Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

43 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Looking at doing an extract pale ale today. Scored a 100g of mosaic - never used mosaic before so after a bit of advice…

I was thinking of just using this hop by itself to see what it’s like - 40g at flameout, 60g dry hop…

Has anyone used mosaic by itself before, and thoughts. Should I pair with with another hop, scale back if the amount suggested is too much? That sort of thing…

Proposed recipe is simple enough to get an idea of the hop…

1.7kg pale ale kit

1kg LDME

250g light crystal steeped 

Mosaic as above

M44 yeast

23 litres

Thanks in advance guys and girls. Cheers

Hey Toner, for what it's worth I have used Mosiac Hops a couple of times, I like to experiment with different flavours & possibilities.

I used 50 gms in a Pale Ale (25gm infusion, 25gm dry hop day 6) last year & found them to be as good as Galaxy or Citra in a Pale Ale, I mainly use POR but we all Google for extra info; from time to time, I usually step up the quantity these days as I love the 'hop bite'.

https://beermaverick.com/hop/mosaic/

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I never used it with a kit but I have made AG brews using only Mosaic hops. In that case it was usually something like 10g @60, 20g @20, 20g @FO and 50g dry hop (day 4 for 4 days). Since you won't need the bittering hops, you can scrap the 60 minute addition and maybe do a 40g steep for 10 or 20 minutes and use the rest for dry hopping as you had planned. That should give you nice flavours and aromas. I like Mosaic.

Great thanks for the response AK 👍👍

That is encouraging. 
I usually add my flameout hops at 99 degrees (slowly dropping of course) for about 20 mins, so I will get a bit of extra bitterness that way (on top of the bittered kit).

Mosaic here we come. Will post up the deets and pics on whaddareyadrinkin’ forum when I can. Looking forward to an easy brew. Cheers all 🍻

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Whirlpool generator. It’s a bit of a beast.

Looks good ! I got this from Grainfather to shove on the end of a leccy drill: I use it to oxygenate the wort just before pitching. Don't half make a spinning vortex, if ever you need one 😉

Great bit of kit...

Grainfather Whirlpool & Aeration Brewing Paddle

• Like 3

Pulling out the last recipe I made earlier this year as I didn't have a lot of time to make up a new one, as long as I can find the Amarillo in the freezer 🤣 it'll be interesting to see how it turns out using the hop sock like the vast majority of my batches instead of the spider of the most recent ones, including this recipe last time.

Just about to get the water minerals sorted and urn filled to start heating it up for the mash. Hopefully the grains are still ok in their buckets, better check them first I suppose. Ignore the SG measurements obviously

20221029_075849.thumb.jpg.b3bf29ae21b51cc33c2332459701f2d2.jpg

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Pulling out the last recipe I made earlier this year as I didn't have a lot of time to make up a new one, as long as I can find the Amarillo in the freezer 🤣 it'll be interesting to see how it turns out using the hop sock like the vast majority of my batches instead of the spider of the most recent ones, including this recipe last time.

Just about to get the water minerals sorted and urn filled to start heating it up for the mash. Hopefully the grains are still ok in their buckets, better check them first I suppose. Ignore the SG measurements obviously

Good to see the chimney stacks smoking again Otto, been a while, all the best with your brew.

• Like 3

I just had a mate around & we had a few Coopers Draught's out of the tap, he liked it & wants me to brew a Carlton Draught clone for him, keg it so he can whack it in his Kegerator & he will return the keg & buy me an additional keg for payment. I think that is a good plan.

I know I can Google it but has anyone had success with an AG recipe, I have made a Country Brewer extract version of it.

1.7kg Wal's Lager, 1kg Brew Booster, 12g Cluster (inf) but I thought it was pretty ordinary.

Cheers.

• Like 2

@Classic Brewing Co I have seen this but I haven't tried it:

Aussie Mega
Australian Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 24.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.900
Total Hops (g): 25.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.12 %
Colour (SRM): 4.5 (EBC): 8.9
Bitterness (IBU): 22.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Pale Malt Barrett Burston (91.84%)
0.400 kg Cane Sugar (8.16%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Pride of Ringwood Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Method:

Single step Infusion at 63°C for 120 Minutes.
Mashout 78°C for 20 mins
Edit: boil for 90 mins adjusting with boiling water if it's getting a bit too concentrated on your equipment. Hops in after 30 mins.
Ferment at 13°C with Wyeast 2042 - Danish Lager for five days then let it slowly rise to 19°C over four days
Lager at -1°C for ten days only.

If you can get isohop then use some of that instead of the POR - the hop flowers actually make it a bit more like a Cascade Brewery lager. If you prefer a dried yeast then use S-23 and just run the whole thing through at 18° then lager.

I wouldn't use S-23 and personally I would go with W34/70.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, kmar92 said:

@Classic Brewing Co I have seen this but I haven't tried it:

Aussie Mega
Australian Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 24.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.900
Total Hops (g): 25.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.12 %
Colour (SRM): 4.5 (EBC): 8.9
Bitterness (IBU): 22.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Pale Malt Barrett Burston (91.84%)
0.400 kg Cane Sugar (8.16%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Pride of Ringwood Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Method:

Single step Infusion at 63°C for 120 Minutes.
Mashout 78°C for 20 mins
Edit: boil for 90 mins adjusting with boiling water if it's getting a bit too concentrated on your equipment. Hops in after 30 mins.
Ferment at 13°C with Wyeast 2042 - Danish Lager for five days then let it slowly rise to 19°C over four days
Lager at -1°C for ten days only.

If you can get isohop then use some of that instead of the POR - the hop flowers actually make it a bit more like a Cascade Brewery lager. If you prefer a dried yeast then use S-23 and just run the whole thing through at 18° then lager.

I wouldn't use S-23 and personally I would go with W34/70.

Thanks for that @kmar92 it is a little technical for me ATM & I am struggling with Brew Father but I should be able to work with it.

• Like 1

A day in the brewery that didn't quite go to plan today. I had some problems arise at home that prevented me getting an early start, I didn't get underway until c. 12:00 which is too late to comfortably finish the day at a reasonable time but I carried on. I was planning a Coopers XPA clone with Coopers Premium Pale Malt + Carapils + a dash of light crystal. Because I was rushing due to the late start I inadvertently used a plastic drum of Simpsons Maris Otter rather than the Coopers PPA. It was too late to do anything as I had already milled the grain so I just pressed on.

All set up and heating up to strike temperature.2282e.thumb.png.e2fff2544f18cd2dd1bb34144c8afd52.png

Mash underway.

2283e.JPG

Bringing the wort up to the boil as the grain bed has a drain.

2284e.png

Boil with some Magnum in for 60 mins for bittering.

2285e.JPG

Late hop additions were Simcoe and Lemondrop and will also dry hop with the same. After a late finish in the pressure fermenter with Lally Verdant as the yeast.

2287e.JPG

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 11

On 10/5/2022 at 6:24 PM, iBooz2 said:

Another brew day last Monday.  Batch #86 AG #45 another COPA this one ver 3.0  Coopers Original Pale Ale recipe.

After kegging and carbing up the COPA ver 1.0 I am very happy with this recipe's taste as it is near perfectly spot on for the Coopers Original Pale Ale so don't want to stuff with it too much.  I sorta got addicted to this commercial beer whilst traveling through SA and NT earlier this year so hence several clone batches brewed up.  I will buy a commercial bottle and do a side by side comparison in the near future and post some pics.  That being said I have altered the hops very slightly (20 g PoR at 5" instead of 15 g PoR at 5") to see what it will do.

The batch made Monday got pitched as a dirty batch on Tuesday on top of the trub from COPA ver 2.0 after it was kegged.

EBC = 8  IBU = 27  OG = 1.044  FG = 1.010  ABV = 4.5 %

This one was mashed at 45 C for 15" then 63 C for 30" and then 70 C for 30".  I also did a 1.7 litre "kitchen kettle sparge" just to rinse out any reticent sugars.

4600 g Coopers Premium Pale Malt.

250 g Wheat Malt

50 g Crystal Light Malt

15 g PoR hops at 60"

20 g PoR hops at 5 "

5 ml Lactic acid in the mash.

1/4 heaped teaspoon of Whirlfloc (granulated) at 5"

@Classic Brewing Co hey Phil, if you love your pale ales and the green label Coopers beer then I suggest you make notes of these COPA recipes (ver 1.0 to 3.0) that I have brewed up lately.  Perfect copies IMO.  So get yourself some Coopers Premium Pale Malt and go for it.

Hey Boozer,

I am planning to have a crack at your Coopers Pale Ale clone.  I put your recipe into Brewfather and found the IBU to be a fair bit short of the target.  See the screenshots below.  I had to increase the 60 minute boil to 25g of PoR to get to the 27 IBU's.  Looking at my inputs, what did you do differently? 

Before you answer, one possibility comes to mind: You might have allowed a much longer whirlpool time to calculate the IBU's that come from hot cubing your wort.  Although increased IBU's from hot cubing has been spoken of by others and on other websites, it seems to me, if you are separating the hops from the wort when you hot cube, how can more IBU's be extracted?

Cheers Shamus

IMG_3342.PNG.af9cb014d583b5d0dca5358776251489.PNG

IMG_3343.PNG.b7296fc3c8fed26309f1b8ed8f0ed780.PNG

• Like 3

A slight variation of my Helles. I like it as it is but it has a little more sweetness than it should have, so I dropped the Munich to 500g and increased the Pilsner accordingly. I'm also not using Dubbya but will warm ferment with M54. Let's see what it does.

Recipe: Ein Helles
Brewer: Tom
Style: Munich Helles
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.4 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

Amt      Name                                             Type       #     %/IBU         Volume
4.40 kg  Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain      1     86.3 %        2.87 L
0.50 kg  MUNICH Schooner (Voyager Craft Malt) (17.0 EBC)  Grain      2     9.8 %         0.33 L
0.20 kg  Gladfield Sour Grapes Malt (6.0 EBC)             Grain      3     3.9 %         0.13
35.00 g  Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop        4     17.0 IBUs     -     
0.50     Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)                Fining     5     -             -     
25.00 g  Hersbrucker  [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min            Hop        6     3.6 IBUs      -     
5.00 g   Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop        7     0.9 IBUs      -     
1.0 pkg  Californian Lager (Mangrove Jack's  #M54)        Yeast      8     -             -             

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.10 kg

----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification  Add 38.01 L of water at 62.5 C          60.0 C        30 min        
Saccharification  Add 0.00 L of water at 70.0 C           70.0 C        30 min        
Mash Out          Heat to 76.0 C over 10 min              76.0 C        10 min        

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 7

Recipe: Big Red Rye
Style: Rye IPA

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 28.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 62.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          58.8 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          14.7 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          14.7 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Gladfield Red Back Malt (65.0 EBC)               Grain         4          7.4 %         0.33 L        
0.30 kg          Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (300.0 EBC)     Grain         5          4.4 %         0.20 L        
15.00 ml         Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           6          62.3 IBUs     -             
M54 yeast dregs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 5

Recipe: Summer Saison

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 26.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         1          55.6 %        1.30 L        
1.60 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         2          44.4 %        1.04 L        
5.00 ml          Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           3          26.7 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          French Saison Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M29)         Yeast         4          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 4

brewday  

well didn't actually work hard and do an a.g but  put a FWK   from gran and grape   called the Riggers black ipa  and got that under way and is safely fermenting away   

when i get back from  specsavers and my   other fwk gets here from grain and grape being bens hazy ipa   and should have that all done in no time and my bz gen4 gets its new jacket today

so i maybe looking at selling a gen3 jacket to suit the 3.1.1 and may just give it away

• Like 2

Quick K&K/Partial to keep stocks up.

‘American Pale Ale of sorts.

‘Coopers Pale Ale, 500g Light Malt.

‘Had 2 x packs of hops to use up.

Steep 20g Mosaic 

‘Dry Hop 20g Simcoe, 20g Amarillo & 20g Citra around day 5 or 6. 

US-05 Yeast@19 degrees for 14 days, then CC. 

In the background is my Grain for my AG Hazy IPA that will be underway shortly. 

6334B3B5-9646-4447-8D9B-01A7CA003314.jpeg

• Like 7

Well I have been a bit lazy on posting as I made a German Pilsner a week and a half ago! It nearly ended up in the fail thread as I nearly put half a kilo of acid malt into it as I miss read the label on my container. I have put 2kg capacity on the side of the acid malt container and just saw the ca thinking it was carapils tipped it in then I grabbed the carapils thinking it was the acid malt then went what the?? So I managed to get about 300 grams out tasting it as I went! Anyway hit my numbers and kegged it yesterday and then made another batch of the same beer using the yeast cake. I have used the JW signature Pilsner malt for this batch to see what it’s like in comparison to the standard Pilsner malt as it was on special! First comparison so far was it’s very dusty but seems slightly lighter Cheers 🍻 

B776C993-5E4B-4A8B-B825-C31904920060.png

• Like 5

Recipe: dragon sour
Style: Berliner Weisse

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 5.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
3.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          66.7 %        1.96 L        
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          33.3 %        0.98 L        
10.00 g          Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  Hop           3          5.0 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          French Saison Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M29)         Yeast         4          -             -             

Cube sour with Lacto - brew shop sent me that instead of Philly Sour....

• Like 3