Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

I love my stouts, even when it is hot

Gotta agree.  I can drink a well made stout any time.

Glad yours turned out well (was there ever any doubt).  I remember your brew day notes and was interested to hear how the PoR went.  The Saison yeast would give it a different twist too.

• Like 2

Sampled my first brew yesterday at 17 days in the bottle since taking up brewing again.
It was a rush effort to get something on and going ASAP while the weather was still cool here as I was still shopping for a brew fridge at the time.
It was a simple Coopers Canadian blonde kit, a pack of brew enhancer 3 and the kit yeast that was rehydrated.

I managed to keep it below 20C for the 14 days without effort and I must say I am very surprised at how good it tastes at this point. It's still a little green but very drinkable and I look forward to tying it again after some more bottle conditioning.

In other news I bottled again today and now have three brews bottled up to condition, another FV ready to bottle in a couple of days and a new FWK just firing up with some Nottingham in the brew fridge. 🙂 

• Like 6

On 11/14/2021 at 6:27 PM, iBooz2 said:

Second taste test of my Royal Lager (Crown Lager clone) recipe which was a partial mash done back in October.  My first taste test really showed up that this beer was a kit tin brew and was different from my AG brews, a background something which I had forgotten about.

It has become better after about 3 weeks in the keg but it’s just a tad malty and maybe a bit on the sweet side for a 5.0% ABV beer, even though I threw 6 kg of grains at the two Coopers kit tins so suspect Coopers use crystal malts in these tins.

In hindsight I should have upped both the bittering hops and the late aroma hops (both Hallertau Mittelfrueh) to get it closer to where I reckon it should be.  Don’t get me wrong it is a great beer to drink but just think I missed the perfect mark by a whisker.  No mash salts where used, just filtered rainwater so probably could have tweaked that a bit to enhance the hop.  Maybe could have used a late PoR in it to give that Crown Lager touch too.

An update on this Royal lager.  Well I have slowly gotten through the first of the 2 kegs of this and boy am I regretting not throwing 500 g of Carapils into this mash because the head retention is crap.  Looks good when first poured but after about 1 minute it looks like a urine sample.  Because this was a 50 % K & K and 50 % all grain I thought I had the persistent K & K head issue covered by using so much grain to make up the malt side of the recipe rather that using DME but alas it failed.  And its still got the underlying kit tin taste too, should've done a late hop or dry hop to try an cover that as well.

There has to be something in the kit tins that is the head killer, the ISO hop oils?  Its not the glass as the next beer of something else holds the head and lacing just as you would want it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

I sometimes wonder why we actually go to the Pub ! Coopers have nailed this Bootmaker PA, it is awesome, this is now going to be a stock drink for me, so satisfying, I used Centennial for this one which is great but also keen to try it with POR & maybe Chinook.

This probably will be the last beer on the bar in this place as hopefully the bars/stools will be going down the Bay.

Lot's of work setting up but I am looking forward to it. Cheers.

682471677_COOPERSBOOTMAKERPALEALE19122021.thumb.jpg.170a1e316fb07aa96dd293bf9d8f9d72.jpg

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

So we can drink VB on tap!!

theres that naughty word again   VB  

arrrgh well  some people like drinking out of the dogs bowl lol

hmmm  i do drink carlton draught with friends  but never  that word that shouldnt be  thought of 

• Haha 3

@Tone boy very nice photo and tasty looking lager well done.

@iBooz2 maby you just have done all grain so long that any kit beer will seem this way? In my limited experience with GCL tin it has a great head. Also as you said it doesn't always hold as long but I usually do slightly different things each brew so makes it hard to pinpoint why.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

your going to be a squished ant if you keep repeating those to letters

not a whole lot of difference between Carlton draught and vb. If one acceptable the other not far off. If anything vb taste better from a stubby or can draught might just have it on tap.

14 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

not a whole lot of difference between Carlton draught and vb. If one acceptable the other not far off. If anything vb taste better from a stubby or can draught might just have it on tap.

VB is quite a bit sweeter than Carlton Draught in my opinion.

And following that, and Old Speckled Hen extract clone. Lovely clarity and colour but a bit meh. Next time I follow a recipe from the CAMRA (campaign for real ale in the UK) I’ll double the hops. 
Also serving at a higher temperature (about 13C) suits this type of ale, unless it’s summer where you are. Which it ain’t for me, even if you b*ggers are off sunning yourselves on the beach 😬 - but I do have the ice cream cone at least…

20010532-FC52-4C8E-ACDC-D66BBD9C18E6.thumb.jpeg.a8e26a6f7bc098212216e6f97db4de5c.jpeg

8CDDD678-B355-4CEA-BBCA-7F0DB2706BC5.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2