Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

15 hours ago, Mickep said:

Gave the extract clone of the Lashes a crack today.

298977398_1564891997240558_1930744785886029413_n.jpg

Good stuff Mick. What hops have you got for that one, I can’t quite read the labels?

Looks like good ingredients - let me know how it turns out 👍

• Like 2

Doing an Asian Lager today. This is on a run of 3 lagers in a row which I am Kegging and gonna lager for 3 months. Usual recipe of 3kg pilsener and 1kg rice with sorachi ace hops w34/70 yeast. This is the second in the line and going to do this a little different. Lager number 1 is at 1018 as of this morning with a finish of 1008 ish the normal. I am going to keg this today and put a spunding valve on it to finish off in the keg. The new batch will then go into the fermenter straight after I keg the other off. Come a week later I will do the same thing again so knock out 3 lagers in 3 weeks. Sound like a plan?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Doing an Asian Lager today. This is on a run of 3 lagers in a row which I am Kegging and gonna lager for 3 months. Usual recipe of 3kg pilsener and 1kg rice with sorachi ace hops w34/70 yeast. This is the second in the line and going to do this a little different. Lager number 1 is at 1018 as of this morning with a finish of 1008 ish the normal. I am going to keg this today and put a spunding valve on it to finish off in the keg. The new batch will then go into the fermenter straight after I keg the other off. Come a week later I will do the same thing again so knock out 3 lagers in 3 weeks. Sound like a plan?

Sounds like a good plan Greenie, I am assuming the 1kg rice assists in the clearing of the 'Larger's ?

I think I read somewhere that it also is virtually gluten free.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

great idea Greeny

D-rest, pressure ferment to finish and carbonation all in one go. Save time, save CO2.

I guess 2 weeks at room temp and then cold store to lager?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Sounds very interesting, Greeny.  It will be great to read about the outcome.  You could be about to revolutionise home brewing. Although Americans seem to still be keen to "rack to secondary", which is similar to your plan.

An issue that comes to mind is will the small amount of yeast that goes into the keg be enough to clean up after itself.  I reckon it will be enough to finish fermenting the beer, just like priming bottles.  But whether it needs a bit more oomph to remove the fermentation by-products?

• Like 5

Back in the Mountain Brewery this time thinking some sort of Creamy Ale - Pale Malt, Carapils, a bit of Acidulated and Pilly that needed using up hopefully generate something in the vicinity of Caffrey's but probably a bit more Body and ABV 👍

image.thumb.png.4ea1398029946ef22ef41d8474c6a72b.png

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Back in the Mountain Brewery this time thinking some sort of Creamy Ale - Pale Malt, Carapils, a bit of Acidulated and Pilly that needed using up hopefully generate something in the vicinity of Caffrey's but probably a bit more Body and ABV 👍

More action at Mountain Brew, looking good IP 🍻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

German Pilsner of sorts today was bang on with my Og my hydrometer reads 3-4 points low. Used up the last of my Columbus hence why I used warrior as well for my bittering. Nice day for it mowed the lawn and watched the footy while getting the brew done! Will make a starter for my yeast tonight and probably pitch on Monday! Ignore fermentation temp I won’t be fermenting under pressure!

417D18E2-A608-4C13-96A5-7DB8196D5243.png

5E60861A-A214-4287-8376-417264E9623E.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 9

Recipe: Berliner Weisse 5
Style: Berliner Weisse

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 8.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          50.0 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.30 L        
5.00 g           Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           3          8.1 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Berliner Weisse Blend (White Labs #WLP630) [50.2 Yeast         4          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 8

Cold and grey and chilly outside... no Snow just chilly Drizzle... perfect weather for Brewing : )

An Ale of sorts... probably with some fruity hops late... The grains just Gladdy Pale and some Wy Cara : )

Trying to stave off getting into trouble with no beer and building up stocks a little ; )

image.thumb.png.27fea54bee90c528cee6b4e797b0f637.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Recipe: Flanders (Rosealare 4)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 29.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 15.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         1          71.4 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         2          23.8 %        0.65 L        
0.15 kg          Carafa I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC)                 Grain         3          3.6 %         0.10 L        
0.05 kg          Caraaroma (256.1 EBC)                            Grain         4          1.2 %         0.03 L        
10.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           5          15.9 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 8

The Ultimate Haze - Wheat & Rye IPA - A David Heath Home Brew YouTube recipe.

Finally pretty much right on the numbers for this brew.  OG 1.044 (I got 1.046); IBU 35; Expected ABV 4.5%

30 litre batch (22 litres of concentrated wort, diluted with 8 litres top-up into the fermenter)

• 3.18kg Wheat Malt
  • 790g Munich Malt
  • 780g Rye Malt
  • 290g Quick Oats
  • 260g Carapils
  • 250g Acidulated
  • Also added about 10 handfuls of Rice Hulls.  Sparge was still slow but not too bad
  • Hop schedule was a bit nuts
  • 30 minutes: 7g Azacca, 3g East Kent Goldings, 2g Centennial
  • 25 minutes: 8g EKG, 5g Cent'l
  • 20 minutes: 8g EKG, 5g Cent'l
  • 15 minutes: 8g EKG, 5g Cent'l
  • 10 minutes: 8g EKG, 5g Cent'l
  • 5 minutes: 8g EKG, 5g Cent'l
  • 20 minute hopstand 33g EKG & 50g Centennial
  • Dry hopped planned: 50g EKG & 50g Centennial
  • Adjusted my water to the Hoppy NEIPA profile

My recipe additions

IMG_3203.JPG.31e155d5104a5db7b251966d7ccb2b64.JPG

Mash ready to start

IMG_3202.JPG.9110d15942b922c235bf0173a7053fc6.JPG

Just after the second last boil addition.  The homemade hop spider was very handy for the frequent hop additions.

IMG_3204.JPG.41497cd17b4bff9d5585df569208a811.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The Ultimate Haze - Wheat & Rye IPA - A David Heath Home Brew YouTube recipe.

Come on Shamus, get organised, you got stuff all over the place 🤣

Seriously that is a truly well organised presentation & of course spotless, just what we expect.

It is easy to see how you achieve the levels of greatness in your brews.

I was trained as an Army cook & of course that is what it is all about - organisation.

Well done, now go have a beer 🍻 Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3