Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

Put down a couple of partials this evening using up a couple of coopers cans. I had spun up a 2L starter of Imperial Kvieking for both batches.

Partial Mash - 20L

3.8kgs pilsener

200gm carapils

Mashed at 67c. Boiled for 20 mins with Irish moss addition at 10 mins

10L taken out at flameout into a cube and cooled in a water bath

The other 10L put in a 30gm flameout addition of galaxy for a 10 min steep and cubed that as well.

Batch 1 - kviek sour

1 can unhopped Coopers wheat malt

10L unhopped wort

1L starter Imperial Kvieking plus 8 IBS tablets. @ 35c I usually put 4 but they are 2 months past use by.

Will test this tomorrow night for ph. When it hits the low 3's will add some hops to kill the lacto.

Will then bottle this one off

Batch 2 kviek pale ale

1 can Coopers pale ale

10L hopped wort

1L starter Imperial kvieking @ 35c

Will be kegged off with a 20gm keg hop of cascade.

• Like 6

First brewday in a few weeks. Got things semi set up and I’m starting with a single batch of “Bitsa Pale Ale”. It was just a beer I threw together to use up small amounts of grain, so it’s got Pilsner, wheat, Red X and Voyager Veloria in it, hence the name. Hops will be Azacca for a 60 minute boil and a 30min hop stand. Yeast will be Lally Verdant. I’m glad I wrote down the amounts of grain I had used because the beer was actually quite nice 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Bottled up on Boxing Day (cricket on the TV and brewing, is there anything more Aussie than that)?.

The Breaded Dogs American IPA 

Half the fun is knocking up the labels. I did half in Grolsch bottles and half in the 750 swing tops.

The Grolsch is for me to have one and the 750 is the Sharing bottle size 

Happy new year to all Coopers forum members.

IPA.jpg

• Like 12

Style: Weissbier

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 15.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          50.0 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.30 L        
10.00 g          Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           3          15.2 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Bavarian Wheat Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M20)      Yeast         4          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 8

On 12/26/2022 at 10:31 PM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

1L starter Imperial Kvieking plus 8 IBS tablets. @ 35c I usually put 4 but they are 2 months past use by.

Will test this tomorrow night for ph. When it hits the low 3's will add some hops to kill the lacto.

Well, I wrote ar$$-about and needed to be modded. It's a bit odd.

Any way, I like you ingenious kettle sour type method. How will you be adding the hops?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beach_life said:

Well, I wrote ar$$-about and needed to be modded. It's a bit odd.

Yep, I got moderated a few days ago and had to change my comment ‘like a pig in s—t’ to ‘like a pig in poo’ before I could post my comment. I thought it was a bit harsh for being a comment on an adult beer forum 😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/24/2022 at 11:18 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Having a crack at @iBooz2's Coopers Sparkling Ale

Hey  Shamus,  just the other night I poured a few glasses of the quoted CSA recipe out of the first keg (I did two batches in two different FV's) and I found it looked a bit cloudy-er and darker than I was expecting.  The taste is a little on the sweet-ish side for me and of course the 5.8 % ABV is also there which is a bit much for me.  After the first couple of glasses I figured that the crystal malt may be the culprit in my recipe as it's a tad too high for my tastes and then maybe my hop schedule needs to balance that if I leave it where it is.  For my money and next CSA batch the crystal will be dropped back to the same as my COPA recipe (50 g) as I just reckon it overpowers at 100 or so g.

I have not tried the second keg yet but as its exactly the same grain bill suspect its going to be similar.

BTW that COPA recipe I did was superb and very happy.  I think I smashed four kegs of that pale ale in two weeks.😮  

Gotta get @Classic Brewing Co up to speed now that I gifted him a yeast stir plate for Christmas and have him brew some using CCA yeast.

Gotta get me some more of that CPPM and brew lots more. 😁

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Hey  Shamus,  just the other night I poured a few glasses of the quoted CSA recipe out of the first keg (I did two batches in two different FV's) and I found it looked a bit cloudy-er and darker than I was expecting.  The taste is a little on the sweet-ish side for me and of course the 5.8 % ABV is also there which is a bit much for me.  After the first couple of glasses I figured that the crystal malt may be the culprit in my recipe as it's a tad too high for my tastes and then maybe my hop schedule needs to balance that if I leave it where it is.  For my money and next CSA batch the crystal will be dropped back to the same as my COPA recipe (50 g) as I just reckon it overpowers at 100 or so g.

I have not tried the second keg yet but as its exactly the same grain bill suspect its going to be similar.

BTW that COPA recipe I did was superb and very happy.  I think I smashed four kegs of that pale ale in two weeks.😮  

Gotta get @Classic Brewing Co up to speed now that I gifted him a yeast stir plate for Christmas and have him brew some using CCA yeast.

Gotta get me some more of that CPPM and brew lots more. 😁

My batch of your CSA is approaching Final Gravity.  I will have it kegged in a week or two.  Looking forward to give it a try.  One thing I did wonder is whether the CSA is made with the Coopers Premium Ale Malt rather than the Coopers Premium Pale Malt.  It might account for the colour difference between the two recipes and some of the flavour.  I mean, why have an Ale Malt and a Pale Malt if you are not using it in your core range.  It might also help explain why they are called Coopers Sparkling Ale and Coopers Original Pale Ale.

My batch of your COPA is 21 days in the keg and tasting outstanding.  I should do a side-by-side with a commercial one for comparison purposes.  My brother also loved the keg of it that I did for him. 

To help out @Classic Brewing Co and others, I plan to post a "How to make a yeast starter" tutorial soon.  I made an overbuilt (US-05) starter last weekend and took lots of photos of the process.

By the way, I got my CPPM from the Ellerslie Hop Estate warehouse in Mitcham.  Great price.  Also got a sack of CPWM.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 54.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          77.8 %        2.28 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          11.1 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          11.1 %        0.33 L        
10.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          10.3 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Ella [14.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90.2 Hop           5          20.2 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 mi Hop           6          13.3 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           7          10.7 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          New World Strong Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M42)      Yeast         8          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

One thing I did wonder is whether the CSA is made with the Coopers Premium Ale Malt rather than the Coopers Premium Pale Malt.  It might account for the colour difference between the two recipes and some of the flavour.  I mean, why have an Ale Malt and a Pale Malt if you are not using it in your core range.  It might also help explain why they are called Coopers Sparkling Ale and Coopers Original Pale Ale.

My batch of your COPA is 21 days in the keg and tasting outstanding.  I should do a side-by-side with a commercial one for comparison purposes.  My brother also loved the keg of it that I did for him. 

To help out @Classic Brewing Co and others, I plan to post a "How to make a yeast starter" tutorial soon.  I made an overbuilt (US-05) starter last weekend and took lots of photos of the process.

By the way, I got my CPPM from the Ellerslie Hop Estate warehouse in Mitcham.  Great price.  Also got a sack of CPWM.

Don't forget Coopers make dark ale, vintage ale and stouts too.

Yes I get mine from Ellerslie too, what price was your bag of CPPM?

• Like 3

Red ale today, waiting for the mash water to heat up, grains have been milled as I was able to get another drill from dad the other day. Starting a bit later than planned but being an ale it doesn't take as long as a lager. Should be boiling by about 1:30 and finished up around 3:30/4 so not too late. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Red ale today, waiting for the mash water to heat up, grains have been milled as I was able to get another drill from dad the other day. Starting a bit later than planned but being an ale it doesn't take as long as a lager. Should be boiling by about 1:30 and finished up around 3:30/4 so not too late. 

Sounds good mate, any pics ?

• Like 2

Kaiju Krush Clone today.  Based on a recipe by Pig Den Brewing on BrewFather.

Pretty much hit the numbers exactly.  However, I was down a litre on the volume into the FV. Actually FV's, because I split this brew between 2 x 20 litre Fermenter King Juniors.

It felt like a long brew day today because I also

• 3/4 purged a clean keg of sanitiser with the pressure in a keg that brew last night
  • washed a the keg that blew last night
  • washed one of my beer lines
  • hooked up a keg of my Amber Saison at 40psi for 24 hours

1368285181_KaijuKrush1.jpg.e3958184d1b59276f0dba584c4b99d6c.jpg

412232633_KaijuKrush2.jpg.b0f4bf9447b5b6e2f8218d134e282bb1.jpg

929238419_KaijuKrush3.jpg.5739b2811ab26ede90ee8a5e85c51c25.jpg

• Like 9

Finished the brew, 5 hours including the clean. 
I prepped up a brew for tomorrow - a Guinness clone. Since SWMBO b*ggered off to Ireland there’s no-one to complain about stinking up the house. Well, the kids might, but then I won’t feed them. Pretty easy really 😂

8B9AAC5F-1D2B-4512-85DB-E08510E010AA.jpeg

FCE74D56-8496-46EF-B98D-8EBE524D02A9.jpeg

DCEFDEA5-D8C5-4F67-8AB3-92A1459AE138.jpeg

0A724267-AD5F-4995-8C28-01E1F8DA2906.jpeg

E2BB37A6-400E-4B8E-ACC5-87806455452D.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 4