Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

6 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Another groundhog brew day today.

This is batch #88 AG#47.  My Coopers Sparkling Ale Clone ver 3.0.  

Target beer is 5.8 % ABV and an IBU of 32, EBC is unknown so let it be what it will be using the malts chosen.

My recipe:

Grains:

5000 g Coopers premium pale malt (3.9 EBC).

250 g Wheat malt (4 EBC).

100 g Crystal Light (88 EBC)

Hops:

20 g PoR (10.5 % AA) for 60”  = 25 IBU

15 g PoR (10.5 % AA) for 5" = 6 IBU

Mash:

5 ml lactic acid in mash water - 35 L filtered rainwater – no salts added

45 C for 20”

63 C for 30”

70 C for 30”

76.5 C for 10”

So predicted result was ABV = 5.8 %   EBC = 11  IBU = 31

Cheers mate, I’ll give that a go. Should get my stock of PoR down to under 900gm 😂

• Haha 4

On 10/9/2022 at 8:13 AM, Dustin Frothman said:

Bought a couple of new toys for the kettle recently. A grain basket increase disc and this very shiny whirlpool shovel from BAC brewing in Italy who make aftermarket toys for the Braumeister range. Expensive but well worth it so far.

What does that propeller thing do mate ?

• Like 1

I have ordered some stuff from craftbrewer this morning, namely a new hop sock (not a great fan of the spider), some extract for yeast starters and a couple of new disconnects for the beer lines. Planning to make a pale ale of some sort next Saturday as my golf club is holding an ambrose that day due to greens renovations. Not a fan of the format so I figured perfect day to start the brewing up again, assuming the stuff arrives by then which it really should. Still need to get a new water still and 5 litre flask as well as a second cube but they're not as urgent for now. Looking forward to having beer back on tap again, and saving some much needed money as well. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I have ordered some stuff from craftbrewer this morning, namely a new hop sock (not a great fan of the spider), some extract for yeast starters and a couple of new disconnects for the beer lines. Planning to make a pale ale of some sort next Saturday as my golf club is holding an ambrose that day due to greens renovations. Not a fan of the format so I figured perfect day to start the brewing up again, assuming the stuff arrives by then which it really should. Still need to get a new water still and 5 litre flask as well as a second cube but they're not as urgent for now. Looking forward to having beer back on tap again, and saving some much needed money as well. 

Good one Otto, been a while 🥳 🍺 nothing like beer on tap, look forward to seeing your posts, Cheers.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I'm with you on that. I find the utilization is s**t house with the spider, threw mine away.

The one that came with the Guten was absolutely atrocious. It took half hour to drain and all. I used to use small hop bags, one for each hop addition but that was a little painful as well. I tried using a paint strainer bag but that also wasn't that crash hot a thing to use. So I bought another hop spider and that one actually works quite well. The mesh isn't too fine to clog up immediately but fine enough to not release hop matter into the wort. So far, it's OK. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I'm with you on that. I find the utilization is s**t house with the spider, threw mine away.

I'll keep it for emergencies but I've always used the socks with wire legs put on at home to hold it in place during the boil. Then I just hoist it out with the grain bag pulley to drain/squeeze it out afterwards - not being able to squeeze it out was the biggest annoyance with the spider for me, but I did notice my pilsner didn't seem as bitter as it usually is. 

• Like 4

Squeezed in a brew day on Sunday after I got all the chores done. A brand new saison on the way. Stripped back all the specialty malts on this one. No rye or Vienna which I’d normally chuck at it. Bog standard pils. All Saaz in the boil except for a late charge of motueka. Motueka recently pricked my ears. Being a Belgian version of saaz but on steroids with a more tropical finish rather than spice. Hard to explain to be honest as the tropical I refer to isn’t really what you’d associate with “tropical”……anyway

belle saison choofing away as I type and a lil dry hop on the way in a few days. Ousss oussss 

• Like 9

Brew day today for another 44 L batch of LL in readiness for Christmas party/s drinking.  This is batch #89 AG#48.

Predicted 5.0% ABV but overshot my numbers, same grist bill of grains as previous batches but put it down due to a tweak in my usual water volumes and mash schedule so this one is now going to be 5.4%, that is unless I decide later to water it down a bit when it gets tossed into the FV. 

It will go in on top of the whole trub from the previous LL which is overdue to be kegged (no time so its sitting at 2 C lagering in the FV).

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

Style: Australian Strong/Foreign Extra Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 96.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 45.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                 Grain         1          69.0 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          17.2 %        0.65 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt (1300.0 EBC)       Grain         3          3.4 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Eclipse Wheat (1400.0 EBC)             Grain         4          3.4 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (300.0 EBC)     Grain         5          3.4 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC)          Grain         6          3.4 %         0.13 L        
100.00 g         Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  Hop           7          45.0 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some oak cubes that were used to make spirits, they will be dumped in the fv when feremtnation is done for an oak barrel aged feel

• Like 7

6 hours ago, beach_life said:
Style: Australian Strong/Foreign Extra Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 96.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 45.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                 Grain         1          69.0 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          17.2 %        0.65 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt (1300.0 EBC)       Grain         3          3.4 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Eclipse Wheat (1400.0 EBC)             Grain         4          3.4 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (300.0 EBC)     Grain         5          3.4 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC)          Grain         6          3.4 %         0.13 L        
100.00 g         Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  Hop           7          45.0 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some oak cubes that were used to make spirits, they will be dumped in the fv when feremtnation is done for an oak barrel aged feel

That is impressive looking recipe BL & I am guessing it is going to be strong 🤜🥳

• Haha 2

Recipe: Fugly Lager
Style: International Pale Lager

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
3.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          87.5 %        2.28 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          12.5 %        0.33 L        
40.00 g          Fuggle [4.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min            Hop           3          23.1 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Californian Lager (Mangrove Jack's  #M54)        Yeast         4          -             -             

------------
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, beach_life said:
Recipe: Fugly Lager
Style: International Pale Lager

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
3.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          87.5 %        2.28 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          12.5 %        0.33 L        
40.00 g          Fuggle [4.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min            Hop           3          23.1 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Californian Lager (Mangrove Jack's  #M54)        Yeast         4          -             -             

------------

You are a fan of the good old M54 right? I am using it a fair bit myself for some "lagers". Contrary to popular belief, I don't find the yeast to be a slow started. It usually is well underway after 24 hours, whereas yeasts like US-05 take a lot more time to get cracking.

How on earth do you print those recipes as plain text out of Beersmith? Is it a stone old version? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My stuff arrived today. First order of business is to make a small yeast starter for the 1056 to see if it's still alive. I'll probably do that on the weekend, so plenty of time before the batch is brewed to either buy more or if it works to have it ready to make another starter for the batch. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

You are a fan of the good old M54 right? I am using it a fair bit myself for some "lagers". Contrary to popular belief, I don't find the yeast to be a slow started. It usually is well underway after 24 hours, whereas yeasts like US-05 take a lot more time to get cracking.

How on earth do you print those recipes as plain text out of Beersmith? Is it a stone old version? 

I used M54 early on in my brew journey, but found it to throw green apple 🍏 - which cleared up in time. I have since moved on to w34/70 and find it much cleaner. And fast too. 
Am aware that @beach_life Beachy is north, and no temp control, so brew with the seasons and use the warmer yeast - great thinking - no point fighting nature. 
As a great man once said (you there @Pezzza?) many ways to the top of the mountain in the journey…

Glad you guys are enjoying it. cheers 🍻🍻

• Like 4
  • Haha 1