Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

17 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Still drinking my AG Lemon Drop XPA 

Has cleared nicely, nice drop. 
Watching the poms get smashed again 😂😂

3536DA65-67F2-44BC-84BC-38A16C818A80.jpeg

looks lke ya watching a glass of lemon drop Xpa not the poms getting hammered by starc

To be honest i think thats way way to clear for an xpa but thats just my thoughts but looks good

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I tried the last ROTM - Citrus Crush Kolsch. It is not a bad tasting beer at all but it will not hold a head. Possibly due to the orange zest addition, I don't know. I tried force carbonating it, then I tried slow carbonating it and it will still not play the game!

1787e.jpg

• Like 4

Now, if I described this as a Pale Lager, you folks would probably think it was a tasty, legendary beer.  In fact, it is the Corona clone I did for my brother a few weeks ago.  Therefore, you can throw as much distain on it as you wish.  However, it has turned out a nice brew.

The aroma has spice notes along with floral aromas.  Mild bitterness.  Bit of a lawnmower beer.  Easy to drink.  It has a lingering malty  aftertaste.

IMG_2770.JPG.beaa299a7e12fad37a3d1c4313ccf104.JPG

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Now, if I described this as a Pale Lager, you folks would probably think it was a tasty, legendary beer.  In fact, it is the Corona clone I did for my brother a few weeks ago.  Therefore, you can throw as much distain on it as you wish.  However, it has turned out a nice brew.

The aroma has spice notes along with floral aromas.  Mild bitterness.  Bit of a lawnmower beer.  Easy to drink.  It has a lingering malty  aftertaste.

IMG_2770.JPG.beaa299a7e12fad37a3d1c4313ccf104.JPG

Looks the part and sounds even better SOS cheers !

• Like 2

Berry soure, was supposed to be cherries but there weren't any so I bought 1 kg of the dark berry mix.
BEAUTIFUL beer, just what I was after. Tart clean crisp and berry. around 6.5% which is the prefect lawnmower beer. 

REALLY bloody easy drinking.

PXL_20211228_070022388.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e59655668aaae10dd4d5c3fd8146664e.jpg

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

Looks great apart from the boring chico yeast.
Was the recipe crystal heavy like the clones I have seen?

430g Medium Crystal Malt 

The recipe from Brewfather called for White Labs WLP001, which my LHBS hasn’t even heard of 🙄🙄

So I was pushed for time so went for US-05, in the process of putting an order on for some more yeast varieties as running a bit low. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

430g Medium Crystal Malt 

Yep, did not like that when I made it.

3 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

The recipe from Brewfather called for White Labs WLP001

Very possibly the same as

3 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

US-05

• Like 2

first ever Brew A IPA tin I have used and also first time centennial hops.  This was cold crashed 5 or 6 days after hit 1 degree. The fermentables were 1.5 kg tin LLME and 300 grams LDM. Same opinion as @PintsAtMeLocal for coopers most bitter tin I find it a little sweet. Not to the point where I don't like it but must have crystal malt in tin. 

Next time I'll do a 20 min hop boil plus late hop for flavour try to balance it for my taste. This was only a hop tea in plain water on day 4 or 5. 40 grams centennial 10 steep 90 degree water to.add flavour but test bitter feel of tin.

You were right pints it does need that extra kick of bitterness. I chilled this one too much poured crap head although it is lasting. Only 17 days in bottle hope others make more fizz than this once opened.

20211228_192117.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

first ever Brew A IPA tin I have used and also first time centennial hops.  This was cold crashed 5 or 6 days after hit 1 degree. The fermentables were 1.5 kg tin LLME and 300 grams LDM. Same opinion as @PintsAtMeLocal for coopers most bitter tin I find it a little sweet. Not to the point where I don't like it but must have crystal malt in tin. 

Next time I'll do a 20 min hop boil plus late hop for flavour try to balance it for my taste. This was only a hop tea in plain water on day 4 or 5. 40 grams centennial 10 steep 90 degree water to.add flavour but test bitter feel of tin.

You were right pints it does need that extra kick of bitterness. I chilled this one too much poured crap head although it is lasting. Only 17 days in bottle hope others make more fizz than this once opened.

20211228_192117.jpg

Looks a treat jamo, yes I did expect a bigger bitter kick. All good tho lovely tin either way. Maybe small hop boil could be what's needed for our tastes yeah. My current one is about 25 days old now and just tastes great

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Looks a treat jamo, yes I did expect a bigger bitter kick. All good tho lovely tin either way. Maybe small hop boil could be what's needed for our tastes yeah. My current one is about 25 days old now and just tastes great

yes age Is better I'm going to keep having a few here and there until i get to a point I think it's reached its peak. Or getting to sweet then ill put whole lot in fridge. How many batches of it have you done now?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

yes age Is better I'm going to keep having a few here and there until i get to a point I think it's reached its peak. Or getting to sweet then ill put whole lot in fridge. How many batches of it have you done now?

This is my 2nd IPA tin and 3rd was bottled yesterday 👍 haven't done a boil yet just different yeast and hop varieties dry hop. I want to try mosaic for the next batch, maybe I should put a small boil on? 

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal
  • Like 1

@jamiek86 and @PintsAtMeLocal, I've done the Brew A IPA a couple of times and the Bootmaker Pale Ale more than a few times.  Both are really sweet to my tastes too.  They would almost definitely have Crystal Malt in them.  That is most likely where they get the amber colour from.

The last time I used the Brew A IPA was in Coopers' The Voyage: American Pale Ale.  However, I did a 20 minute boil of 27g of Topaz hops for an extra 6 IBU's.  That brew had the toffee aroma of the Brew A, but the extra bitterness from the boil balanced it out very nicely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean thanks for that feedback I will definitely do a boil of some sort of hops next time. It will also be a partial mash the next time so that little bit of extra freshness. 

@PintsAtMeLocal I must have got the Brew A confused with something else you brewed with a 30 min boil for extra bitterness.

Maybe the pale ale can or the draft can. Always do a boil with those 

• Like 2