Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

On 2/4/2022 at 9:08 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Yep, the 5l beasty. I had an email from BeerCartel the other day advertising it and just couldn’t go past it. Got this one for the inner Bavarian…

The first time I went to Munich I tagged along to the end of one of SWMBO's work trips. My plane got in about 10AM and she was still working. Naturally I gravitated to a Bier Garten, lo and behold , the Paulaner one ! By the time she got back to the hotel in the evening I had drifted off into the arms of Morpheus back in the hotel, snoring peacefully. Little did I know of the storm that was brewing. Positively Wagnerian in its fury it was.... 😰

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

Bitburger is a nice, clean, dry pils. Used to find it on tap in a few places.

My parents live about 50km from Bitburg, so it is omni present in the area. Most pubs over there have exclusive contracts or are owned by breweries, so they usually only have one brand of beer. The main brews sold were Bitburger, Karlsberg (not Carlsberg) and Koenigsbacher. The latter, we all hated, Karlsberg wasn't bad but from the neighbouring state, so naturally, Bit was king 🙂 

Karlsberg at some point made a pretty good Hefe Weizen. Actually, the best non-Bavarian HW I can think of. It helped spread the word but then they stopped making it and focussed on their Pilsener business. Shame really.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The main brews sold were Bitburger,

Bitburger also make Bitburger Drive 0.0% ABV which I reckon is one of the nicest zero alc beers on the market.

And well till recently (dunno if available at the mo) was only around the $30 which for 24 for a very nice nil alc beer seemed pretty reasonable.

image.png.21bd46ebcc8712df2b986431a2f8e1ec.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Bitburger also make Bitburger Drive 0.0% ABV which I reckon is one of the nicest zero alc beers on the market.

And well till recently (dunno if available at the mo) was only around the $30 which for 24 for a very nice nil alc beer seemed pretty reasonable.

image.png.21bd46ebcc8712df2b986431a2f8e1ec.png

Yeah it isn't bad. Dad had some last time I was there. I also like Erdinger 0.0. The nicest zero alc Hefe Weizen out there.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I have been drinking a few alcohol free beers recently. If I feel like a beer during the week I have one and leave the alcohol beers for Fr-Sun.

There are some really good craft ones out there now. My favourites:

• Brew Dog Punk AF
  • Big Drop (Pale Ale, IPA, DDH IPA)
  • Athletic Brewing Co
  • Mornington Pale Ale (AF)
  • Bridge Road Brewers - Free Time
  • Big Shed - Desi Driver
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

I have been drinking a few alcohol free beers recently. If I feel like a beer during the week I have one and leave the alcohol beers for Fr-Sun.

There are some really good craft ones out there now. My favourites:

• Brew Dog Punk AF
  • Big Drop (Pale Ale, IPA, DDH IPA)
  • Athletic Brewing Co
  • Mornington Pale Ale (AF)
  • Bridge Road Brewers - Free Time
  • Big Shed - Desi Driver

They are coming very popular   1 my favourites is heaps normal xpa

One drop also do a low alcahol  Hazy Ipa  @2.9%  called luponus Maximus  this is a gem of a beer
 i know its not 0% alcohol free    but just the same its not a heavy beer in ABV terms

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

They are coming very popular   1 my favourites is heaps normal xpa

One drop also do a low alcahol  Hazy Ipa  @2.9%  called luponus Maximus  this is a gem of a beer
 i know its not 0% alcohol free    but just the same its not a heavy beer in ABV terms

I must admit I haven't tried any of them, maybe I should, the only one I ever had was when I had to drive my ex girlfriend to a Doctor's appointment - she wouldn't let me get a normal beer & said I shouldn't be thirsty while I am driving her around 🤔

Anyway it was a Carlton Zero - Yuk ...😬 I couldn't finish it 🤮 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I must admit I haven't tried any of them, maybe I should, the only one I ever had was when I had to drive my ex girlfriend to a Doctor's appointment - she wouldn't let me get a normal beer & said I shouldn't be thirsty while I am driving her around 🤔

Anyway it was a Carlton Zero - Yuk ...😬 I couldn't finish it 🤮 

carlton zero,  not my liking either your not alone on that one 

but i have tried a few others  in 0% range and they are streets ahead of carlton zero

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Carlton Zero is awful. I seem to prefer the hoppy ones.

Of the "Mainstream" alcohol free beers, the James Squire one is OK.

Yes, disgusting, I will try a few of the others that have been mentioned just for the experience, on Light Beers my favourites are James Boags Premium or Cascade Light or even Coopers Light, there were & still are times when I was travelling I had to cut back the alc but still wanted a drink.

• Like 3

On 2/6/2022 at 2:55 PM, Aussiekraut said:

The nicest zero alc Hefe Weizen out there.

Just a quick note - the Germans do very nice HW as @Aussiekraut AK notes above - and I have been able to purchase non-alc HW from Aldi at Oktoberfest time in years gone by  - it was Paulaner --> very nice and one of the better alc free beers : )

... BUT full of carbs 😋

image.thumb.png.f18f48856d25ed20426e0a0fc8d1ae1b.png

• Like 1

My first tasting of the St Bernardus pack. Dedicated to @stquinto and thanks for your reports and opening my eyes to the St Bernardus range and of course the elusive St Sixtus!

My tasting notes - I am not getting much aroma but then again my olafactory senses may be a little dull. Lovely malt tastes with some mild hop and mild bitterness. Definitely a malt concentrated brew with just some toasty after taste. I like it.

If I could buy the St Bernardus Pater 6 at a reasonable price I would be stocking up.

1870e.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

My first tasting of the St Bernardus pack. Dedicated to @stquinto and thanks for your reports and opening my eyes to the St Bernardus range and of course the elusive St Sixtus!

My tasting notes - I am not getting much aroma but then again my olafactory senses may be a little dull. Lovely malt tastes with some mild hop and mild bitterness. Definitely a malt concentrated brew with just some toasty after taste. I like it.

If I could buy the St Bernardus Pater 6 at a reasonable price I would be stocking up.

1870e.jpg

Pleased to hear that mate!

I must say they are growing on me. I haven’t managed to get the 6 yet, but have  tried the 8, the 12 and the triple. They do a light one (4) and a weiss too. 
Nice drop!

6 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Just a point mate, I reckon these beers are reasonably clone-able. If you don’t have the yeast stall on you, and you are willing to mature them for at least 3 months, I think they ate quite feasible. I’ve got one lined up for my next brew

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Bit of a shocker for a Monday night (got to see the boss tomorrow morning - face masks have one and only one usefulness ) but what the hell - St Bernardus, a bottle of Bordeaux, and pepper steak

You must have been a naughty boy to have to front the boss Stquinta - the mask will disguise any facial expressions but beware of the eyes, they may give it away 🙄 😝🤭

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

They look good, Dan Murphy's at Glenelg have a big display/promo of them but the prices are a bit steep if you compare it what else you can get for the same money but I understand the reason why %.

I may treat myself & try some.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You must have been a naughty boy to have to front the boss Stquinta - the mask will disguise any facial expressions but beware of the eyes, they may give it away 🙄 😝🤭

I reckon I can get away with it.. even if they’re like stab wounds in a pig’s backside 🤣

• Haha 3