Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

25 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

My closest is this store & it finishes on the 24th Dec.

https://www.bigw.com.au/brands/coopers

If only they had the PET caps, never in stock. I have been 3 times. I need to replace like 60 of them.  Its really all I need so don't want to order from Coopers as its $15 freight on $10 of caps. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cult Of One said:

If only they had the PET caps, never in stock. I have been 3 times. I need to replace like 60 of them.  Its really all I need so don't want to order from Coopers as its $15 freight on $10 of caps. 

I don't know where you are, but most LHBS sell them in packs 50/100 etc, well in Adelaide anyway,

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

Classic is right you should be able to get them elsewhere. even ebay with cheap postage. Even mangrove jacks lids fit on coopers bottles. They should do unless you got the Big W branded bottles. I never liked them the film comes off easy and they leak more. Even mangrove jacks bottles and lids are decent and a proper 750ml to fill line. I think coopers are 740ml to the very top.

• Like 1

Just now, Cult Of One said:

I am Melbourne based.

Tried Dan Murphy, Woolies and IGA to no avail They have crown tops not the PET.

LHBS?

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I don't know where you are, but most LHBS sell them in packs 50/100 etc, well in Adelaide anyway,

Ignore that My brain is not functional today, must be out of warrantee 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

I am Melbourne based.

Tried Dan Murphy, Woolies and IGA to no avail They have crown tops not the PET.

LHBS?

Grain and grape? kegland?

Big W themselves should have cheap postage from another store for a small light item

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Local Home Brew Shop

I live near Dubbo, a city of 36,000 people; and no LHBS. I visit my father at Moruya on the South Coast of NSW, a town of 4,200; and it has a very good independent shop called Brewing, Camping Fishing with a good basic stock of extracts, grains, hops,  equipment, and a helpful proprietor. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I live near Dubbo, a city of 36,000 people; and no LHBS. I visit my father at Moruya on the South Coast of NSW, a town of 4,200; and it has a very good independent shop called Brewing, Camping Fishing with a good basic stock of extracts, grains, hops,  equipment, and a helpful proprietor. 

That's excellent Jenny, at least you have access to product, you must have a BigW in Dubbo, they have 20% off all Coopers products until the 24th Dec.

I have been to Dubbo quite a few times, I like the place.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Maybe they had shitttt stuck in their taps causing loadsa turbulence back then that meant you ended up with a lovely creamy top @stquinto Sainter? 😆

Sounds about right Pezzza! There were some decent ales around then but John Smiths wasn’t one of them😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2022 at 4:06 PM, jennyss said:

Yes, @Classic Brewing Co, I do get brewing supplies at Big W - got my first Coopers brew kit there in January this year! They have a basic supply of Coopers, Brigalow and Woolworths extracts, brew enhancers, dextrose, dry malt and hops. So I shouldn't whinge too much.

I'm in Murray Bridge & the LHBS charges a fortune for everything. 2 years ago he wanted $19 for Original Series Coopers cans - I hate to think what he charges now. 😄 

I became a Coopers member (free at https://www.diybeer.com/au/customer/account/login/ & get my cans from them. Each month they have a ROTM, (Recipe Of The Month) email & you can get free shipping for over $100 or over $80 - alternates month to month. Only a 6 can per order limit AFAIK but that's been more than enough to give me a stock of 20+ cans in the cupboard waiting for an FV.

I get other supplies online - e.g.  https://cheapyeast.com.au/ is usually good for yeast with free shipping in batches of 7, kegland.com.au often has good prices on hops (but look around because they can be beaten) & others will recommend their favs.

Having said that I may visit BigW today & grab a couple of Pale Ale cans - they're down to $15.75 at present & make a great base for my XPA clones.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cult Of One said:

Dang, South Western subs here (Point cook) I may just bite the bullet and pay the freight. I used to have a business in Ringwood back in the day just near the Dans. 

If there is still only that one road In and out of point cook you might get the package even before you make it out. Maby not with public holidays but would make a close race.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

If there is still only that one road In and out of point cook you might get the package even before you make it out. Maby not with public holidays but would make a close race.

I hear ya, thankfully we have 4 roads to get in an out now it was awful 10+ years ago when we sold up in Brunswick east and hit the burbs.  Loving that I work from home in shorts and thongs so no commute, no petrol and no agro. 

I just did the bottle stock take and I have enough for my American IPA that's in the fermenter. I plan to wait till they are in stock or ask friends who drink soft drink (gross) to save caps for me. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Having said that I may visit BigW today & grab a couple of Pale Ale cans - they're down to $15.75 at present & make a great base for my XPA clones.

What's your usual recipe for a XPA clone?? If you don't mind sharing.

• Like 2

@Cult Of One glad got more roads down there now mate used to know someone there and was a pain to get in and out of.

Wouldn't think would pay much delivery on caps compared to a bus ticket or fuel to get to where had them.

Even better re fill soft drink bottles not just use lids they are good substitute. I have done a few big 1.25 and 2 litre Beers in past doing this.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Cult Of One glad got more roads down there now mate used to know someone there and was a pain to get in and out of.

Wouldn't think would pay much delivery on caps compared to a bus ticket or fuel to get to where had them.

Even better re fill soft drink bottles not just use lids they are good substitute. I have done a few big 1.25 and 2 litre Beers in past doing this.

The issue there is that I would have to drink the whole 1250 ml and that many carbs doesn't work well with me. I can really only have 750 ml beers. Sadly 

The postage is more than the caps! 

• Haha 1

Quick easy faux lager

Recipe: Mid Strength

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.032 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 17.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          66.7 %        1.30 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          16.7 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          16.7 %        0.33 L        
15.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          17.5 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54)          Yeast         5          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 6

Having a crack at @iBooz2's Coopers Sparkling Ale

I added in a few grams of Brown Malt to darken the colour a tad.  Yeast was from the trub of a Coops Pale Ale I did a few weeks ago.  Pitched about 400ml.

The brew numbers were pretty close today.  Gravities within 2 points.  Volumes within a litre.  I slightly reduced the FV top-up to get the OG spot on 1.055

image.thumb.png.1f7d5f4f6c9e666452660b4dfe0bcfde.png

• Like 5