Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

5 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Well, I totally screwed this one up!  😩 

Got distracted during the mash... long(ish) story short, when I finally returned to check the mash temp it was at 80ºC !!   I brew on a stove top so my "temperature control" for the mash relies on me checking regularly and adjusting if necessary.   

So, instead of an extimated OG of around 1.037 it landed at pitiful 1.027.   I ended up addingd 350g sugar to make up for the deficit. Hopefully it will still be a pleasant enough beer, even if not quite the brew that was intended.    

🙄

NZ Red (20 litre batch)

• 2.4kg GF Ale MAlt
  • 400g GF Redback Malt
  • 100g Flaked Barley
  • 100g GF Dark Crystal
  • 50g Patent Black Malt
  • 25g Sticklebract @20mins
  • 25g Bramling Cross @10mins
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

There are those times when brew day stuff ups end up cracking beers. Happened to me a few times. I wouldnt be to worried about that sugar addition with the malts youve got going on there.

• Like 3

Columbus Pale Ale

The latest in my single hop journey.  I think this brew will be good.  The hop aroma in the brew space was amazing for only 50 grams of hops.

Much higher Brew House Efficiency than usual again today.  It is not exactly a bad thing.  However, when you are expecting a 5%-ish brew but get one that could be 6-7%, it is not ideal.

Recipe:

• 5.6kg Simpsons Maris Otter
  • 350g Wheat Malt
  • 190g Crystal
  • 150g Acidulated Malt
  • 17g Columbus 60 minute boil
  • 11g Columbus 10 minute boil
  • 23g Columbus 20 minute hop stand at 77°C
  • Mineral additions for a Hoppy Style
  • Added a pinch of Sodium Metabisulfite to neutralise the chlorine in the water
  • Wort pitched with a second generation US-05

I ended up making 22.8 litres of 1.070 wort instead of 22 litres at 1.060.  My plan was to dilute the 22 litres with 5 litres in the fermenter for an OG of 1.049.  I would have had to add nearly 10 litres to get my 1.070 wort back to 1.049.  Unfortunately, there is not enough space in the Coopers FV.  So I went with adding 5 litres for an OG of 1.058.

• Like 7

Regents Park Helles. A Bavarian Helles style beer but I’ll ferment it with M54. Not sure what I am doing but I have overshot the pre-boil SG and OG estimates BeerSmith comes up with by a country mile lately. 11 points on pre-boil SG in this case. It’ll be interesting to see the OG.

741E444D-8F56-4708-BCF6-7E21F24742FF.thumb.jpeg.129e5e718dffadb00dacde027295eb80.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Not sure what I am doing but I have overshot the pre-boil SG and OG estimates BeerSmith comes up with by a country mile lately.

It must be the time of year, AK.  I have had the same with my last three brews (using Brewfather, but that should not make any difference).  Before that it was 5-6 points the other way.  I have no explanation for why.  My process has not changed significantly across those 6 brews.

• Like 3

On 7/23/2022 at 10:52 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Columbus Pale Ale

The latest in my single hop journey.  I think this brew will be good.  The hop aroma in the brew space was amazing for only 50 grams of hops.

Much higher Brew House Efficiency than usual again today.  It is not exactly a bad thing.  However, when you are expecting a 5%-ish brew but get one that could be 6-7%, it is not ideal.

Recipe:

• 5.6kg Simpsons Maris Otter
  • 350g Wheat Malt
  • 190g Crystal
  • 150g Acidulated Malt
  • 17g Columbus 60 minute boil
  • 11g Columbus 10 minute boil
  • 23g Columbus 20 minute hop stand at 77°C
  • Mineral additions for a Hoppy Style
  • Added a pinch of Sodium Metabisulfite to neutralise the chlorine in the water
  • Wort pitched with a second generation US-05

I ended up making 22.8 litres of 1.070 wort instead of 22 litres at 1.060.  My plan was to dilute the 22 litres with 5 litres in the fermenter for an OG of 1.049.  I would have had to add nearly 10 litres to get my 1.070 wort back to 1.049.  Unfortunately, there is not enough space in the Coopers FV.  So I went with adding 5 litres for an OG of 1.058.

Sounds great Shamus. Interesting that you had great efficiency with this beer. Have you made it before? I recently made my Aus lager on maris otter as I couldn’t get BB pale malt. I’m normally bang on with the numbers but this time I over shot by  5 or 6 points. Nothing changed except the marry ot. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 1:18 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

It must be the time of year, AK.  I have had the same with my last three brews (using Brewfather, but that should not make any difference).  Before that it was 5-6 points the other way.  I have no explanation for why.  My process has not changed significantly across those 6 brews.

Yeah, same here. I noticed that the last few batches were well above the estimates. I'm used to being a few points up on pre-boil SG and normally +/- 1 on OG but this one was like 11 up on pre-boil and 6 up on OG. The rice lager last week was up 11/7 and the previous two to that were also up a fair bit. I thought maybe I found a sweet spot milling the grains.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Sounds great Shamus. Interesting that you had great efficiency with this beer. Have you made it before? I recently made my Aus lager on maris otter as I couldn’t get BB pale malt. I’m normally bang on with the numbers but this time I over shot by  5 or 6 points. Nothing changed except the marry ot. 

You know what, Mitch, the Simpsons Maris Otter could be a factor.  The brewhouse efficiency for the Columbus brew was 85%.  I did an Amarillo version of this brew previously.  It had a 66% brewhouse efficiency.  But I used 90% Joe White Traditional Ale Malt.  Before that was a Simcoe version.  Again with 90% Joe White Traditional Ale Malt for a brewhouse efficiency of 72%.

Brewfather defaulted the Simpsons Maris Otter to 1.036 Potential and 79% Yield.  Compared to the Joe White Traditional Ale Malt at 1.038 Potential and 82.5% Yield.  I think I can definitely increase the values for the Maris Otter.  However, that change is not enough to explain the quite different brewhouse efficiencies.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, same here. I noticed that the last few batches were well above the estimates. I'm used to being a few points up on pre-boil SG and normally +/- 1 on OG but this one was like 11 up on pre-boil and 6 up on OG. The rice lager last week was up 11/7 and the previous two to that were also up a fair bit. I thought maybe I found a sweet spot milling the grains.

I thought about the grain crush, AK.  However, my grain crush has not changed now for the past 8 - 10 brews. 

I am not really complaining, but I did want to make a beer that I could drink all night.

• Like 1

Recipe: Aussie Red Ale
Style: Irish Red Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 33.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                 Grain         1          69.8 %        1.96 L        
0.50 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          11.6 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          11.6 %        0.33 L        
0.20 kg          Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)            Grain         4          4.7 %         0.13 L        
0.10 kg          Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC)          Grain         5          2.3 %         0.07 L        
15.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           6          23.9 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Liberty Bell Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M36)          Yeast         7          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 8

Recipe: Rye Pale
Style: Rye IPA

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 84.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          57.1 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          14.3 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          14.3 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         4          14.3 %        0.65 L        
10.00 ml         Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           5          41.2 IBUs     -             
45.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           6          19.9 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           7          16.0 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min Hop           8          7.2 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Hophead Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M66)         Yeast         9          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, interceptor said:
Recipe: Aussie Red Ale
Style: Irish Red Ale

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 33.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                 Grain         1          69.8 %        1.96 L        
0.50 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          11.6 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          11.6 %        0.33 L        
0.20 kg          Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)            Grain         4          4.7 %         0.13 L        
0.10 kg          Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC)          Grain         5          2.3 %         0.07 L        
15.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           6          23.9 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Liberty Bell Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M36)          Yeast         7          -             -             

I’ll be interested to see the colour of that brew IC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Step 2:  Organise the vessel and grain basket, inkbird temp regulator with probe in wet-well of vessel, add the filtered rainwater and heat to produce strike water at desirable temp for establishment of the Mash. 

image.thumb.png.19d459f444017b40f6dcac9b361c3c2d.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 7

Step 5: Bring to boil with Lid Off and apply rolling boil for an hour and add bittering hops early if so wish... and clean the grain basket with pressure sprayer and festive little brush if available ; )

Have snag w two different types of sauce to replenish energy.  Add hops as required during the boil.

Open up the Brewery up and set up fan to blow boil-off-steam out the window so Kitch does not become Sauna.... and put on uggies as the freezing outside air introduces brass monkey weather ; )

image.thumb.png.1a879a057c1607deb35366f5748b345a.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Bit late putting these on but have just kegged the Beerfarm IPL clone and from the taste I have had when I kegged it tastes dam good. I also made a Munich Dunkel for my mate which I cubed and pitched yesterday with a harvested yeast starter. He just bought some kegs and a second hand fridge after tasting my beer 🍻 

22FF011F-96F5-49FE-BFC3-47A5CC09CF8C.png

B2D7CA71-D4F0-409F-86BA-FDD06A64ABBC.png

• Like 4

Step 7: Steam-sterilise vessel lid, weight down lid -- and set Inkbird Controller temp to desired cooling temp for fan to run to.

Happy Brewing All - and now time for an Ale after all the hard work of Brew Day has been done 👍

image.thumb.png.c57aa3c0ad35f7a7f33dbf0b6f8d7073.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Step 7: Steam-sterilise vessel lid, weight down lid -- and set Inkbird Controller temp to desired cooling temp for fan to run to.

Happy Brewing All - and now time for an Ale after all the hard work of Brew Day has been done 👍

image.thumb.png.c57aa3c0ad35f7a7f33dbf0b6f8d7073.png

Well done IP, enjoy your Ale, Cheers 🍻

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Have snag w two different types of sauce to replenish energy

@Itinerant PeasantAt first I thought the sausage and sauce was something to go in the brew!😄 Thanks for the great set of photos and explanations. Things I've been reading about; I can now think 'so that's what that looks like'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Things I've been reading about; I can now think 'so that's what that looks like'.

Haha coolio glad it might be of some use 🙂 @jennyss JSS 👍

And then of course there is the washing up... forgot to add the below pic earlier on ; )

The big white tub is just to be able to cart the mesh basket outside to throw the spent grain "overboard" and avoid dribbling hot sticky wort everywhere ; )

image.thumb.png.4927ace18455f3385478eec4773dc618.png

• Like 3