Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

On 11/19/2022 at 7:38 PM, Pezzza said:

Haha @stquinto I do believe that DM @DavidM has a very reasonable solution for your problem Sainter ; )

Many hands do make light work mate 🥳

And often quite a lot of fun on the way too...  (the Sparkling Ale below was certainly reduced in volume on a recent visit from some helpful mates - well they were very helpful in other ways that just reducing brew volume on hand 😋

image.thumb.png.581dfe7a80b681bc0091b65fe091d1b6.png

Absolutely cracking photo ol fella. Thats what beer is all about. Sharing, caring and loving life.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Mr Beer Goggles said:

First time in a long time I've used a can. So I'm knocking up a partial mash with Coopers Draught. Should be ready for Christmas along with my all grain Hefeweizen.

Coopers Draught, 2.5 kilo Weyerman Pale Malt, 330 grams of Gladfield Gladiator,  flame out 40 grams of SAAZ, lagered with 2 packs of Lallemand Diamond Lager.

20221121_162855.jpg

I predict that will taste great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I predict that will taste great.

I think so Shamus. Could have gone an all grain today but I wanted to get back to my roots and prove that a Coopers can will make a fantastic beer. Let Mother nature do her stuff, keg her and drink.  

• Like 6

Recipe: Lawnmower Beer
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Pacific Imperial

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 10.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 78.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          61.5 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          15.4 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          15.4 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         4          7.7 %         0.33 L        
10.00 ml         Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           5          42.6 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           6          24.0 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           7          11.4 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          French Saison Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M29)         Yeast         8          -             -             

--------------------------------
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

39 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          61.5 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          15.4 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          15.4 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         4          7.7 %         0.33 L        
10.00 ml         Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           5          42.6 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           6          24.0 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           7          11.4 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          French Saison Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M29)         Yeast         8          -             -             

I like the idea of a 21l lawnmower beer made with 6.5kg of grain 🙂 

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, beach_life said:

I was given it and really like it.

This one is quite different to the Yakima Valley on I had, seems less oily but looks oily in the boil

Do you have to boil it? Or can you just whirlpool it at say 99 degrees and dropping?

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 10:17 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Boozer,

I am planning to have a crack at your Coopers Pale Ale clone.  I put your recipe into Brewfather and found the IBU to be a fair bit short of the target.  See the screenshots below.  I had to increase the 60 minute boil to 25g of PoR to get to the 27 IBU's.  Looking at my inputs, what did you do differently? 

Before you answer, one possibility comes to mind: You might have allowed a much longer whirlpool time to calculate the IBU's that come from hot cubing your wort.  Although increased IBU's from hot cubing has been spoken of by others and on other websites, it seems to me, if you are separating the hops from the wort when you hot cube, how can more IBU's be extracted?

Cheers Shamus

IMG_3342.PNG.af9cb014d583b5d0dca5358776251489.PNG

IMG_3343.PNG.b7296fc3c8fed26309f1b8ed8f0ed780.PNG

Sincere apologies for the late response@Shamus O'Sean as I have been away, up bush, helping my dad sort out a deceased estate and clean up around his place.

As you have probably guessed I use a whirlpool figure in my brew-father software to allow for the approx 20" @ 80 C in the hot cube as that is what I estimate it will be given I hot cube then take the cube outside on the patio, tip it on its side and then let my tank (rainwater) trickle over it to cool via a small sprinkler.  It may be longer than 20", maybe 30 " before the cube gets cool enough to stop the process.

Anyway that's what I have gone with because I needed to start somewhere.  Hope that helps you.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, beach_life said:

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------

Needs more malt. After you mow the lawn your body is spent of nutrients.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Sincere apologies for the late response@Shamus O'Sean as I have been away, up bush, helping my dad sort out a deceased estate and clean up around his place.

As you have probably guessed I use a whirlpool figure in my brew-father software to allow for the approx 20" @ 80 C in the hot cube as that is what I estimate it will be given I hot cube then take the cube outside on the patio, tip it on its side and then let my tank (rainwater) trickle over it to cool via a small sprinkler.  It may be longer than 20", maybe 30 " before the cube gets cool enough to stop the process.

Anyway that's what I have gone with because I needed to start somewhere.  Hope that helps you.

Ah just read this fella. Youve been missed.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

No worries, Al.  Sometimes life gets in the way of other stuff.  Thanks for the advice on how you allow for IBU's from hot cubing.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 2

Variation on the Lawnmower Ale

All flameout hops and some dark malts

Recipe: Flameout Ale
Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 31.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 48.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
5.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          78.7 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          15.7 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Gladfield Red Back Malt (65.0 EBC)               Grain         3          3.9 %         0.16 L        
0.10 kg          Gladfield Eclipse Wheat (1400.0 EBC)             Grain         4          1.6 %         0.07 L        
50.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           5          24.2 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           6          11.5 IBUs     -             
10.00 ml         Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           7          13.0 IBUs     -             

M29 Yeast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 6