Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

1 hour ago, Adam Ant said:

Breakfast beers. Coopers kit. The Voyage American Pale Ale. This has gone south. The colour is not right and has a harsh bitterness I can't deal with. This will be the last kit beer I ever brew I think. My all grains have spoilt me.

20211220_075957.jpg

I just had another glass, maybe i'm being a bit harsh. Its not bad, it definitely has hop bite and hard to pick a malt of any kind.

I've had worse craft beers from the shop. It needs to round off i think. But my beers don't get half a chance. If they're no good young then i judge harshly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Adam Ant said:

I just had another glass, maybe i'm being a bit harsh. Its not bad, it definitely has hop bite and hard to pick a malt of any kind.

I've had worse craft beers from the shop. It needs to round off i think. But my beers don't get half a chance. If they're no good young then i judge harshly.

judge why they are young is not a good thing  and i spose bottling has that advantage over kegging you tend to be more patient when conditioning as with keg its there basicly already  

bit hop burn wont hurt

• Like 3

On 12/19/2021 at 8:56 PM, jamiek86 said:

maby you just have done all grain so long that any kit beer will seem this way? In my limited experience with GCL tin it has a great head. Also as you said it doesn't always hold as long but I usually do slightly different things each brew so makes it hard to pinpoint why.

@jamiek86 No I don't think its the AG sneaking in as I have always been super critical of my own beers and processes.  You and others are probably the same, wondering how to make it better each batch and when you have a win with a process / beer outcome you lock it in for the next time and time after that.  I gave up brewing many years ago and dumped all my hard won trial and error hand written notes into the recycle bin as I thought I was never going to do home brew again.  How wrong and silly was I?  Now have to go on memory and polish up all that lost knowledge again.  I never did AG back in the day, mainly only partial mashes and kits and bits.

First time I have used the GCL and I thought 2 x tins and a equal amount of AG malts and added hops would have cut though but it did not.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

Worked bloody hard for this one!  65 minutes in the afternoon sun  running up endless hills and stairs.  My 61 year old legs feel like jelly!  So, downing a crisp 'n' cold NZ golden ale dosed up with Amerillo and Cascade hops   😋   Probably should be rehydrating with lot's of water... but.... nah!  

PostRunAle_Dec2021.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

okily dokely  my coastbusters west coast ipa i was dissapointed about when brewed it   , i also brewed under pressure  at 10 psi  didnt feel the need to go any more 

my 1st taste before carbing up the beer even though it had some carb from brewing under pressure .

i got alot of hopburn through this but alot of aroma around the nose to my liking  gave of that fruity sensation that amarillo parts with
but i thought  heck this is a sink pour ,  so decided i better have another butcher and i said nah  the over bitterness is just from hopburn and that will mellow out in a week or 2.

still dissapointed   as i feel its lacking  the ommph  that a normal wc ipa would be  as this is only 4 % and would have liked it to be around 5.4%abv    thats my fault not the recipes.

well after cleaning 4 taps  and the boel itap  they are ready again to get some beers into them

well i had to have another sample today even though its only being carbed up and its day 2  of carbing up,  i dont do forced carb like the other boys do,  i am patient and want to let it carb up  at serving pressure ..   

its what i was expecting no head or retention yet  is the carbonation is still  happening and this beer will be carbed  by late saturday or sunday for the start of the ashes and the sydney hobart yachat race

still its not where i want it but its easy to drink and not bad for flavour and aromas and bittness   
its definately not going to be a sink pour

will  take photo when the   beer is fully carbed and presentable to my liking   in the next week or so  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Worked bloody hard for this one!  65 minutes in the afternoon sun  running up endless hills and stairs.  My 61 year old legs feel like jelly!  So, downing a crisp 'n' cold NZ golden ale dosed up with Amerillo and Cascade hops   😋   Probably should be rehydrating with lot's of water... but.... nah!  

PostRunAle_Dec2021.jpg

There is lots of water in beer you know 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

PostRunAle_Dec2021.jpg

Get in to yo BS, sounds like you deserve it. Cheers 🍻 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@iBooz2 not sure how didn't see your reply Monday before now. Well I can understand that for sure being hard on ourselves over what we make. I've had similar issues with head retention in some beers and in others they were awesome. I have also this time had similar issues with not making accurate tasting notes after each brew because the small book fills up just from brew day and all the gravity etc. I will need to organize it better as the brews I'm pumping through my memory of each one is limited. I am so busy trying new hops and things each brew I haven't re visited and of the ones I did like yet but maybe in the new year. 🍻

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2021 at 4:36 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sounds like it will be a blast at the Xmas parties at these places !! 😲

BHP, Woodside and Rio Tinto have and decided four alcoholic drinks per person was the maximum they would serve staff at their Christmas functions this year.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/markets/christmas-party-drink-limit-set-at-bhp-rio-tinto-woodside/ar-AARTgfk?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=W022

Sure was a blast!!!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

my own midstrength lager 3.9% partial mash only 3 1/2 weeks in keg very tasty and refreshing. Only 10 grams EKG for 10 min steep lid on at FO very nice 

Yep I reckon the late hop additions make a better beer.

• Like 2