Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

BREW ZILLA Gen 111 35litre users

Has anyone had any experience with the Pro-Screen for this unit? I have just received mine & will be trying it out in the next few days.

Recently I did away with the top screen, re-circ arm, now I can lose the overflow pipe/cone & just have the false bottom with the pro screen, I cube now instead of using the immersion chiller, so it seems I have a pretty empty interior in the unit obviously making it easier to mash/stir etc.

So, I guess it will be easy sailing unless someone can tell me if there is anything to watch out for.

Cheers.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

From the golf posts you put up in QLD? good weather for a pilsner

Yep especially this time of year. Plenty of pilsners and pale ales over the next few months I reckon, although next batch will be a red ale. Was gonna do it in 2 weeks but will be on boxing day so I can watch the cricket. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yep especially this time of year. Plenty of pilsners and pale ales over the next few months I reckon, although next batch will be a red ale. Was gonna do it in 2 weeks but will be on boxing day so I can watch the cricket. 

Otto, all sounds swell, but we need photos lad, having said that I am sure you have it all under control, I also love a Pils as well as Pales.

• Like 3

All done now - 36 litres in the end. A bit higher OG than expected (1.060 instead of 1.048) and that’s with 5 litres of cold water chucked in. Notto this time.

Maybe when if comes to kegging I’ll add an extra 2 or 3 litres of water, anyone tried that?

FD929977-D1DC-4847-A730-965A4F7972A4.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, stquinto said:

Maybe when if comes to kegging I’ll add an extra 2 or 3 litres of water, anyone tried that?

No, but I have wondered if it could/should be done. 

I have had a lot of brews in the past few months come out with a much higher Original Gravity than expected.  Unfortunately, I cannot get more water into the FV (not enough head-space).  But I could easily add more water at kegging time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Now I would like to suggest that looks like a very nice Mill @stquinto Sainter 😆

And thanks for the good tip @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey : )

Hey Pezzza, really happy with it. I cut a hole in the top of a grain barrel (well, it’s a grain barrel to me), built a wooden bit over the hole to to raise the shaft so I could get my drill onto it. I milled all of that in 7 minutes. Amazing kit! I know they ain’t cheap, bit if it means I’m not milling at 2am with a nocturnal visit to the basement by SWMBO thrown in for good measure it was worth it 🤣

08CDF609-893F-4BA3-8F0D-D3336D67676C.jpeg

609443E3-2F58-4A5B-9A04-86A388C4B118.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

No, but I have wondered if it could/should be done. 

I have had a lot of brews in the past few months come out with a much higher Original Gravity than expected.  Unfortunately, I cannot get more water into the FV (not enough head-space).  But I could easily add more water at kegging time.

I just read up on it. You have to de-oxygenise (dunno if that’s a word or not) the water first. I think boil it, cool it, then keg it and gas it up. Presumably then you add the beer on top. I might try it on the smaller FV just to bring it up to cornie volume. Then again I might heed @Pezzza’s advice 🤔

But it is an interesting experiment 

• Like 4

If you're getting better extraction efficiency from the mash and the SG is higher than expected it'd be easier to just reduce the amount of grain used than faff about with water additions. 

Mine is pretty consistent but every now and then it goes a bit higher for some reason. Not 12 points higher however 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

GHD? 😆 (Ground Hog Day?)

Well.... another Larger Pilly of sorts going down...  Just some lovely freshly milled Weyermann Pilly Malt and a tad of the lovely Weyermann Carapilly... 

HT Mit for the main boil, but am considering doing a 30 minute steep at FO of Mozzie for a bit of something different... 🙂

But... hoping to Lager it for a bit in the keg... so by the time it is consumed if all goes to plan, the ol' wicked Hop Fade may have transformed it back to more of a normal Larger Pilly... 😬

image.thumb.png.802baf3d2d4ffe82a3fc866323e047f6.png

Edited by Pezzza
  • Like 9

19 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

If you're getting better extraction efficiency from the mash and the SG is higher than expected it'd be easier to just reduce the amount of grain used than faff about with water additions. 

Mine is pretty consistent but every now and then it goes a bit higher for some reason. Not 12 points higher however 😂

Good point. I’ve had two problems when scaling the brew using the software. I tend to use Brewfather, export it as an XML file them import into the Grainfather app. It seems to screw up double brews - a Coopers APA and now the Guinness. Quite possibly me messing it up, the error was between the chair and the keyboard and all that…

My fermenting room is currently at 15.5C (cold snap outside) or I have a boiler room at 18C. I moved the FVs there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pezzza said:

GHD? 😆 (Ground Hog Day?)

Well.... another Larger Pilly of sorts going down...  Just some lovely freshly milled Weyermann Pilly Malt and a tad of the lovely Weyermann Carapilly... 

HT Mit for the main boil, but am considering doing a 30 minute steep at FO of Mozzie for a bit of something different... 🙂

But... hoping to Lager it for a bit in the keg... so by the time it is consumed if all goes to plan, the ol' wicked Hop Fade may have transformed it back to more of a normal Larger Pilly... 😬

image.thumb.png.802baf3d2d4ffe82a3fc866323e047f6.png

Luverly stuff Pezzza 👍

I think I may mill my grain finer than yours - more flour in it. Could explain more efficiency? Not had a stuck sparge so far though🤞

• Like 3

Recipe: Summer Sour
Style: Berliner Weisse

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 4.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          80.0 %        2.61 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          10.0 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          10.0 %        0.33 L        
10.00 g          Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  Hop           4          4.9 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Wildbrew Philly Sour (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         5          -             -             

Dragon fruit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, beach_life said:
Recipe: Summer Sour
Style: Berliner Weisse

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 4.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          80.0 %        2.61 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          10.0 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          10.0 %        0.33 L        
10.00 g          Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  Hop           4          4.9 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Wildbrew Philly Sour (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         5          -             -             

Dragon fruit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks interesting Beachie, 

1.0 pkg Wildbrew Philly Sour (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml] Yeast 5 - -

is this liquid yeast?

• Like 2