Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

10 hours ago, stquinto said:

Got three half-brews on the go: Coopers XPA (12l), Ashes Ales (10l) and a Belgian Dubbel (9l)

I couldn’t get Bramling Cross but found Mandarina which apparently has the same flavour profile. No longer proper Ashes ingredients but hey…

I made up an approximation of Coopers BE3 for the Belgian, and dry-pitched a whole pack of S-33. Hope it’s not overboard. OG of 1.072 on that one, better leave it to mature for a cuppla months and go easy on it. Or not 🤣

My drinking bunker is now the brewery too

@stquinto  Your Drinking Bunker/Brewing Room looks impressive, it is always interesting to see other brewers set-ups, correct me if I am wrong, I think you said you were in Switzerland.

The different looking FV's/equipment are also interesting.

I need to tell you your attempt to hide your precious home brew supplies just doesn't cut it man, come on you need to do better than that ! 🤣  

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Well it's the Queen's Birthday holiday and I've slapped together a Family Secret amber ale with liquid light malt and a CCA yeast starter pitched at 20C and fermenting at 20C.

In keeping with the royal theme and sordid family secrets I'm calling this one Prince Ambrew Ale. (Please note the spelling connotation to avoid costly defamation proceedings from the House of Windsor) 🤣🤣

Good one Muzzy, nice to see you aren't wasting a Public Holiday, I had a mate coming around to have a few beers & watch me put a brew together but his SWMBO caught on & suggested to him his time would be better spent staying at home with the kids or perhaps go for a drive or something. Now I understand married guys have a responsibility but I really could have used his help.

She didn't believe that either. 

Good luck with the Prince Ambrew Ale.  Nice one. I must start naming my brews ... 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

Good one Muzzy, nice to see you aren't wasting a Public Holiday, I had a mate coming around to have a few beers & watch me put a brew together but his SWMBO caught on & suggested to him his time would be better spent staying at home with the kids or perhaps go for a drive or something. Now I understand married guys have a responsibility but I really could have used his help.

She didn't believe that either. 

Good luck with the Prince Ambrew Ale.  Nice one. I must start naming my brews ... 🤔

I only give my beers names on here for a bit of fun. I don't label my bottles either. I just put a tag on the boxes so I know what they are eg. APA/CCA yeast.

Phil, now you're retired, you'll need to practise your feeble old man routine on your mate's wife. ie. I could really use a helping hand lifting the heavy fermenter. Surely her compassion will come to the fore and allow him out. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I only give my beers names on here for a bit of fun. I don't label my bottles either. I just put a tag on the boxes so I know what they are eg. APA/CCA yeast.

Phil, now you're retired, you'll need to practise your feeble old man routine on your mate's wife. ie. I could really use a helping hand lifting the heavy fermenter. Surely her compassion will come to the fore and allow him out. 😁

Good points Muzzy, although I reckon & have been told I am fitter & stronger than most of my mates so that may not work, the lifting part but I could try it. 

All in good fun, I have a few single mates but the married mates can't just come around when they want & strangely I always get the blame for getting them Brahms and Liszt.

The only time I label my bottles is sometimes I send or give to a rellie or friend.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

White Stout

There's something you don't see everyday @Aussiekraut I realise yours is AG but I have tried a commercial version of it also there was a craft brewery in regional SA ( Port Pirie ) that had it on tap.

They are closed now but I remember it tasted pretty good. 

Yeah I never heard of it until I had one at a local craft brewery.  Dry nice indeed but takes a lot of messing about. The stout flavours normally come from grains like roasted barley but of course you can’t add this to a white stout or it won’t be white any more. The coffee and chocolate flavours have to come from coffee and chocolate. Got some soaking in vodka atm and will add them at around day 3 or 4. I hope it works out as planned. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah I never heard of it until I had one at a local craft brewery.  Dry nice indeed but takes a lot of messing about. The stout flavours normally come from grains like roasted barley but of course you can’t add this to a white stout or it won’t be white any more. The coffee and chocolate flavours have to come from coffee and chocolate. Got some soaking in vodka atm and will add them at around day 3 or 4. I hope it works out as planned. 

Sounds awesome, good luck.

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

In keeping with the royal theme and sordid family secrets I'm calling this one Prince Ambrew Ale. (Please note the spelling connotation to avoid costly defamation proceedings from the House of Windsor) 🤣🤣

That would be the "Randy Andy Love Potion" would it Muzz ? 😍

Sounds like a good brew. My first attempt at the commercial yeast ended up with half of it all over the walls of the kitchen, so I'll have to give it another go. Maybe not shake it up so much like an 8 year old with a coke bottle...

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean what yeast did you use for Stella clone? have you done it before how close to real thing? so obviously it's OK to leave carapils in for hour i took mine out at 30 for last Euro lager.

S-189, because it was what I had.

No, I have not done it before.  Certainly will be reporting back.

It is okay to leave Carapils in the mash/steep for an hour.  In fact, my mash + mash out was over 1.5 hours.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

S-189, because it was what I had.

No, I have not done it before.  Certainly will be reporting back.

It is okay to leave Carapils in the mash/steep for an hour.  In fact, my mash + mash out was over 1.5 hours.

just checking usually specialty malts are only 30 mon.but is carapils ok because is lighter of them all?

45 minutes ago, stquinto said:

That would be the "Randy Andy Love Potion" would it Muzz ? 😍

Sounds like a good brew. My first attempt at the commercial yeast ended up with half of it all over the walls of the kitchen, so I'll have to give it another go. Maybe not shake it up so much like an 8 year old with a coke bottle...

Nah Dave, you gotta shake it up to keep the yeast in suspension. You can be an 8 year old while doing so but you also have to be a grown up when opening the bottle. Slowly and gently, mate. Just to release the pressure. It's really worth the effort but remember if it doesn't smell right don't use it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

just checking usually specialty malts are only 30 mon.but is carapils ok because is lighter of them all?

I think you are probably right.  Being a light coloured malt does not create issues.  I have read that dark and roasted type malts can less stronger flavours if their time is limited in the mash.  For convenience, I add all my grains for the whole mash.

Similarly, when doing kits and bits, the dark grains are usually steeped cold in the fridge overnight.  Cold steeping is meant to downplay strong flavours.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think you are probably right.  Being a light coloured malt does not create issues.  I have read that dark and roasted type malts can less stronger flavours if their time is limited in the mash.  For convenience, I add all my grains for the whole mash.

Similarly, when doing kits and bits, the dark grains are usually steeped cold in the fridge overnight.  Cold steeping is meant to downplay strong flavours.

Some even toss the darker grains in the last 10 minutes of the mash or as Shamus noted cold steeping to get those colours but reduce the flavours.

I bet that Stella will be nice. Simple always seems to be the nicest brews for me. I did an ale malt and wheat brew, no other malts and the body and flavour was great. Looking forward to a review.

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have yet to try an overnight cold steep definitely on the cards did your recepie suggest a yeast for clone? assuming any Euro one would do but be nice to know what recommended.  I wanted try danish lager yeast like commercial aussie lagers only to find its seasonal release and hard get now.

4 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

I have yet to try an overnight cold steep definitely on the cards did your recepie suggest a yeast for clone? assuming any Euro one would do but be nice to know what recommended.  I wanted try danish lager yeast like commercial aussie lagers only to find its seasonal release and hard get now.

I got the recipe from The Homebrew Challenge YouTube channel.  My notes say he actually used a liquid yeast White Labs WLP830 German Lager Yeast.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I got the recipe from The Homebrew Challenge YouTube channel.  My notes say he actually used a liquid yeast White Labs WLP830 German Lager Yeast.

good to know thinking of investing in some liquid yeast then re using 3 or 4 times to make worth it

• Like 2

03CC8C77-AEDD-49A0-8983-06BBFDD0652A.thumb.png.2ede4417a1cdc1a12829de4332039aba.pngBrew day today all went well making a Neipa same grist as my last one which was a biggie juice clone but subbed simcoe in for my bittering hop instead of Columbus and citra for Amarillo. I also used verdant instead of Kveik. After hearing a lot about verdant it should be interesting. My numbers were spot on although I think hydrometer reads a couple of points low. I await a tropical passion fruit storm. I plan to dry hop with citra, Galaxy and simcoe. 🍻 

67ACD9FD-5973-4567-A931-F4FD69301BB1.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 5

As norris said for a NEIPA I'd be really dialling down the early additions. I'm not really a fan of the fruit juice style but the missus loves it. I plan to do a 9L batch in a couple of months and it will be all 10 mins and under with a heavy hop stand and dry hop. 

Love your choice of yeast. Verdant suits the style well IMO. Im a fan. Kviek makes a good beer but in my opinion it's a case of good for all but great at none when it comes to kviek.

• Like 4

No worries I did like the last one I made with the same 60min addition and so did the wife, she doesn’t like bitter and would definitely tell me if it was. The only difference is the yeast and citra. It was hoppy but wouldn’t say it was fruit juice and IMO was well balanced so see how this one goes. Probably be bitter as f$&k now that I’ve defended it🤣 🍻 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1