Jump to content
Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021


Hairy

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Nowhere near enough stock to last that long but avoided that type of crap at least 😅

 

It's all good now, going forward funds won't be a problem, I just wasn't sure what I'd need to pay or if I would with the refinance stuff, so I was pretty much not spending anything other than essential stuff. Now things are sorted it's fine. I have a credit card if need be as well. 

Beer isn't essential? yes I guess your right if not worried about sanity lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

Beer isn't essential? yes I guess your right if not worried about sanity lol

I still got beer but it's around $300 to buy all the stuff I need to get going again, and I couldn't be arsed making multiple two hour round trips to buy stuff gradually 😅

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I still got beer but it's around $300 to buy all the stuff I need to get going again.

You could join me in the gutter over here mate, $31 and change, just waiting for 20C to pitch:

Scrooge Stout:

1 Can of Coopers Stout

2 Cans of Woolies Lager

3 Kit Yeasts

27L: OG 1058, FG 1015, 60.1 IBU, 86.0 EBC, 6.2%A/V.

What could possibly go wrong!!! Krausen explosion not withstanding.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I still got beer but it's around $300 to buy all the stuff I need to get going again, and I couldn't be arsed making multiple two hour round trips to buy stuff gradually 😅

got rid of some of your gear? I've done that more than 3 times over I know the pain.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

so definitely looking forward to it. 

So great to see you back Otto Man!!!

Looking forward to your brew results and a few more of your always helpful posts... nice work and great to see you back in The Game Kelsey!!! 🙂

I was just describing the slow progressive temp decline-yeast-cleanup w Lagers/Pils and thought of you mate as you taught me that (thanks) great stuff.

Cheers for now 👍👍

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

got rid of some of your gear? I've done that more than 3 times over I know the pain.

Nah, just needed a sack of ale malt and a few kg of spec malts I'd run out of, big bag of perc, replacing the yeasts, some hops for the pilsner, couple of packs of brewbrite, pack of polyclar and some new hosing for transfers. Still need to find some isinglass but that can wait for now. Didn't get rid of any equipment because I was always gonna brew again. 

I also want to replace some keg connections, and after the next batch I'll do a bulk order of hops to last a number of batches as well. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Was Jasmine Rice, I only added the Flaked thing cos that is all that was in beersmiff.
Flaked is gelatinised so doesn't need cooking.

Jasmine needed cooking - then cereal mash , added some malted barely then dumped in the mash with the rest

So yer reckon if I wanna make a festive thin bodied Vietkong Rice Beer and getting malted rice is a huge PITA - that I should just get a few kilos of Jazz and cook them up as per edible human rice cooker type thing.. and then throw that into the mash for 60 at 64 degC @Green Blob Blobski?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I still got beer but it's around $300 to buy all the stuff I need to get going again, and I couldn't be arsed making multiple two hour round trips to buy stuff gradually 😅

Welcome back, I made your Pilsner recipe recently  again but used MT Hood hops instead of Saaz, bloody beautiful didn’t feel the same making a Pilsner without you on the forum 😔 all the best going forward 🍻 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Otto Von Blotto so you obviously like your pilsners a bit like myself but you use ale malt for them or just part of malt bill? I'm still doing extract but really like coopers range of lagers and pilsner tweaked with extra malt hops and dubbya.

I use pilsner malt which I have plenty of, but I obviously use ale malt for ales, and I just wanted to buy everything I needed in one hit so it's all ready to go. There is a brew shop close by but they're more expensive than the ones further away. Just more efficient making one trip for the goods than 5 or 6 trips. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I use pilsner malt which I have plenty of, but I obviously use ale malt for ales, and I just wanted to buy everything I needed in one hit so it's all ready to go. There is a brew shop close by but they're more expensive than the ones further away. Just more efficient making one trip for the goods than 5 or 6 trips. 

ok I thought all u made was pilsner good to mix it up I have to admit I love a good pilsner as much as a good pale ale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Graubart said:

So yer reckon 

Jasmine rice is probably not the best choice due to it's aroma, but it is what I had.
Cereal mash suggests to cook the cereal (be it rice, polenta) then get it to mash temps nd add some enzyme containing grain to the cereal.
THEN add that to the mash.
That is what I did and have done before with the corn 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

ok I thought all u made was pilsner good to mix it up I have to admit I love a good pilsner as much as a good pale ale.

Nah haha, I don't make a big variety of styles because I just make what I enjoy drinking most but in addition to pilsners I do pale ales, the odd IPA, English ales sometimes, and usually a stout or porter for the colder months. I also make a red ale that's kind of a hybrid using English yeast with American hops. After this pilsner I still have enough hops to do a pale ale next, but then I'll need to order more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

First brew day since October or November or whenever the hell it was coming up on Sunday, an old favourite to get back into it, Czech pilsner. Going to get some bits and pieces I need on Saturday for it and beyond. 

Been a bit busy until now with the refinance and shit, no dramas or anything with it, just a drawn out process. Also was waiting for it to be done to free up some money to buy this stuff, so definitely looking forward to it. 

You using the usual recipe with a bit of black malt in it?  I made your recipe a few months ago and started drinking last week.  First beer out of the keg and it was WTF it's oxidised then I remembered it is a tad darker because of the black malt.  Did my head in for a sec. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

You using the usual recipe with a bit of black malt in it?  I made your recipe a few months ago and started drinking last week.  First beer out of the keg and it was WTF it's oxidised then I remembered it is a tad darker because of the black malt.  Did my head in for a sec. 

I will be yeah. It usually comes out a nice golden colour like urquell 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not Quite English Bitter

Coops EB Tin 1.7kg

Coops Light Liquid Malt 1.5kg 

LDM 250 gram

20 gram galaxy 15 boil hop tea 600 ml

20 gram EKG 5 boil 5 steep lid on

OG 1.054

2 jars US 05 slurry pitched 21 degrees Fridge on 18 will come down to that.

couldn't see point leaving good slurry in fridge only 2 weeks old and open packet Nottingham.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Jasmine rice is probably not the best choice due to it's aroma, but it is what I had.
Cereal mash suggests to cook the cereal (be it rice, polenta) then get it to mash temps nd add some enzyme containing grain to the cereal.
THEN add that to the mash.
That is what I did and have done before with the corn 

Yeah don't know about the jasmine rice. This works a treat. $1.40. Can't beat that.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/35007?googleshop=true&store_code=woolworths_supermarkets_1368&cq_src=GOOGLE&cq_cmp=Woolies_8458_BAU_Shopping_LIA_F%26B Everything Else_WW-0001&cq_con=Food %26 Beverages&cq_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&cq_net=g&cq_plt=gp&cq_med=71700000072477841&cq_gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy4n_wZay8QIVUw4rCh24Hwb-EAQYBCABEgJOz_D_BwE&cmpid=smsm:ds:GOOGLE:Woolies_8458_BAU_Shopping_LIA_F%26B Everything Else_WW-0001:PRODUCT_GROUP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy4n_wZay8QIVUw4rCh24Hwb-EAQYBCABEgJOz_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2021 at 3:37 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

First brew day since October or November or whenever the hell it was coming up on Sunday, an old favourite to get back into it, Czech pilsner. Going to get some bits and pieces I need on Saturday for it and beyond. 

Been a bit busy until now with the refinance and shit, no dramas or anything with it, just a drawn out process. Also was waiting for it to be done to free up some money to buy this stuff, so definitely looking forward to it. 

Welcome back bloke!  Hopefully all the tacking into the choppy waves and headwinds are over and you can now throw up the spinnaker and it becomes all smooth sailing for you from now on.

Look forward to seeing what you brew.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Graubart said:

So Greeny do you cook it e.g. rice cooker of pot -- before you throw it into the Mash with some malted grain?

I basically do this below. I don't mill the rice though. Found it made no difference. Also I don't cook it to a goo. When its cooked through I add to the main mash. When I did use corn I bought this from my local produce store. It worked a treat as well.

https://www.petandgarden.com.au/poultry-scratch-mix/9-cracked-corn-avigrain-milford-produce.html

It's a little more stuffing around but for 1.40 a kilo I think worth it

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Welcome back bloke!  Hopefully all the tacking into the choppy waves and headwinds are over and you can now throw up the spinnaker and it becomes all smooth sailing for you from now on.

Look forward to seeing what you brew.

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm going a lot better now than I was then. Half the reason I stopped brewing was because for a while I didn't enjoy sitting around by myself for long periods, so it wasn't fun. I did do one not long after the breakup I think but yeah, didn't enjoy it much. 

Now that more time has passed I'm looking forward to getting back into it again on Sunday. Tomorrow in addition to getting the stuff I need I'll also do some minor cleaning up of the urn and other bits and pieces to have it all ready to go Sunday morning. 

I still talk to my ex sometimes, we get along well and as much as it hurt me I am glad there's no animosity or whatever between us. 

I'll have to make sure the computer still works so I can do up the recipe in beersmith tomorrow 🤣

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I basically do this below. I don't mill the rice though. Found it made no difference. Also I don't cook it to a goo. When its cooked through I add to the main mash. When I did use corn I bought this from my local produce store. It worked a treat as well.

https://www.petandgarden.com.au/poultry-scratch-mix/9-cracked-corn-avigrain-milford-produce.html

It's a little more stuffing around but for 1.40 a kilo I think worth it

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

This certainly sounds like it is worth doing at least once.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...