Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

16 hours ago, RDT2 said:

No worries I did like the last one I made with the same 60min addition and so did the wife, she doesn’t like bitter and would definitely tell me if it was. The only difference is the yeast and citra. It was hoppy but wouldn’t say it was fruit juice and IMO was well balanced so see how this one goes. Probably be bitter as f$&k now that I’ve defended it🤣🍻 

The thing with NEIPAS are they are not balanced. They also tend to have 2 dry hops to take advantage of the biotransformation, but not always. Your recipe is under 5g/l for the dry hop with under 71g for the late additions and 24g in the 60 min, at 25l, this is an IPA or even APA. It will probably be really nice but falls short of a NEIPA, as per BJCP guidelines. That makes me sound pedantic but just clarifying some things. To make it more of a NEIPA I would move the simcoe addition to 10 min or under and up the late additions to get the IBUs you are after while increasing the dry hop to at least 8g/l if not higher and look to split it to take advantage of what verdant brings besides the whirlpool additions affects. Or don't, Hahha, like I said it looks like a good beer, you could also reduce the volume to 21l to increase the flavour and aroma. 

I hope this doesn't annoy you, if so, my apologies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2021 at 5:11 PM, RDT2 said:

03CC8C77-AEDD-49A0-8983-06BBFDD0652A.thumb.png.2ede4417a1cdc1a12829de4332039aba.png

Brew day today all went well making a Neipa same grist as my last one which was a biggie juice clone but subbed simcoe in for my bittering hop instead of Columbus and citra for Amarillo. I also used verdant instead of Kveik. After hearing a lot about verdant it should be interesting. My numbers were spot on although I think hydrometer reads a couple of points low. I await a tropical passion fruit storm. I plan to dry hop with citra, Galaxy and simcoe. 🍻 

Good luck with that one @RDT2 RD mate sounds very nice and plenty of ABVs by the looks haha!

You there @Red devil 44 Reddler - here's a festive NEIPA underway from RD and some really good NEIPA discussion which might be of interest... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

The thing with NEIPAS are they are not balanced. They also tend to have 2 dry hops to take advantage of the biotransformation, but not always. Your recipe is under 5g/l for the dry hop with under 71g for the late additions and 24g in the 60 min, at 25l, this is an IPA or even APA. It will probably be really nice but falls short of a NEIPA, as per BJCP guidelines. That makes me sound pedantic but just clarifying some things. To make it more of a NEIPA I would move the simcoe addition to 10 min or under and up the late additions to get the IBUs you are after while increasing the dry hop to at least 8g/l if not higher and look to split it to take advantage of what verdant brings besides the whirlpool additions affects. Or don't, Hahha, like I said it looks like a good beer, you could also reduce the volume to 21l to increase the flavour and aroma. 

I hope this doesn't annoy you, if so, my apologies.

Well it’s going to be a beer and it’s got hops in it. Not annoyed seriously tastes like Biggie Juice ((Neipa), well my first one did. Still have some left might pop to the bottle and grab one to compare it. If it’s similar I’ll head down to Feral Brewery and hit them with the BJCP guidelines🤣 (That’s a joke Feral Brewery don’t panic) By the way it’s tastes good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Good luck with that one @RDT2 RD mate sounds very nice and plenty of ABVs by the looks haha!

You there @Red devil 44 Reddler - here's a festive NEIPA underway from RD and some really good NEIPA discussion which might be of interest... 

Am I going to get another smack?🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Am I going to get another smack?🤣

Naargh RD - Reddler @Red devil 44 was just asking about NEIPA Ideas and I thought this discussion here with @Norris!was good and what you were doing @RDT2 was cool and also provided Red the @Shamus O'Sean Shamus kindly managed Coopers Recipe Ideas big spready so all up a good result from the Forum as we would expect 😆

• Like 4

Had a TRI-RIFIC brew day here today in the Alicat Brewery.  Those boys and girls that do AG would be proud of me.

Broke my previous record of 2 x AG batches of 2 different recipes in one day. 

But wait there is more…today,  did 3 x AG batches.  And what is even more amazing is that they were all different recipes as well, no double up batches and some had long triple mash schedules and then 90” boils. 

Yabba dabba doooooo.

Big day as started at 6 am this morning and just finished at 7:30 pm tonight.  Still managed to cook dinner as well, San Choy Bow (my wife would starve to death rather than cook a meal). 

Some clean-up will be done in the morning as the gear is still a bit hot to handle so will rinse it out tonight and then put some hot SP though everything and then let it sit until for a while then flush it all.  Got my routine down pat now and have little run sheets for each brew so I can be just ahead of what needs to happen.  Got the water volumes all sorted for the different boils and bloody hell even starting to nail the mash PH numbers, did that 2 out of 3 today so things are really looking up.

There is definitely economies of scale only having to rinse and flush things out between brews and then do the big clean-up at the end of day.

So now I have got 3 x 20 litre cubes (they hold about 22.5 L) cooling off ready and waiting for a FV to become available.

First up was a Leigh’s Lager version 3 which I brew for a sick mate, its along the lines of VB etc. but uses Diamond Lager yeast.

Second batch was one I have been meaning to brew for a while, well since I got AG gear anyway which was a Carlsberg Pilsner and will use WLP850 yeast.

Third brew off the rank was a go at a Coopers Sparkling Ale copy using Maris Otter base malt.  It will of course use the CCA.  Just need to drink some real ones and spin up the stir plate for a starter.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

But wait there is more…today,  did 3 x AG batches. 

So maaaaate after all the earlier sad n grumbliness about vast time consumption and efficiency etc you have finally come on board the splendiferous HMAS AllGrainer by the sounds of things hey there Boozer !?! 

Sensational effort - done well.  Well played. Luvyerwork.

At one stage there I thought yer wer gunna ditch the whole thing and go back to the syrups...  which do make good beer in the right hands don't get me wrong!

Blllllaaaardy byordiful as some ol' Bushies might say 🥳

Really look forward to seeing how they turn out! 

And gold you are brewing for a crook mate....

And for all and general yee Brewers... an elderly festive 'old Dear' mate of mine died this morning and she had been badly physically constrained in Hossi the last few weeks so thank God it was a release and yeah focusing on the positives of the best Apple Pie Baker that taught me a few tricks so it's good to look after folk not so good @iBooz2Boozer hey and Vale Dorothy... she was an absolute Champion despite her years and physical impairments and what a beautiful person. 

Cheers Brewers.

Being alive is a beautiful thing.

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

But wait there is more…today,  did 3 x AG batches. 

That's great to hear, AL.  I will have to think about doing the same thing.  I need to get more fermenting space though.

Did you end up posting the Carlsberg recipe?  I think there was a query about it and I would be interested.

Recipe: Aussie Lager
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 12.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          87.1 %        2.28 L        
0.02 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         2          0.5 %         0.01 L        
0.50 kg          Dextrose (Briess) [Boil] (2.0 EBC)               Sugar         3          12.4 %        0.32 L        
25.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          25.8 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to use Wyeast California Lager in this one....

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Graubart said:

And for all and general yee Brewers... an elderly festive 'old Dear' mate of mine died this morning and she had been badly physically constrained in Hossi the last few weeks so thank God it was a release and yeah focusing on the positives of the best Apple Pie Baker that taught me a few tricks so it's good to look after folk not so good @iBooz2Boozer hey and Vale Dorothy... she was an absolute Champion despite her years and physical impairments and what a beautiful person. 

Cheers Brewers.

Being alive is a beautiful thing.

Sorry to hear that @Graubart, may she Rest In Peace

Every day I wake up alive I say to myself “well, the day’s starting good”, so I’m with you on that one

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Sorry to hear that @Graubart, may she Rest In Peace

Every day I wake up alive I say to myself “well, the day’s starting good”, so I’m with you on that one

Being alive is a wonderful thing, being healthy follows closely, so I guess all of the wealth & everything we call precious means nothing unless we can wake up in the morning draw breath, stand upright & get on with the day & enjoy what is around around us.

• Like 4

On 5/21/2021 at 8:55 AM, Graubart said:

Agree w all the above @RDT2 and @Graculus and @DeviantLogic and... as I had to give the Brew Fridge a good clean yesterday here is a photo of the FVLSS (FV Load Support System) - only the FVLSS also has a large plastic cutting board up above that glass fridge plate to spread the load a bit further (apologies was not included in photo 😆)

Of course Aluminium Checker Plate or hardened glass or varnished marine ply or...... would be nice... But it'd be a shame to waste such a beautiful thing as the below -- surely now after all of that long and arduous technology development, concept appraisal, testing and field implementation has been such a roaring success... same as  @RDT2 RD's patented awful-megaswill-tinnies and block of wood load support system?!? 😋  Necessity is the mother of all invention 😜

image.thumb.png.f736e2bf2f5cb6dafed9fdcda337664f.png

Here's mine - swmbo dropped a toilet stool (not a turd!) In front of me and directed me to try that. A bit of adjusting with sawn up fence palings and she all good.

20210619_081752.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spursman said:

Here's mine - swmbo dropped a toilet stool (not a turd!) In front of me and directed me to try that. A bit of adjusting with sawn up fence palings and she all good.

A truly beautiful piece of design and FVLSS construction Spursman ; )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well brew day was actually yesterday, but didn’t get time to post as I had to rush off for a quick sip with friends. 
But I did get to try a Irish red ale which was loosely based on @Otto Von Blotto ‘s recipe. As I am a partial masher I adjusted it as best I could, bearing in mind that I couldn’t get some grains so had to substitute. 

Black Rock lager tin (sorry Coopers but I needed low bitterness to start and your lager tin had too many IBUs)

800g Crisp best ale malt

360g Gladfields Shepherds delight

200g Munich light

200g carapils

75g JW roasted barley 

500g LDME

250g Dextrose 

Fuggles and EKG 

Repitched Nottingham yeast from previous brew-fermenting at 15C. 7C9D909C-5B1D-49E2-9FAD-2A3341D2F86A.thumb.jpeg.27c4899d5a67f860d46c91eed9707873.jpegC98D1D1A-D27E-48C6-8399-7852B9BD9A06.thumb.jpeg.69e0196c131c2b833e52c92a04432224.jpegE1895D88-54E1-452C-9339-742ED5C23A83.thumb.jpeg.8f50385ac0d467b54088bcc91b169c23.jpeg

B4A6D6D9-695F-4CF1-B85B-B78FEDD105C8.jpeg

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Well brew day was actually yesterday, but didn’t get time to post as I had to rush off for a quick sip with friends. 
But I did get to try a Irish red ale which was loosely based on @Otto Von Blotto ‘s recipe. As I am a partial masher I adjusted it as best I could, bearing in mind that I couldn’t get some grains so had to substitute. 

Black Rock lager tin (sorry Coopers but I needed low bitterness to start and your lager tin had too many IBUs)

800g Crisp best ale malt

360g Gladfields Shepherds delight

200g Munich light

200g carapils

75g JW roasted barley 

500g LDME

250g Dextrose 

Fuggles and EKG 

Repitched Nottingham yeast from previous brew-fermenting at 15C. 7C9D909C-5B1D-49E2-9FAD-2A3341D2F86A.thumb.jpeg.27c4899d5a67f860d46c91eed9707873.jpegC98D1D1A-D27E-48C6-8399-7852B9BD9A06.thumb.jpeg.69e0196c131c2b833e52c92a04432224.jpegE1895D88-54E1-452C-9339-742ED5C23A83.thumb.jpeg.8f50385ac0d467b54088bcc91b169c23.jpeg

B4A6D6D9-695F-4CF1-B85B-B78FEDD105C8.jpeg

Looks good mate I have an Irish Red on tap now it’s a delicious easy drinker good luck and hope it turns out. 🍻 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Brewing up the house pale ale with mosaic, centennial and eclipse. Spinning up some notty, 150b cell overbuild. I adjusted the recipe slightly by moving some hop additions to make this more of a hazy...But I probably could of left out the Munich and went with wheat only. I didn't because I really like Munich but it might make the beer a little dark and muddy looking...we will see how it looks after a cold crash.

Screenshot_20210619-155056_Firefox.thumb.jpg.db8160271591d0a941af57477b446921.jpg

Screenshot_20210619-155105_Firefox.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/17/2021 at 8:33 PM, Graubart said:

So maaaaate after all the earlier sad n grumbliness about vast time consumption and efficiency etc you have finally come on board the splendiferous HMAS AllGrainer by the sounds of things hey there Boozer !?! 

Don't worry I am still grumbling 😩 but I have a saying....  No Trucking Effort = No Trucking Reward.

Therefore I will be sailing on.  After all, its the good ship HMAS AllGrainer so beat that slave ship drum cause I'am a rowing. ha ha..😄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

Brewing up the house pale ale with mosaic, centennial and eclipse. Spinning up some notty, 150b cell overbuild. I adjusted the recipe slightly by moving some hop additions to make this more of a hazy...But I probably could of left out the Munich and went with wheat only. I didn't because I really like Munich but it might make the beer a little dark and muddy looking...we will see how it looks after a cold crash.

Screenshot_20210619-155056_Firefox.thumb.jpg.db8160271591d0a941af57477b446921.jpg

Screenshot_20210619-155105_Firefox.jpg

I may have asked this before, mate. What's your hopstand look like? Is that kettle or cube?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Popo said:

I may have asked this before, mate. What's your hopstand look like? Is that kettle or cube?

I depends on the recipe and what I am trying to get but for this one it is a cube hop at 80c, so when it drops to 80c I put the wort in the cube on top of the hops.  I find this maximises the aroma and flavours, I generally ferment it within a day maybe 2 days.

I do some whirlpool additions but I show them as 5 minutes when I no chill. I will add those if I want a firmer bitterness and in place of recipes with 30 min additions and down as it is hard to get the bitterness right no chilling I generally skip those.hope that helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is going in clear and with a nice copper colour. Just have the kettle to clean and I am done. Good brew day, went over by a point but it looks and smells good.

Don't Worry, I wiped off the mouth. 20210619_182350.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 6