Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Bit busy this R&R so just bought a FWK and threw this down.

Good luck with that @Red devil 44 Reddler and I think I have heard good reports about All Inn Prods including the All Inn Red IPA with good results... so should be good hopefully mate... and go the Socceroos ; )

• Like 4

So besides some cleaning, pretty much done for the early December 2022 Brew Fest:

Kegged the earlier Ale, and backfilled with the next Aleo (bit of a darker look with some Rye n late Choc addition chasing red colour🤔 suspect will be dark amber but ah well)...  reinstated the new Larger in the Brew Fridge (quite a pale fella) and with extra Stellar San and boiling water in action flying around the brewery back-filled (👽) the Ale FV with the fresh Wort on the US05 Yeast Cake... so two new kegs in the Inventory being gassed up at 40 and two new brews in Ferment... cuppla (hopefully) productive Brew Days👍

Yesterday's Larger cranked up within hours on the prior Dubbya yeast cake, and I counted all the cells, and there were: Lots 😜

image.thumb.png.b8bd783dfedc0763e54faea970356ae0.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Japanese Rice Lager 2.0

This time with Flaked Rice (see my tribulations with milling Flake Rice here).  I did add Rice Hulls to the mash (about a handful to each kg of grist), but it was not enough.  I had a stuck sparge.  I had to scrape the bottom mash pipe screen to get liquid to flow.   The sparge with the cereal mash of the rice was slow but not stuck like this one.

644190369_Recipe2.jpg.69227cf57503c3914e555a042de85751.jpg

The photo below also shows a lot of solids in the boil.  It did clear up a bit when transferring to the FV, but still a lot of cold break material got in.

IMG_3387.JPG.3386925a92c24222bced3a95df1b9372.JPG

Transferring to the FV

IMG_3388.JPG.d6e1929a2df2691c54b5bf5708a32140.JPG

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Japanese Rice Lager 2.0

This time with Flaked Rice (see my tribulations with milling Flake Rice here).  I did add Rice Hulls to the mash (about a handful to each kg of grist), but it was not enough.  I had a stuck sparge.  I had to scrape the bottom mash pipe screen to get liquid to flow.   The sparge with the cereal mash of the rice was slow but not stuck like this one.

644190369_Recipe2.jpg.69227cf57503c3914e555a042de85751.jpg

The photo below also shows a lot of solids in the boil.  It did clear up a bit when transferring to the FV, but still a lot of cold break material got in.

IMG_3387.JPG.3386925a92c24222bced3a95df1b9372.JPG

Transferring to the FV

IMG_3388.JPG.d6e1929a2df2691c54b5bf5708a32140.JPG

Yeah, I had a stuck sparge as well the first time I used flaked rice but nevertheless still had overshot the Pre-boil and OG estimates a fair bit. The 2nd time I used more rice hulls and it was ok. The result was worth it though. Loved the beer. I'll go back to Hallertauer hops though as I liked it better than with the Sorachi Ace. I use less Pilsner malt but more rice and a little Carapils and acidulated malt.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Japanese Rice Lager 2.0

This time with Flaked Rice (see my tribulations with milling Flake Rice here).  I did add Rice Hulls to the mash (about a handful to each kg of grist), but it was not enough.  I had a stuck sparge.  I had to scrape the bottom mash pipe screen to get liquid to flow.

Next time you do a cereal mash try not milling the rice at all and do a 90 min mash and see if it affects your efficiency. It didn't for me and no issues with sparging.

• Like 6

AG Brew Day tomorrow KEG LAND BERLINIER WEISSE kit

I just ordered some new brew gear 2 x 19l Corny Kegs/Lines & I have also added the Pro Screen for the BrewZilla Gen 3 35ml

I have prepared my water & currently cleaning/sanitising all equipment so hopefully by Xmas it will be carbed up in a keg.

Cheers.

KB05281 35L BZ Berliner Weisse Recipe Kit.pdf

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just ordered some new brew gear 2 x 19l Corny Kegs/Lines & I have also added the Pro Screen for the BrewZilla Gen 3 35ml

I have prepared my water & currently cleaning/sanitising all equipment so hopefully by Xmas it will be carbed up in a keg.

Cheers.

KB05281 35L BZ Berliner Weisse Recipe Kit.pdf 2.16 MB · 1 download

Go you good thing. Goodonya Phil, loveyawork mate. Looks a nice beer too. Hope the shoulder's hangin' in there for ya.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Go you good thing. Goodonya Phil, loveyawork mate. Looks a nice beer too. Hope the shoulder's hangin' in there for ya.

Cheers Mick, I am hoping I can handle the malt pipe, but I have my neighbour on standby just in case, it's not the weight, just the pain & besides Doc told me to rest it 🤔 There is not much margin for error when you are standing over the hot, heavy dripping pipe, it really has to be spot on. I will do my best. Cheers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers.

KB05281 35L BZ Berliner Weisse Recipe Kit.pdf 2.16 MB · 3 downloads

Sounds like a good Brew

I'd better drop over for a glass, close to Christmas

Hope it all goes well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

All the best with that AG Brew @Classic Brewing Co mate and as @Mickep Mick notes hopefully the lifting goes ok - good that the festive neighbour might be there to provide some assistance 👍

Thanks mate, I am hoping it will go well, I have been putting this off to long & I really want to be making more AG brews because as we all know they are far superior to k & K. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

I have done a few brews now and was looking to try the Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA as my next "kit" 

Anyone else had the pleasure of this? and how true to the American IPA flavor is it?

It is an absolute cracker of a beer, I have done it a few times & was very happy with it, here's my latest one.

20221205_151434.thumb.jpg.a3b101ce22e222fe48059f53ec047ee4.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cult Of One said:

I have done a few brews now and was looking to try the Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA as my next "kit" 

Anyone else had the pleasure of this? and how true to the American IPA flavor is it?

I have used it in a couple of the Coopers Hop Slam IPA recipes.  It has pretty high IBUs, so that matches up with American IPA.  However, you need to throw a good amount of fermentables to get over 5% ABV.  Even my version of the Hop Slam IPA (USA - Sequoia) only got up to 4.9%.

It is certainly full flavoured.  If you like American IPA, I am sure you will like the Brew A IPA.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It is an absolute cracker of a beer, I have done it a few times & was very happy with it, here's my latest one.

20221205_151434.thumb.jpg.a3b101ce22e222fe48059f53ec047ee4.jpg

Thanks for that.  I think my xmas break will be a perfect time to get it up unless its a million degrees. Melbourne at the moment is so cold for this time of year I should be making it now but space constraints for storage are not in my favor Looking forward to the IPA 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have used it in a couple of the Coopers Hop Slam IPA recipes.  It has pretty high IBUs, so that matches up with American IPA.  However, you need to throw a good amount of fermentables to get over 5% ABV.  Even my version of the Hop Slam IPA (USA - Sequoia) only got up to 4.9%.

It is certainly full flavoured.  If you like American IPA, I am sure you will like the Brew A IPA.

Thanks for the tip, the ABV is not an issue for me but its good to know. Its all about having a nice tasting IPA. I can generally only have one beer because of the carb content so it taste not booze content I love.  

• Like 5

On 12/5/2022 at 11:06 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers.

KB05281 35L BZ Berliner Weisse Recipe Kit.pdf 2.16 MB · 5 downloads

Unfortunately, I had to cancel brew day as my shoulder is too sore to tackle the malt pipe & I couldn't pinpoint my neighbour to a time to help, SWMBO had given him too many job sheets.

I went down to Foodland as today is the last day for 25% off all Coopers products. I need to get a couple of quick beers in ready to keg for Xmas, sadly no LDM but I will address that tomorrow.

The Phone Camera had a major upgrade the other day & a new effect is 'spot colour' when you select this option & it turns the picture to mono & you can spot the items you want in colour - it looks like you can only select a small area so this will have to do.

20221206_130043.thumb.jpg.136c8dc108efc2dfd0f0bfa478dde5bc.jpg

• Like 7

Easy drinking beer time

Recipe: 777 Pacific Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 7.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 70.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          76.9 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          15.4 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          7.7 %         0.33 L        
100.00 g         Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           4          48.0 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           5          22.8 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          French Saison Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M29)         Yeast         6          -             -             

M29 Yeast

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 9