Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

Had a 'Back to the Future' ↗️ brew day yesterday  – a K&K batch #93 which was a Cooper’s ROTM some time back.  Thomas Cooper Innkeeper’s Daughter sparkling ale can, Cooper’s amber malt can and 500 g light dry malt.  Did a mini mash of 250 g light crystal and 250 g Carapils malts to try and pimp up the head a bit. 

Mini mash was 5 L filtered rain water with a combined Beta Glucanase and Protein rest at 45 C for 20” and then main mash at 63 C for 60 minutes.

OG = 1.050 FG should be 1.013 ABV = 5.0 EBC = 21 IBU = 33.

I remember now what a PITA opening those Coopers kit cans are.  Grrrr.😠

Pitched both the Thomas Coopers can yeast and 1 x US-05 sachet.  It will be fermented starting at 17 C for two days then bumped up 1 C per day each day after that until 22 C and FG.  I am not really into the darker heavier beers but had to use up the tins before they become waste.

My HSSH is currently sipping on a commercial Mango Beer to try, hopefully I will not have to make one of those for her. 🤞

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:08 PM, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Looks very nice my backyard is a big tree and a whole lot of holes and dog poo.

Oh and you have always boiled the sugar and don't know if it changes the taste? Never thought about boiling it because if bottle goes in raw.

Then I suppose the beer has already got alcohol to sterilise compared to pre brew?

@Uhtred Of Beddanburg The late boil trick is more so that the sugar dissolves properly as I don't want it to drop and sit on my heating element or kettle base because then it will caramelize and make cleaning hard work.  That being said its more so I get an accurate post boil gravity which is basically my SG and I want that figure to be spot on.  Its not boiled long enough to cause a flavor change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

Hello @iBooz2, Greetings to you and HSSH, (please tell me what HSSH stands for). My husband and I bought a new can opener to open the Coopers extracts!

Hi Jenny,  over the years I have tried nearly every brand of can opener from cheap and nasty to top $ ones and I have successfully destroyed them all.  The only can opener that seems to survive around here is the dog food opener and I am not going to try and clean / sanitise that one.

What I need is one of these Makita metal cutting saws. me thinks! 😲

Makita metal cutting saw.PNG

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, iBooz2 said:

Hi Jenny,  over the years I have tried nearly every brand of can opener from cheap and nasty to top $ ones and I have successfully destroyed them all.  The only can opener that seems to survive around here is the dog food opener and I am not going to try and clean / sanitise that one.

What I need is one of these Makita metal cutting saws. me thinks! 😲

Makita metal cutting saw.PNG

My faithful old can opener decided to stop working after about 20 years but although I can't use the wings to open the can, I can still make pierce marks around the lid enough to get it off cleanly.

• Like 3

Long time Nosey... Or... I'm baaaa-aaack! 😄

After too many months off (& paying through the nose for craft beer at BWS, even with the 25% off) I got a couple of FWK's from KL - beerbelly never seem to have them these days - a lager & an IPA.

Add 4L water to bring them up to 19L, Kveik & dry enzyme & 35° & 2 days later both had dropped from 1.050 to 0.098. Dry hops - L = 40gPoR, I = 40g mosaic, 25g lemon drop. 2 days CC then kegged - I did a 40psi for a minute or so as I shook the kegs, set it on 30 psi overnight then shook them at that & dropped it to serving ~12 psi. Tried last night (so 2 days in keg) & young but quite drinkable.

So that's a week from FWK arriving to in the glass.

Yesterday I did 2 x K&K's. Nothing fancy, just Coopers IPA & an English Bitter. Kveik at 35° again. Once I have 4 kegs in the fridge I'll maybe slow it down with a Nott brew or 2 - which may also go under pressure so rapid ferment again 😄 - but gotta say I like the performance of Kveik.

Now to try & use wasitline to moderate the drinking. 😄 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

After too many months off (& paying through the nose for craft beer at BWS, even with the 25% off) I got a couple of FWK's from KL - beerbelly never seem to have them these days - a lager & an IPA.

Add 4L water to bring them up to 19L, Kveik & dry enzyme & 35° & 2 days later both had dropped from 1.050 to 0.098. Dry hops - L = 40gPoR, I = 40g mosaic, 25g lemon drop. 2 days CC then kegged - I did a 40psi for a minute or so as I shook the kegs, set it on 30 psi overnight then shook them at that & dropped it to serving ~12 psi. Tried last night (so 2 days in keg) & young but quite drinkable.

Yesterday I did 2 x K&K's. Nothing fancy, just Coopers IPA & an English Bitter. Kveik at 35° again. Once I have 4 kegs in the fridge I'll maybe slow it down with a Nott brew or 2 - which may also go under pressure so rapid ferment again 😄 - but gotta say I like the performance of Kveik.

Hey @Journeyman good to see you back, it's been a while. I am glad to hear you are still brewing.

All the best for Xmas to you & your family.

Cheers

Phil 🍺

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am glad to hear you are still brewing.

I'm not really sure why the bug went away for a while - just kinda put it off for a bit, originally planning on revamping the keg fridge & workspace & didn't get going again until now. (fridge & workspace still unvamped 😞 )

The FWK's were deliberate intention - simple to do to get me back in the groove. K&K's were next step so once they are in the kegs I'll look at further 'enhancements.' 

All the best for the season for you and other HB'ers on here. Enjoy the golden brews!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Good to see you back in the saddle. I was wondering what happened to you. 

Welcome back and happy brewing 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

Here are my new good can opener, and the old back of the kitchen drawer can opener when desperate.

Yep it always pays to have a back up can opener. My can opener when desperate has been the Army FRED. They can also used as a spoon if you’re really desperate for a spoon. I got a few very cheap from the army disposals many years ago. I keep one in the car, one in the motorbike tool kit, one in the shed and one in the kitchen draw. They are also known as the army's Field Ration Eating Device or Effing Ridiculous Eating Device. So far I haven’t had a can they can’t open. The downside is they are a bit fiddly to use an take some time get a can open.

Army FRED.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, thebeerpig said:

Yep it always pays to have a back up can opener. My can opener when desperate has been the Army FRED. They can also used as a spoon if you’re really desperate for a spoon. I got a few very cheap from the army disposals many years ago. I keep one in the car, one in the motorbike tool kit, one in the shed and one in the kitchen draw. They are also known as the army's Field Ration Eating Device or Effing Ridiculous Eating Device. So far I haven’t had a can they can’t open. The downside is they are a bit fiddly to use an take some time get a can open.

Army FRED.png

I remember them, Tool-type-Metal-Messing-1off.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, thebeerpig said:

Army FRED.png

Here's random shot of the old Australian Army Ration Pack, you can see the opener/spoon in the image.

358238-a3fd2096-0af8-11e4-b520-c4b498d9eaca.jpg.dc652448914d098574c582beb94e70e9.jpg

• Like 6