Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

19 minutes ago, interceptor said:

Sounds like a great breat apart from the boring as-s yeast

I know, I know….but just following a tried and proven recipe…

Soon to head into my first sour beer with added fruit - thinking frozen berries of some kind.

Any tips on a good dry yeast to use…is lallemand philly the way to go? Any tips welcome to get me off the boring as-s train 😂🤪

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Any tips on a good dry yeast to use…is lallemand philly the way to go? Any tips welcome

Mate @Tone boy Toner don't buckle under peer/beer pressure... if you have good water, great malts and ripper hops, good process and a wonderful clean yeast that behaves beautifully and floccs out well like US05.... enjoy that to the max! 🥳

There are so many amazing different combinations of malts, hops, temps, hop regimes that are delivering great results and many yet to be explored... am struggling to find that boring.

Happy eating Sauerkraut and using aged Balsamic on me Salad or eating nice greek yog if I want something that has gone off 😆

Anyway... each to their own on the BBJ hey 😋

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's my Party, I'll RYE if I want to....  🏴‍☠️  Yeeeehaaa! 

Gladdy Am Ale (what I have got in the Larder), Voyager Heritage Rye, and a bit of Wy Cara Dexy Malt : )

image.thumb.png.646706d1d8a06d1fcdae33aa6664398e.png

Maybe it should be.... It's my Brewery, I'll Rye if want to... (to the same tune) 🥳

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, interceptor said:

the best and only way to go for a easy approach to a sour.

+1 for that I have made two now with a kilo of frozen raspberries, turned out really well with no wild yeast risks to your brewery!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 6:43 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Happy eating Sauerkraut and using aged Balsamic on me Salad or eating nice greek yog if I want something that has gone off 😆

I had better post you a Flanders young man, you can wash your mouth out with it.

16 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

'll Rye if want to

Love yer work!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, interceptor said:

I had better post you a Flanders young man, you can wash your mouth out with it.

Love yer work!

Hahaha all good @interceptor Ceptor old Braumeister Buddy.... 🙂

I have tried some Rodenbach which I believe is a reasonable provider of the Flanders thing.... which I found on special at one stage and they were lovely, interesting, different... but maybe I am still at the earlier stages in my Beautiful Brewing Journey where I am happy with some more bog standard beers, and playing with malt and hops and temps and timing etc... I know there are lots of you Gun Brewers who are onto the more hi-tech stuff and I admire what you do... but I am not thaaat fired up with the whole Sour thing just yet...  so am thinking it surely would be wasted upon me.

However, when it comes to Rye @interceptor Ceptivorous -- here you have got my full attention - and thanks for that Cobber - and am looking forward to the "Rye-if-I-want-to" latest Brew when it comes off the production line : )

And I would recommend any Brewer the Rye from our local growers and Maltster - Voyager - down at Barellan : )

image.thumb.png.8e24106032cabe5402b4048238fbd341.png

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hahaha all good @interceptor Ceptor old Braumeister Buddy.... 🙂

I have tried some Rodenbach which I believe is a reasonable provider of the Flanders thing.... which I found on special at one stage and they were lovely, interesting, different... but maybe I am still at the earlier stages in my Beautiful Brewing Journey where I am happy with some more bog standard beers, and playing with malt and hops and temps and timing etc... I know there are lots of you Gun Brewers who are onto the more hi-tech stuff and I admire what you do... but I am not thaaat fired up with the whole Sour thing just yet...  so am thinking it surely would be wasted upon me.

However, when it comes to Rye @interceptor Ceptivorous -- here you have got my full attention - and thanks for that Cobber - and am looking forward to the "Rye-if-I-want-to" latest Brew when it comes off the production line : )

And I would recommend any Brewer the Rye from our local growers and Maltster - Voyager - down at Barellan : )

image.thumb.png.8e24106032cabe5402b4048238fbd341.png

All sounds good IP, I don't mind the odd sour, in fact I still have an AG kit to brew.

• Haha 2

On 9/8/2022 at 8:33 PM, RDT2 said:

+1 for that I have made two now with a kilo of frozen raspberries, turned out really well with no wild yeast risks to your brewery!

Thanks RD. Do you have to mash up the raspberries first, or boil them to get rid of nasties? Maybe just add them as whole frozen berries?

Does the yeast need a different fermenter, or is it ok to just clean my usual FV afterwards with normal cleaning practices?
Sorry for the 20 questions 😂😬✌️

• Like 2

Blackforest Porter

27.5 Litre batch; OG 1.058; After the cherries addition might get around 5.5% ABV.

Brew numbers pretty much back on track.

• 5.09kg Maris Otter
  • 360g Chocolate Malt
  • 210g Lactose
  • 200g Amber Malt
  • 110g Roasted Barley
  • 90g Acidulated Malt
  • 90g Carafa Special II
  • 70g Melanoidin Malt
  • 1.2kg Morello Cherries (adding in a couple of days)
  • 45g East Kent Goldings & 10g Magnum 45 minute boil
  • 27g East Kent Goldings 20 minute hopstand @90°C
  • Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell Yeast
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Thanks RD. Do you have to mash up the raspberries first, or boil them to get rid of nasties? Maybe just add them as whole frozen berries?

Does the yeast need a different fermenter, or is it ok to just clean my usual FV afterwards with normal cleaning practices?
Sorry for the 20 questions 😂😬✌️

I just followed David Heath’s recipe mashed and fermented as normal then transferred to a new fermenter with the raspberries in a bag and let it sit for a few days where it fermented the sugar out of the raspberries then kegged. Cleaned the fermenter as usual. They say normal beer yeast will dominate the philly sour yeast and take over anyway so no danger of destroying your brewery. The raspberries have been frozen so just defrost and I put the bags in sanitizer before cutting open.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Maybe just add them as whole frozen berries?

I throw fruit in the original fermenter when fermentation has died down - I have used, passionfruit, cherries, blue berries, mango, dragon fruit and others - all have been frozen thoguh

12 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Does the yeast need a different fermenter,

No, it's a normal yeast that has been selected for the lactic acid producing properties it has, there is no bacteria to be concerned about.

pretty much what @RDT2 said

• Thanks 2

Took me all day to make this beer with interruptions. Took the dog for a walk during the mash then had a family lunch then Sparged. Young bloke wanted to go hiking to look for rocks for his rock collection. (Couldn’t let the opportunity to get away from technology pass) So let the wort/mash drain while hiking and then came home completed the boil, kegged my German Pilsner and used the south German lager yeast cake for my IPL. I reckon it had kicked back into active fermentation within 20minutes unbelievable. I had some left over Sabro so thought I would try it out again see if I get the hints of coconut. Been some negatives about this hop so we shall see. I think this is about the eighth beer I have made with this yeast using @Otto Von Blotto ‘s harvest method and yeast cakes! I hit my numbers bang on I would of mashed for 2 hours so don’t know if that helped with the efficiency.

86B9F41F-961C-4284-B2AA-BC5489B81D3A.png

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, interceptor said:

I throw fruit in the original fermenter when fermentation has died down - I have used, passionfruit, cherries, blue berries, mango, dragon fruit and others - all have been frozen thoguh

No, it's a normal yeast that has been selected for the lactic acid producing properties it has, there is no bacteria to be concerned about.

pretty much what @RDT2 said

Do you reckon it makes much difference using the original fermenter as opposed to transferring to a new fermenter as it would be easier to just use the original. Have you done both methods?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Do you reckon it makes much difference using the original fermenter as opposed to transferring to a new fermenter as it would be easier to just use the original. Have you done both methods?

Nah, just drop your fruit into the fermenter. No need racking it. I use a pain strainer bag from Bunnings to put the fruit in and then just leave it in the FV until cold crash. Actually, I kegged a cherry sour yesterday.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

So far, so good, thanks for asking. It does this every now and then, usually, when it is the most inconvenient.

No worries, I hurt my back a while ago moving kegs around (thinking I’m 20 again) and now I put all means in place for a nice easy lift.

Trolley for moving around and little electric crane for lifting as that’s the only downside to a keezer over a fridge.

‘Next one I make will be a fridge though, purely for access and less grunt. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

No worries, I hurt my back a while ago moving kegs around (thinking I’m 20 again) and now I put all means in place for a nice easy lift.

Trolley for moving around and little electric crane for lifting as that’s the only downside to a keezer over a fridge.

‘Next one I make will be a fridge though, purely for access and less grunt. 

I sympathise with you blokes with bad backs, mine is still good, just a dodgy knee but the other day I weakened & bought one of these, with 4 wheels it's great. They are very solid & easy to maneuver, apart from a 23l full FV I stacked 6 cartons of beer on it & it works like a treat for only $16.00.

Syneco 580 x 290 x 100mm Movers Dolly 200kg Capacity

Syneco 580 x 290 x 100mm Movers Dolly

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 4