Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

This is going in clear and with a nice copper colour. Just have the kettle to clean and I am done. Good brew day, went over by a point but it looks and smells good.

Don't Worry, I wiped off the mouth. 20210619_182350.jpg

I always fail when transferring, add whirlpool, give it a good whirlpool, let it cool (~80%). Then I still get a decent amount of trub into the cube/fermentor. But it doesn't effect the final beer so not overly stressed.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Marksmans Gift said:

I always fail when transferring, add whirlpool, give it a good whirlpool, let it cool (~80%). Then I still get a decent amount of trub into the cube/fermentor. But it doesn't effect the final beer so not overly stressed.

Some say it helps with fermentation. I dont think it is a huge issue either but helps to keep it to a minimum if harvesting yeast, in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

I depends on the recipe and what I am trying to get but for this one it is a cube hop at 80c, so when it drops to 80c I put the wort in the cube on top of the hops.  I find this maximises the aroma and flavours, I generally ferment it within a day maybe 2 days.

I do some whirlpool additions but I show them as 5 minutes when I no chill. I will add those if I want a firmer bitterness and in place of recipes with 30 min additions and down as it is hard to get the bitterness right no chilling I generally skip those.hope that helps

Cheers, mate. Definitely helps to hear how others go about things. 

I hope the beer is a cracker. 

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.0831884623bb9fba3048a917effc8b33.png

Bit of a late start but the Stouty Boy Mash is underway finally and look forward to getting the hop boil done and open up the Brewery to  the cold and chill it down overnight... 

Got freshly milled Voyager Atlas - Voyager Vienna - UK Maris - Voyager Winter Wheat and then Choc - Carafa III - Roasted for the Dark Malt additions...  

Have a good weekend Brewers ; )

• Like 8

A partial-mash went down today: BR NZ Company Bitter cans were on sale so I grabbed one and paired it up 2kg GF grains and 100g low alpha Wai-iti hops:

• 1.7kg BR NZ Company Bitter Can
  • 1.8kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 50g Wai-iti Hops @5mins
  • 50g Wai-iti Hops Steep
  • Kveik Voss (M12)

I've sampled this can once some years ago and I recall it was quite malty  -  a lot of crystals used in the recipe I reckon.  Hopefully the generous dose of Wai-iti I've thrown in will complement it nicely.  🤔  

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 7

Strike while the Iron is Hot or here keep going while the SS Vessel is empty and clean ; ) 

An IPA of sorts... maybe a NEIPA if I can get the hoppage right... in the meantime the Mash is made up of Voyager Compass Pale Malt, Maris Otter (UK),  Voyager Vienna, Voyager Munich, and Voyager Wheat... bit of a late start but was mucking around with kegs earlier which took longer than expected ; )  Cheers Brewers!

image.thumb.png.4352c2dd2646fc9771fca29640b62b16.png

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Strike while the Iron is Hot or here keep going while the SS Vessel is empty and clean ; ) 

An IPA of sorts... maybe a NEIPA if I can get the hoppage right... in the meantime the Mash is made up of Voyager Compass Pale Malt, Maris Otter (UK),  Voyager Vienna, Voyager Munich, and Voyager Wheat... bit of a late start but was mucking around with kegs earlier which took longer than expected ; )  Cheers Brewers!

image.thumb.png.4352c2dd2646fc9771fca29640b62b16.png

Good luck Graubart. Get stuck in 👍

• Haha 1

Recipe: (Not) German Ale
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Kölsch
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 8.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          44.4 %        1.30 L        
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          33.3 %        0.98 L        
1.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         3          22.2 %        0.65 L        
30.00 g          Cryo - Citra [25.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 m Hop           4          24.0 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 ml]       Yeast         5          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG the citra cryo is NUTS

• Like 3

Kölsch

Yummmy

Hope it all goes well Blobski ; ) @Green Blob

Sounds pretty laaaarvely to me.... 

Now - Qn for you - for my knowledge of Kölle Yeasty behaviour --> your ambient temp that Mr and Mrs Wy#1007 will be chomping the Fermentables for this one? 🤔

19 hours ago, Graubart said:

Now - Qn for you - for my knowledge of Kölle Yeasty behaviour --> your ambient temp that Mr and Mrs Wy#1007 will be chomping the Fermentables for this one? 🤔

Ummm

looks outside... overcast, but t-shirt weather. Cold in the morning.
20°c??

• Like 2

Recipe: Baltic Porter

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 54.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 45.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          32.5 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          32.5 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          16.3 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC)            Grain         4          8.1 %         0.33 L        
0.40 kg          Gladfield Black Forest Rye (88.0 EBC)            Grain         5          6.5 %         0.26 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         6          4.1 %         0.16 L        
50.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           7          45.6 IBUs     -             
Wyeast California Lager repitch
-------------------------------

• Like 5

Recipe: Rice Munich IPA Thing
Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 12.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 70.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
2.50 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         1          36.8 %        1.63 L        
2.20 kg          Rice, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         2          32.4 %        1.43 L        
1.10 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          16.2 %        0.72 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         4          14.7 %        0.65 L        
20.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min       Hop           5          21.5 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           6          20.6 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           7          19.2 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           8          9.1 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Hophead Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M66)         Yeast         9          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

I have run out of base malt with an order in for a bulk buy and I wanted to make a beer.

Flaked Rice - has that been malted @Green Blob or do you hafta cook it first before mashing?

Necessity is the mother of invention.... festive new beer style emerging?

Edited by Graubart

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

Flaked Rice

Was Jasmine Rice, I only added the Flaked thing cos that is all that was in beersmiff.
Flaked is gelatinised so doesn't need cooking.

Jasmine needed cooking - then cereal mash , added some malted barely then dumped in the mash with the rest

• Like 2

First brew day since October or November or whenever the hell it was coming up on Sunday, an old favourite to get back into it, Czech pilsner. Going to get some bits and pieces I need on Saturday for it and beyond. 

Been a bit busy until now with the refinance and shit, no dramas or anything with it, just a drawn out process. Also was waiting for it to be done to free up some money to buy this stuff, so definitely looking forward to it. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

First brew day since October or November or whenever the hell it was coming up on Sunday, an old favourite to get back into it, Czech pilsner. Going to get some bits and pieces I need on Saturday for it and beyond. 

Been a bit busy until now with the refinance and shit, no dramas or anything with it, just a drawn out process. Also was waiting for it to be done to free up some money to buy this stuff, so definitely looking forward to it. 

Good to see you Mr Blotto, I like Czech Pilsner also but I am currently restricted to the Extracts, there are some really nice recipes available particularly Mangrove Jacks range.

Cheers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Good to see you back in business. 

I hope you had enough stock to last since the last brew day and didn't stray from the path and buy Great Northern 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Good to see you back in business. 

I hope you had enough stock to last since the last brew day and didn't stray from the path and buy Great Northern 🙂 

Nowhere near enough stock to last that long but avoided that type of crap at least 😅

33 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Otto Von Blotto give an adress to send a money order or bank account well make sure u got funds to put more brews on.

It's all good now, going forward funds won't be a problem, I just wasn't sure what I'd need to pay or if I would with the refinance stuff, so I was pretty much not spending anything other than essential stuff. Now things are sorted it's fine. I have a credit card if need be as well. 

• Like 4