Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

12 hours ago, beach_life said:

I was close once.

I threw a fv full of beer into the bin when I was having issues

That must have been painful 😓 

I was out of words when @Mickep had to tip three batches too 😱

Anyway, I slid off out of a boring zoom meeting to replace my nitro blend bottle (90 minute round trip) so I’ll be sorted when the Guinness is ready. I think I might serve the 3/4 keg I have left of Sam Adam on nitro just to practice the gas levels etc.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

serve the 3/4 keg I have left of Sam Adam on nitro just to practice the gas levels etc.

Sounds good Sainter @stquinto

Just be careful as to gassing up the already CO2 rich Samad...

Probably not an issue as you are not serving through nitro tap anyway...

It is just if you have a fair whack of CO2 already in the Beer Solution - and then you gas up using Nitro and serve then through the Nitro Tap you can end up with whipped cream...

A bit of CO2 at the start can help get things underway as the Nitro Mix is slow to charge... 

But you canna put too much in or there can be trouble.

Anyway... you are not pouring through the perforated plate turbulent Tap so might not be an issue anyways...

And yeah... I am no expert on this stuff by any means mate : |

Hope it goes well : )

Pezzza Piratical Mountain Brewing

🏴‍☠️

• Like 4

Brewed the Wheatie Aleo and did the splashing backfill yesterday over the US05 Yeast Cake (frothy top on the backfill)... see below sequence... 10 hours later a lovely fluffy top... some may say MASSIVE OVERPITCH... but so far in my regular backfilling practice (hopefully continues so 😬) I have not had any detrimental issues re flavour and texture... so hopefully it will turn out ok 🤔

Smells pretty nice 👍

image.thumb.png.d613d23c7993253da5b863d2a2c5d3f5.png

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Pezzza said:

It is just if you have a fair whack of CO2 already in the Beer Solution - and then you gas up using Nitro and serve then through the Nitro Tap you can end up with whipped cream...

A bit of CO2 at the start can help get things underway as the Nitro Mix is slow to charge... 

Anyway... you are not pouring through the perforated plate turbulent Tap so might not be an issue anyways...

🏴‍☠️

Thanks for that Pezzza mate. I was going to push it through the stout tap. Since I’m a bit underwhelmed with the hops I thought it might make a poor-man’s Caffrey’s.

Whaddya reckon - burp out the Sam and just set the nitro blend to about 10psi? Normally it’s higher than CO2 at 30 - 35psi I read somewhere. Maybe I’ll try the first pint off the nitro but through the stout tap….

I can see some school kid chemistry experiments coming up 🤣

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Whaddya reckon

Spot on mate @stquinto Sainter - just try a few different options maybe...  think what you are suggesting sounds good for a start mate yep : )

And then so maybe if the Stout Tap pours whipped cream... try a pour through a normal tap or pluto gun maybe and not through the festive perf plate? 

👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Spot on mate @stquinto Sainter - just try a few different options maybe...  think what you are suggesting sounds good for a start mate yep : )

And then so maybe if the Stout Tap pours whipped cream... try a pour through a normal tap or pluto gun maybe and not through the festive perf plate? 

👍

Will do mate ! And make sure I make a photojournalistic montage of the whole process. Well, take a few photos anyway...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Brew day today was another batch of LL, this is brew #92 AG batch #51.

This time I have decided to alter my proven LL recipe to use Coopers Premium Pale Malt instead of the usual VIC Pale Ale Malt.  I have been very impressed with the Coopers malt and the MO malt so far in AG brewing so decided to combine the two (what I think are the two top notch malts) and see what that brings to my recipe.

Changing the ale malt over to the CPPM was the only change so will see if my LL recipe is better because of this.

My LL recipe ver 2.0 on 15/12/2022

Grains:

6000 g Coopers premium pale malt 3.9 EBC.

1200 g Maris Otter 4.2 EBC.

500g Carapils malt 4.5 EBC.

250 g White table sugar @ 15".

150 g Crystal Light 88.0 EBC

Hops:

15 g Super Pride 60” = 14 IBU

30 g Pride of Ringwood 10” = 9 IBU

Mash:

10 ml lactic acid in mash water - 45 L filtered rainwater – no salts added

45 C for 15” then slow rise to next mash step of

69 C for 60”

75 C for 10”

So predicted result was ABV=4.7% EBC=8 IBU=23

For this batch - Mash efficiency = 96% and Brew house efficiency = 87.38%

Yeast will be DL trub of previous batch of LL i.e. dirty batch #1 in the 58 L SS Kegmenter after it is kegged tomorrow or the next day.

Not surprisingly I overshot my numbers given the performance of these superb malts and my mash profile.  Note the extra grey stuff on top of the boil the CPPM causes this and its turned out very good for my beers.

Pre-boil volume was up 2.5 L (so I could sneak in a 1 L starter for some more COPA brews next week) and pre-boil SG was up 3 points over predicted 1.041. Post-boil volume was 50 L and with an SG of 1.048 which was up 2 points on the predicted 1.046.  ABV now predicted to come in at 4.9% EBC=7.5 IBU-21

Who said you cannot have a tropical looking garden with big palm trees in Melbourne.

Cooling the LL cubes in the Bali garden - resized.png

15 gm of Super Pride hops having a spa - resized.png

LL just about to boil - resized.png

Draining the LL grain bed - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, Pezzza said:

🏴‍☠️

I think I might be onto something here mate: a bland amberish ale on CO2 pushed through the stout tap - makes it a bit creamy… 

Kinda reminds me of a John Smiths circa 1984…

Complete with a pic of my chemistry lab 😉

337AB3F3-FC15-4068-8ED6-C3C6FBBE2F51.jpeg

DB8AF242-533E-4CB8-9A44-C06FB091A2CF.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

My LL recipe ver 2.0 on 15/12/2022

Grains:

6000 g Coopers premium pale malt 3.9 EBC.

1200 g Maris Otter 4.2 EBC.

500g Carapils malt 4.5 EBC.

250 g White table sugar @ 15".

150 g Crystal Light 88.0 EBC

Hops:

15 g Super Pride 60” = 14 IBU

30 g Pride of Ringwood 10” = 9 IBU

Mash:

10 ml lactic acid in mash water - 45 L filtered rainwater – no salts added

45 C for 15” then slow rise to next mash step of

69 C for 60”

75 C for 10”

So predicted result was ABV=4.7% EBC=8 IBU=23

For this batch - Mash efficiency = 96% and Brew house efficiency = 87.38%

Yeast will be DL trub of previous batch of LL i.e. dirty batch #1 in the 58 L SS Kegmenter after it is kegged tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks for sharing this mate, much appreciated. I mean the recipe, not the cube. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

Thanks for sharing this mate, much appreciated. I mean the recipe, not the cube. 🤣

No FWK giveaways this time round Mick, I Want to see what the CCPM change does to the double 44 L batch.  Once I have done the final taste test and compared with previous batch, yeah - nah - maybe 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@iBooz2 I only brew FWK now and even when brewed KnK never can remember boiling sugar. Have you always done this with you're brews? does it add something more than mixing in at the end of boil?

BTW love the scenery it's the backyard?

@Uhtred Of Beddanburg I always sprinkle any sugar required (Aussie Lagers) into the boil at point where it does not interrupt any late hop additions etc., so that it dissolves well and the boil has enough time to kill any nasties in or on the sugar grains.   In this case just before the 10" hop additions.

Yep it's our Bali garden in the backyard.  One of my mates reckons I bought back half of Thailand with me from a holiday we had there several years back.😆

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@Uhtred Of Beddanburg I always sprinkle any sugar required (Aussie Lagers) into the boil at point where it does not interrupt any late hop additions etc., so that it dissolves well and the boil has enough time to kill any nasties in or on the sugar grains.   In this case just before the 10" hop additions.

Yep it's our Bali garden in the backyard.  One of my mates reckons I bought back half of Thailand with me from a holiday we had there several years back.😆

Looks very nice my backyard is a big tree and a whole lot of holes and dog poo.

Oh and you have always boiled the sugar and don't know if it changes the taste? Never thought about boiling it because if bottle goes in raw.

Then I suppose the beer has already got alcohol to sterilise compared to pre brew?

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

simple lightweight saison keg filler today

$6, not bad really

Style: Saison

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.032 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 17.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          66.7 %        1.30 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          16.7 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          16.7 %        0.33 L        
10.00 ml         Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           4          17.3 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          French Saison Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M29)         Yeast         5          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 8

32 minutes ago, beach_life said:

$6, not bad really

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          66.7 %        1.30 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          16.7 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          16.7 %        0.33 L        
10.00 ml         Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           4          17.3 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          French Saison Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M29)         Yeast         5          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

32 minutes ago, beach_life said:

$6, not bad really

That's pretty awesome Beachy, you wouldn't think it possible.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, beach_life said:

$6, not bad really

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------

I would love to know where you get your hop extract from?

• Like 2