Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

On 6/7/2021 at 11:22 AM, BlackSands said:

I have a spin bike conveniently parked in front of a TV!  🤓

I have a spin bike conveniently parked BEHIND a TV, covered with a sheet in the garage with all types of junk piled upon it.
I'm going to use it one day....HONEST! I WILL! 😆

• Haha 4

Has anybody that made last month's ROTM AUS IPA actually tried any yet, mine has been in the FV since the 30th May, probably bottling over the weekend. 

I was just curious to hear any comments on how close the taste is to the commercial version.

Different brews I have done, in particular Pale Ale & Stout seem to be the closest for me, some of my visitors say they cannot tell the difference, so that is a start.

Cheers.

Just now, CLASSIC said:

Doesn't sound convincing enough to suggest you are about to dust it off & take it for a spin @MUZZY  🚲

Probably not. I think I have an exercise allergy. Every time I try it I get short of breath, I sweat and my skin turns red. It obviously doesn't agree with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Probably not. I think I have an exercise allergy. Every time I try it I get short of breath, I sweat and my skin turns red. It obviously doesn't agree with me.

Now we all know that is caused by lack of exercise Muzzy but I realise the need to produce fine beer would take priority so not much point in overdoing it. 🥵

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey AL,

We did not personally get smashed, but no power since late Wednesday night (about a day and a half). 

Good to hear no damage Shamus, was a bit worried about you being up among the tall sticks of mountain ash.  Yep no power here either until late Sunday they reckon.  I am not complaining as there are a lot worse off than us, no houses etc.

Quite comical in our household, the gas heating system is all electronic and will not ignite if no power (no manual way around it) so my wife, who usually has it set to "Bali temperatures" is freezing her its off and also cannot live without her bloody hair drier.   She cracks me up!🤣

I still might tempt fate and try a brew day just on gas and hook up the inky to the generator just so I can quickly monitor the mash temp.  My 2KVA generator would not be able to handle the household fridge, freezer and FV fridges/heat-belts and the element in the 70 L nano so gas only it will have to be.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey AL,

We did not personally get smashed, but no power since late Wednesday night (about a day and a half).  12 C inside this morning.  All devices under 20% power.  Not expected back on til Sunday.  Brewday was planned for Saturday, now on hold. This 5uck5.  I'm off to get a generator. 

We had no power for three days over the June long weekend (NSW) probably about 2007 or so.
I always remember that I'd been shopping the day before. You know when the supermarket has really cheap meat for a "quick sale".
Well I'd bought a fair bit of meat. Had the BBQ going for three nights cooking it plus veggies.
Had the neighbours around. And one night I spotted an SES member on his way home from cleaning up from the storm.
Dragged him off the street for a feed too.

Then again in 2015 no power for three days.

Yes it sucks.

Good Luck!

Oh, and I've got a SMOTY on the go.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Has anybody that made last month's ROTM AUS IPA actually tried any yet, mine has been in the FV since the 30th May, probably bottling over the weekend. 

I was just curious to hear any comments on how close the taste is to the commercial version.

Different brews I have done, in particular Pale Ale & Stout seem to be the closest for me, some of my visitors say they cannot tell the difference, so that is a start.

Cheers.

Reading after 11 days, I think this one will finish a little higher than I expected, when the froth dies down a bit I will get a better look.

The hop aromas are outstanding & it has a nice colour, I followed this recipe exactly so looking forward to trying it.

20210611_113442.jpg

20210611_113533.jpg

• Like 5

Ok Euro lager with filtered water plus 150 gram carapils steep 1.5kg Light Liquid Malt 250 gram LDM. 

10 each sazz/Hallertau 15 min boil

same again 5 min boil in hob balls so didn't need strain.

20 litres OG 1.054

3 packs r3556 from 86 days pils 21g pitched at 21 degrees bringing back to 17 for few hours then drop again to 15 and 12 before bed tonight thanks to @Graubart past advice.

20210611_113400.jpg

20210611_115216.jpg

20210611_121511.jpg

20210611_122244.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Sorry for all you fellas out of leccy.... but I know what I'll be up to this weekend

IMG_1013.jpg

What's the Gold  English Bitter to the right?

And what brand are the cans next to the Muntons at the bottom?

I'm drinking a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter at the moment.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 10:46 AM, RDT2 said:

my batch size was 25 litres for my cube

25L of water and how many kg of malted grain... if you don't mind advising... am keen to learn what sort of balance between water and grain people generally use... obviously it depends entirely on the ABV etc but just am sorta trying to learn more about the grain to strike water ratio to see if I can improve my practices ; )

And Wow it looked truly beautiful - should be a cracker!!!

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 1:44 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Carbonation is a bit lacking, which is surprising given how much sugar I primed the keg with. 

How warm was it SOS - my half a cup of sugar or whatever @PB2 said worked a treat... but it was always in warm times ; )

7 minutes ago, Graculus said:

What's the Gold  English Bitter to the right?

And what brand are the cans next to the Muntons at the bottom?

I'm drinking a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter at the moment.

The Gold is a Munton's kit - with the brew can and another tin of malt in the box. It works out quite good, no particular need to tweak anything with it but you could add some etra hops I suppose.

The ones at the bottom are BrewFerm: a Belgian brand. They do a load of different ones but I only like the dubble - it makes a beauty of a Chimay-blue style strong beer. They are only for 9 litres though, so a bit pricey.

You happy with the Munton's bitter ? I find them not bad but I like starting with Coopers Pale Ale as a fairly neutral base.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2021 at 3:47 PM, CLASSIC said:

KEYBOARD MALFUNTION .... I finally got to do my ROTM Australian IPA this afternoon, it took a lot longer than normal brew day due to the steeping, boiling etc but happy with the way it went, just have to wait a see if it is as good as or better than the commercial version. Finally it has been put to bed, I managed to achieve 18 degrees exactly as per recipe & had a frothy bitter in the process. 

Cheers.

20210530_133031.jpg

20210530_135637.jpg

20210530_133704.jpg

20210530_152633.jpg

Graubster I had a hat for this one to compete with Beeres Yelsen, but forgot to post the photo, maybe next time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2021 at 3:18 PM, Green Blob said:

Noble type, so... hoppy? Old school

Me too @Norris! - sorta Pommy Bitter-ish type Hop probs down the EKG pathway... but do not claim to be expert by any means... but seems to be good honest hop for Pom Ambers...  think also for some Stouts is ok... worth having a sniff at some stage mate I suspect 😝

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stquinto said:

The Gold is a Munton's kit - with the brew can and another tin of malt in the box. It works out quite good, no particular need to tweak anything with it but you could add some etra hops I suppose.

The ones at the bottom are BrewFerm: a Belgian brand. They do a load of different ones but I only like the dubble - it makes a beauty of a Chimay-blue style strong beer. They are only for 9 litres though, so a bit pricey.

You happy with the Munton's bitter ? I find them not bad but I like starting with Coopers Pale Ale as a fairly neutral base.

That's interesting as in OZ the Craft Cans are 1.3kg ( Mr Beer ) yours are marked 1.5kg & Coopers are 1.7kg so you would have to be spot on with your measurements I guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graubart said:

How warm was it SOS - my half a cup of sugar or whatever @PB2 said worked a treat... but it was always in warm times ; )

Room temperature.  Around 20°C during the day.  No less than about 16°C at night.  It was only 2 weeks old, so maybe the night time temperature inhibited things a bit.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Room temperature.  Around 20°C during the day.  No less than about 16°C at night.  It was only 2 weeks old, so maybe the night time temperature inhibited things a bit.

had same problem when bottling in the inbetween season not consistent temp 

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yep. Lots across metro Melbourne and regional areas in the same boat. But I no complain.

Managed to get a geni this morning.  I bought a baby one. 1800W operation 2200W max load. Won’t run kettle. Certainly won’t run ducted heating. Got a convection heater going, little TV,  laptop and various devices charging.  Could run fridge but have to turn off heater.

Neck minet - Power back on around 3pm on Friday.  SP Ausnet, you guys are gods.  Sorry to everybody else who are still without power.  Saturday brew day is back on.  Woop!  Woop!

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Managed to get a geni this morning.  I bought a baby one. 1800W operation 2200W max load. Won’t run kettle. Certainly won’t run ducted heating. Got a convection heater going, little TV,  laptop and various devices charging.  Could run fridge but have to turn off heater.

Neck minet - Power back on around 3pm on Friday.  SP Ausnet, you guys are gods.  Sorry to everybody else who are still without power.  Saturday brew day is back on.  Woop!  Woop!

mate I don't watch news Melbourne have lot outages? 

13 hours ago, stquinto said:

Yes I'm enjoying the Muntons. Smooth. Very easy to drink. In fact I thought I'd have one before dinner last night. Ended up being 2.
I haven't made a Coopers English Bitter for a while so I couldn't say which is better.

I've heard of the Brewferm ones, but never made them.

I think those kits in a box might be available in a HBS I drive by occasionally.
Pretty sure I saw St Peters Cream Stout in there one day.
I'm tempted to try one, but the cost puts me off.
That's where I picked up the Muntons.
Strangely KegLand claim to be the sole distributor of Muntons in Australia. Yet it's sold in that HBS & it's on Dan Murphy's site too.

15 minutes ago, Graculus said:

Yes I'm enjoying the Muntons. Smooth. Very easy to drink. In fact I thought I'd have one before dinner last night. Ended up being 2.
I haven't made a Coopers English Bitter for a while so I couldn't say which is better.

I've heard of the Brewferm ones, but never made them.

I think those kits in a box might be available in a HBS I drive by occasionally.
Pretty sure I saw St Peters Cream Stout in there one day.
I'm tempted to try one, but the cost puts me off.
That's where I picked up the Muntons.
Strangely KegLand claim to be the sole distributor of Muntons in Australia. Yet it's sold in that HBS & it's on Dan Murphy's site too.

I have had Munton's products a few times, the Yorkshire Bitter & Session IPA are really good beers, they have a fairly big range but don't see a lot of here in SA.

• Like 1