Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

was hoping some of you pundits could help with the expected ABV, I keep forgetting the figures for calculating

Hey Phil I can tell you the formula I use, but I need the FG to work it out for you. Do you know what the expected FG is using that yeast?

The formula I use is (OG -FG) x 131.25

For example in your previous post your wheat beer went from 1.047 to 1.012...

(1.047-1.012) x 131.25 = 4.59% ABV

Then add extra ABV if you bottle condition like you do. I’ve heard it adds 0.3% ABV to 0.5% ABV from different people and I don’t know which is correct. I’ve never worried about it too much though, as soon as I can’t walk to the fridge I know it’s time to stop!!🤪

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hey Phil I can tell you the formula I use, but I need the FG to work it out for you. Do you know what the expected FG is using that yeast?

The formula I use is (OG -FG) x 131.25

For example in your previous post your wheat beer went from 1.047 to 1.012...

(1.047-1.012) x 131.25 = 4.59% ABV

Then add extra ABV if you bottle condition like you do. I’ve heard it adds 0.3% ABV to 0.5% ABV from different people and I don’t know which is correct. I’ve never worried about it too much though, as soon as I can’t walk to the fridge I know it’s time to stop!!🤪

Cheers

Well they reckon 1.006 but that is using either 1.2kg LME or 1kg Dextrose - I used both but cut it back to 600gm LME & 500gm Dextrose.

I have found most of my beers lately don't go under 1.012-1.014. So a bit hard to know. It was 23litres.

Thanks for your input, Cheers.

4 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Well they reckon 1.006 but that is using either 1.2kg LME or 1kg Dextrose - I used both but cut it back to 600gm LME & 500gm Dextrose.

I have found most of my beers lately don't go under 1.012-1.014. So a bit hard to know. It was 23litres.

Thanks for your input, Cheers.

Hi Phil, Chucking your ingredients into the IanH spreadsheet gets me 4.6% ABV after priming in the bottles.  The spreadsheet agrees with your measured OG of 1.040 and predicts a FG of 1.008.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Phil, Chucking your ingredients into the IanH spreadsheet gets me 4.6% ABV after priming in the bottles.  The spreadsheet agrees with your measured OG of 1.040 and predicts a FG of 1.008.

Thanks for that Shamus, I appreciate it. The actual recipe said about 4.5% so that is pretty close.  😃

• Like 1

Bulldog Bitter

A simple 20 litre stove-top AG  - an out-of-style hoppy English Bitter.   I've not used any of the usual specialty malts in this (crystal etc) but rather I'm relying on 30% Gladfield Aurora malt for it's supposed bready flavours.  Also, generously hopped with Harlequin and Fuggles and once again fermented with Voss:

• 2kg GF Ale Malt
  • 1kg GF Aurora Malt
  • 0.2kg GF Sour Grapes
  • 10g Pacific Jade @30mins
  • 25g Harlequin @15mins
  • 25g Fuggles @10mins
  • 25g Harlequin @5mins
  • 25g Fuggles @FO
  • 5g Gypsum
  • M12 Voss Kveik   

Mashed at 68-69ºC for a higher than usual FG.  Expected ABV=4%.

👨‍🔬

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Bulldog Bitter

A simple 20 litre stove-top AG  - an out-of-style hoppy English Bitter.   I've not used any of the usual specialty malts in this (crystal etc) but rather I'm relying on 30% Gladfield Aurora malt for it's supposed bready flavours.  Also, generously hopped with Harlequin and Fuggles and once again fermented with Voss:

• 2kg GF Ale Malt

That sounds pretty awesome @BlackSands  way more up-market that the one I am doing, however I do like Bitter especially hoppy ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Bulldog Bitter

• 2kg GF Ale Malt
  • 1kg GF Aurora Malt
  • 0.2kg GF Sour Grapes
  • 10g Pacific Jade @30mins
  • 25g Harlequin @15mins
  • 25g Fuggles @10mins
  • 25g Harlequin @5mins
  • 25g Fuggles @FO
  • 5g Gypsum
  • M12 Voss Kveik   

Mashed at 68-69ºC for a higher than usual FG.  Expected ABV=4%.

👨‍🔬

Awesome work BS.  Looks like a nice easy drinking bitter. 
I’ll be interested to hear how the voss performs, I imagine it won’t throw any of those English yeast esters, but will it leave behind some malt flavour for you....time will tell. 

Are you still running? It’s so cold here I’m finding it hard to get the motivation to run atm. You’re probably made of sterner stuff I’d suggest 😉

Cheers TB

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Are you still running? It’s so cold here I’m finding it hard to get the motivation to run atm. You’re probably made of sterner stuff I’d suggest 😉

The weather is pretty bleak here much of the time so I have to pick my days, but yeah - while less motivated I'm still getting out and pounding the pavement (and a few bush tracks) when I can - usually run for an hour, give or take.  For the rainy days (of which there are many!) I have a spin bike conveniently parked in front of a TV!  🤓

• Like 1

Brew day yesterday saw me brew the final of my entrants for the GC home brew comp. entering an NEIPA. All ya usual players. Pils, wheat, oats, bit of Munich this time round. 

eldorado, Idaho7 and galaxy hopped to the eye balls. Kviek absolutely going full burko at 27 degrees 6hrs after pitching.

• Like 3

Recipe: BRU-1 Saison
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
0.50 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          12.5 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          12.5 %        0.33 L        
50.00 g          BRU-1 [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           4          25.0 IBUs     -             

Farmhouse Yeast - a re pitch
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 3

Brew day was on Monday Batch # 50 AG Batch #9, another AG version of my fav Pacific Summer Ale with more tweaks.  Always have a keg of this to sip on and stock is real low.  Trouble is I am starting to tweak too much at once and fear I might loose the plot on what might be making it worse or making it better.  Still cannot nail the mash PH even though I used 8.8 ml of 88% strength lactic acid in this batch as recommended by BeerSmith so will have to work on this as it came in at 5.9.  I completely dropped the usual Acidulated malt out this time so maybe will have to use a bit of both next time.

Unsure how long it actually took me as both mash and mash out was longer than planned due to interruptions and I did a boil of 90" this time as was using a high percentage of Pilsner Malt. 

It was going to be a double batch brew day with the first attempt at a Toohey's Old to follow but my wife had come down with a wipe out dose of the flu so I was rushed off my feet with the normal nursing duties that comes with that territory.  So the Toohey's Old had to wait but will do it tomorrow morning all things being equal.

• Like 4

Recipe: Pineapple, Passionfruit and Grapefruit
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 79.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          70.0 %        2.28 L        
0.75 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          15.0 %        0.49 L        
0.75 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          15.0 %        0.49 L        
25.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          24.7 IBUs     -             
60.00 g          Cascade [6.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           5          5.8 IBUs      -             
50.00 g          BRU-1 [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           6          23.0 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           7          25.8 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Hophead Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M66)         Yeast         8          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Green Blob said:

The Hophead Yeast gives a lot to the brew. I am using it in a blonde ale and the 30g flameout addition is smelling really nice, I am guessing from the yeast and it's special enzymes? Who knows but it kicked off in about 10 hours and went nuts for 3 days, good yeast

• Like 2

SFA.

Melbourne storm sunk my brew day.  An Antarctic cyclone hit here in the outer east suburbs at about 1 am, trees and power lines down everywhere.  We had lost power since 2 am and looks like will not get back on until next week.  Running my main fridges on the Honda generator from the caravan and could have done the mash and boil on gas but a part of my fence was blown over onto the footpath and of course had a big mess of branches to clean up.  So have put brewing on hold for a day or so.

@Shamus O'Sean hey brother how did you get on up there in the ranges?  Hope you and yours are all ok mate.  It was pretty bad out our way hey!

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2

15 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

SFA.

Melbourne storm sunk my brew day.  An Antarctic cyclone hit here in the outer east suburbs at about 1 am, trees and power lines down everywhere.  We had lost power since 2 am and looks like will not get back on until next week.  Running my main fridges on the Honda generator from the caravan and could have done the mash and boil on gas but a part of my fence was blown over onto the footpath and of course had a big mess of branches to clean up.  So have put brewing on hold for a day or so.

@Shamus O'Sean hey brother how did you get on up there in the ranges?  Hope you and yours are all ok mate.  It was pretty bad out our way hey!

Cheers - AL

Hey Al, all the best, hope things sort itself for you, keep warm & safe. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

SFA.

Cheers - AL

7 hours ago, Tone boy said:

All the best @iBooz2 booza. I know how you feel. Our power went off last night and they reckon it’ll be back on in 3 days. Luckily I didn’t have a brew planned like you. Good luck with the repairs 👍

Good luck all of you fellas 🍀

The worst we get here is avalanches, obviously only in the mountains 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

SFA.

Cheers - AL

Hey AL,

We did not personally get smashed, but no power since late Wednesday night (about a day and a half).  12 C inside this morning.  All devices under 20% power.  Not expected back on til Sunday.  Brewday was planned for Saturday, now on hold. This 5uck5.  I'm off to get a generator. 

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yep. Lots across metro Melbourne and regional areas in the same boat. But I no complain.

Went several days without power post Cyclone Larry waaaaaaay back when so I feel you

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

12 C inside this morning. 

Maybe a chance to put down a lager?

Sorry Shamus, couldn’t resist. Our power came back on at 1 am so hopefully yours does soon too. Not much fun being cold. 
Good luck with getting the jenny 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2