Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

Last time i had beers with him i ended up in the gutter, wallet in the middle of the road.

Its a good thing my better half has lots of patience with me 😂

He can be a terror, doesn't mind a drink, can hold a bit but he was cattle trucked after our first real ding dong session & that included his lovely range of beers as well as the entire contents of the bar fridge 😬 maybe I drink too much. 🙃

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I am just finishing up a 25kg sack at present. Top malt!

19 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

a local malt grain product

Good stuff @kmar92 and @iBooz2 Boozer - what a proudly Australian great fresh local malt product!

I have more recently been using kiwi Gladdy as Voyager was a bit harder for me to get logistically... I will hafta check out whether I can chase down some Coopers as I would love to try the good stuff!

Enjoy the rest of that 25kilos KMar and many good brews with your new bountiful supply Boozer!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Brew day today. Batch #82 AG #41 a COPA.  Coopers Original Pale Ale recipe.

EBC = 8  IBU = 25  OG = 1.046  FG = 1.013  ABV = 4.3 %

4600 g Coopers Premium Pale Malt.

200 g Wheat Malt

40 g Crystal Light Malt

15 g PoR hops at 60"

15 g PoR hops at 5 "

3 ml Lactic acid in the mash. (note needs to be about 4 ml as PH was just 5.9)

1/4 heaped teaspoon of Whirlfloc (granulated) at 5"

250 ml of CCA yeast harvested from 8- 10 Coopers pale ale stubbies in a 3 L starter.

Will ferment this one out at 18 C.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Brew day today. Batch #82 AG #41 a COPA.  Coopers Original Pale Ale recipe.

EBC = 8  IBU = 25  OG = 1.046  FG = 1.013  ABV = 4.3 %

4600 g Coopers Premium Pale Malt.

200 g Wheat Malt

40 g Crystal Light Malt

15 g PoR hops at 60"

15 g PoR hops at 5 "

3 ml Lactic acid in the mash. (note needs to be about 4 ml as PH was just 5.9)

1/4 heaped teaspoon of Whirlfloc (granulated) at 5"

250 ml of CCA yeast harvested from 8- 10 Coopers pale ale stubbies in a 3 L starter.

Will ferment this one out at 18 C.

Recipe looks good Boozer.  Do you know how close it is to the real deal?  I have saved it in my recipe list anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Recipe looks good Boozer.  Do you know how close it is to the real deal?  I have saved it in my recipe list anyway.

G'day Shamus,  I was given a sneaky photo of the grain bill some time back and it is the actual amounts.  The hop schedule is mine as that is an unknown, just tried to match the IBU of 26.  My mash profile was 40 C for 15" then 69 C for 60" then mash out 75 C for 10" but I suspect this is wrong.  Maybe too full bodied so next batch on Saturday will be mashed 50 C for 10" then 65 C for 60"

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

Tibetan Purple Barley ..... 

🤔 Discuss!!

VoyagerTibetanPurpleBarley.png?v=1641283542

Google is your friend.  Seems like its flavour, rather than its colour, is a bit unique.  " distinctive almond like nut character with earthy and slight herbal notes that round out to a sweet bread like flavour similar to a lighter style wheat malt".  With an EBC of 3-5, it is not going to give your beer a weird purple colour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, iBooz2 said:

G'day Shamus,  I was given a sneaky photo of the grain bill some time back and it is the actual amounts.  The hop schedule is mine as that is an unknown, just tried to match the IBU of 26.  My mash profile was 40 C for 15" then 69 C for 60" then mash out 75 C for 10" but I suspect this is wrong.  Maybe too full bodied so next batch on Saturday will be mashed 50 C for 10" then 65 C for 60"

Thanks iBooz2.  Your next batch sounds like it will be closer to the mark.  Probably a bit crisper.  I will wait in anticipation of your critique of each brew.

• Like 4

On 9/1/2022 at 11:11 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

@iBooz2 Boozer that is such an efficient way to do things... nice work.  Cuts down on the cleaning, and buying yeast, and keeps production going... great work mate!  

I have consistently been doing 'dirty batch FV backfill' Brews for some time now with good outcomes...  but never been piping off the brew once complete in the ferment vessel - that takes things to another level! 

Great stuff 👍

Sorry IP missed your post here.

It was a matter of bad timing @Itinerant Peasant , just did not have the time to keg this 50 L batch off and clean out the big Kegmenter before we hit the road for a couple of months.  I had plenty of kegs but they were all part filled with a few litres of this and that so no hope of drinking them and cleaning them out.  Therefore only option was to leave the Summer Pils in the big keg to cover trub and drink it once we were back home when I was ready to do another dirty batch to drop in on top.

I was extremely worried that leaving it sit for a few months would give me problems but as of tonight have been pouring a few pints off the trub yet again, this is of the new batch and all is very good and I think it it gets better the more yeast cake there is.  

Might even push this to four dirty batches in future but I need to change lagers so this yeast will be dumped come this WE and will move back over to DL yeast for the next few brews.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Last time i had beers with him i ended up in the gutter, wallet in the middle of the road.

Its a good thing my better half has lots of patience with me 😂

I'm surprised the cab driver managed to get you out of the car and into the gutter haha

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

He can be a terror, doesn't mind a drink, can hold a bit but he was cattle trucked after our first real ding dong session & that included his lovely range of beers as well as the entire contents of the bar fridge 😬 maybe I drink too much. 🙃

I blame the bottle of red wine, not the 23L of beer beforehand.

• Haha 6

Sparkling.

Munich to up the maltiness from the pilsner.

Shep as I don't have medium crystal

Style: Australian Sparkling Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 12.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          80.9 %        3.26 L        
0.90 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          14.6 %        0.59 L        
0.24 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          3.9 %         0.16 L        
0.04 kg          Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (300.0 EBC)     Grain         4          0.6 %         0.03 L        
30.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           5          40.2 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Coopers Commercial Yeast                         Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 6

59 minutes ago, interceptor said:

Sparkling.

Munich to up the maltiness from the pilsner.

Shep as I don't have medium crystal

Style: Australian Sparkling Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 12.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          80.9 %        3.26 L        
0.90 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          14.6 %        0.59 L        
0.24 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          3.9 %         0.16 L        
0.04 kg          Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (300.0 EBC)     Grain         4          0.6 %         0.03 L        
30.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           5          40.2 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Coopers Commercial Yeast                         Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wtttfff @interceptor seems like u r brewing real beer again - what is going on?? 

Sick of sour spicy funky amaaaazing beer thaaat don't taste like beer? 

• Haha 3