredient.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, beach_life said:
Recipe: Summer Ale 
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          12.5 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          12.5 %        0.33 L        
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With 500 g of Carapils AND 500 g of wheat it is sure going to be a heady beer.  Love the hop selection and schedule.  What beer type or similar brand were you aiming for in this recipe @beach_life ? 

And FFS don't just say drinkable BEER!

• Haha 3

Extra special beer 

At least I’m hoping anyway…

• coopers pale ale kit 1.7 kg
  • briess pale ale unhopped liquid 1.5 kg
  • Best ale malt 1kg
  • light Munich 300g
  • light crystal 200g
  • dark crystal 75g
  • 10g super pride @ 20 mins 
  • 25g Fuggles @ 5 mins 
  • Nottingham yeast

Sparge underway now…CF3BAFDB-DED2-4900-A9FA-4E99A03A8B47.thumb.jpeg.93b5158ed8c6c294e2c6e6c18153bf4d.jpeg16DCBDE9-5A20-4C53-A8F1-762ACFAF5A72.thumb.jpeg.85333aa16ecbd982c5cfc7ea2c8a2f02.jpeg

• Like 7

On 10/5/2022 at 6:24 PM, iBooz2 said:

250 g Wheat Malt

50 g Crystal Light Malt

15 g PoR hops at 60"

20 g PoR hops at 5 "

Yep. Saved that for another day.  Thanks Boozer

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is today’s brew. Fairly simple recipe, but 138gm of cascade 😳

Reckon it’ll make you pull a face like a bulldog licking p*ss off a nettle…

May as well chuck in 100g of your POR as well then you can fly to the moon, move over Elon 🚀

Sierra Nevada Pale & IPA are one of my favourite beers.

• Haha 1

All done. 5 hours, not including the clean. I had to use Mangove Jack’s 54 (Californian lager) as I had no MJ44 (West Coast ale). Hope it’s ok.

Undershot a bit on the OG - 1.053 instead of 1.058. Maybe the FG will be lower and compensate. It’ll still be ok around 5%

45D93F25-E362-484F-AE63-67D906D1698B.jpeg

8293F35E-633C-4C54-9868-93AA0B2DAF0D.jpeg

5AA2CB87-1391-4B76-B817-0B8D4FFD232F.jpeg

• Like 7

36A8369C-F023-4E7F-A888-B85956DF13CC.thumb.jpeg.c7237ac3f46dc0ad0812048e9189d855.jpeg

Bought a couple of new toys for the kettle recently. A grain basket increase disc and this very shiny whirlpool shovel from BAC brewing in Italy who make aftermarket toys for the Braumeister range. Expensive but well worth it so far.

Batch Brewing XPA clone brewed yesterday.

• Like 10

Another brew day today.

This is batch #87 AG#46.  My 150 Lashes Clone ver 2.0.  Played around with sequence of hops to see what it will do re the clone.

Target beer is 4.2% ABV and an IBU of 18.5, EBC is unknown so just let my chosen malts do the talking.  It uses Amarillo, Willamette, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy so will adjust the recipe after taste tests.

My recipe:

Grains:

3000 g Coopers premium pale malt 3.9 EBC.

1000 g Munich T1 (light) 17.5 EBC.

250 g Wheat malt 4 EBC.

Hops:

15 g Styrian Golding for 60” (my substitute for Willamette) = 8 IBU

10 g Amarillo for 5” = 4 IBU

10 g Nelson Sauvin for 5” = 4 IBU

5 g Galaxy for 5” = 3 IBU

Mash:

4 ml lactic acid in mash water - 35 L filtered rainwater – no salts added

50 C for 20”

65 C for 60”

72 C for 15”

76.5 C for 10”

So predicted result was ABV=4.6% EBC=10 IBU=18

Using whole trub of 150 lashes ver 1.0 which is US-05 yeast for this one and will be pitched tomorrow after ver 1.0 is kegged up.

Next brew day will be on Tuesday and it will be a Coopers Sparkling Ale using their Premium Pale Malt.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

36A8369C-F023-4E7F-A888-B85956DF13CC.thumb.jpeg.c7237ac3f46dc0ad0812048e9189d855.jpeg

Bought a couple of new toys for the kettle recently. A grain basket increase disc and this very shiny whirlpool shovel from BAC brewing in Italy who make aftermarket toys for the Braumeister range. Expensive but well worth it so far.

Batch Brewing XPA clone brewed yesterday.

Nice fella.

• Like 3

Yesterday (Saturday) I brewed a beer called Sue's Seahorse Kolsch.  This beer is dedicated to my sister, who passed away in 2020 from cancer.  I was previously making this same beer on the day she passed.  Coincidently, last night, we had Sue's memorial service (party).  Ten people were allowed at her actual funeral, due to covid.  We had something around 100 people at the memorial.  It was a great night with people in attendance from every era of my sister's life, from secondary school to her last job.  I told her husband, the brother-in-law I brew for, that I had done this beer during the day.  Her was wrapped because he was going to ask me to make this brew again.  Great minds think alike.

• 30 litre batch, 25 litres of wort topped up by 5 litres of water in the fermenter.
  • Should be: OG - 1.044; FG - 1.011; ABV - 4.3%; IBU - 22
  • 4.76kg Joe White Pilsner
  • 350g Carapils
  • 230g Amber Malt
  • 180g Wheat Malt
  • 170g Acidulated Malt
  • 11g Magnum 50 minute boil
  • 32g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and 21g Tettnang 10 minute boil
  • 31g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and 25g Tettnang 20 minute hopstand @80°C
  • Water minerals added for a Kolsch water profile
  • Lallemand Kolsch Koln yeast
  • Like 19

Another groundhog brew day today.

This is batch #88 AG#47.  My Coopers Sparkling Ale Clone ver 3.0.  

Target beer is 5.8 % ABV and an IBU of 32, EBC is unknown so let it be what it will be using the malts chosen.

My recipe:

Grains:

5000 g Coopers premium pale malt (3.9 EBC).

250 g Wheat malt (4 EBC).

100 g Crystal Light (88 EBC)

Hops:

20 g PoR (10.5 % AA) for 60”  = 25 IBU

15 g PoR (10.5 % AA) for 5" = 6 IBU

Mash:

5 ml lactic acid in mash water - 35 L filtered rainwater – no salts added

45 C for 20”

63 C for 30”

70 C for 30”

76.5 C for 10”

So predicted result was ABV = 5.8 %   EBC = 11  IBU = 31

This cube will be dumped on top of the yeast cake from COPA ver 2.1 which will be kegged tomorrow.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1