Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

20 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

I recall when Coopers made the move from Leabrook to where they are now, some of the yeast was (maybe) contaminated.

There were heaps of poor quality beers but the return process was great.

In the end I'd open a stubby in the bottles shop from a 6 pack and see how it was - kept going until I got a decent 6 pack

I must agree and give Coopers a plug. I have never come across an Australian company that has better customer service than Coopers. They never just sell you a product and then just ignore you, they have a great customer back up, should you require it.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 3

Tasting of the St Bernardus Prior 8 today.

Well wow! This dubbel has a deep brown colour. 1st whiff and the aroma is almost like apple? The taste is a deep malty backbone but with that apple/fruity edge (just a twinge). Despite the 8% it is to me a very well balanced Belgian dubbel, no hint of the high ABV. Quite a complex taste that I have trouble describing, no problem drinking it though.

Wish that I could get it at a reasonable price, oh well a challenge to clone it I guess.

Really good beer!

1883e.jpg

• Like 5

I am having the last of @disgruntledRIS - Russian Imperial Stout 8% & I can feel it, but a good feeling 😋 I didn't notice with the other bottle but I am picking up the velvety coffee, malty flavours but I detected a licorice after taste which is not unpleasant, overall it is a damn fine drink - I don't think you would want to drink too many of them hey Dissa' 🙃

Well done mate a bloody good drop.

PS it is not a dirty glass just condensation.

20220213_165638.thumb.jpg.834d8ff73e844ac99d39c3f80d52d523.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, kmar92 said:

asting of the St Bernardus Prior 8 today.

Well wow! This dubbel has a deep brown colour. 1st whiff and the aroma is almost like apple? The taste is a deep malty backbone but with that apple/fruity edge (just a twinge). Despite the 8% it is to me a very well balanced Belgian dubbel, no hint of the high ABV. Quite a complex taste that I have trouble describing, no problem drinking it though.

Wish that I could get it at a reasonable price, oh well a challenge to clone it I guess.

Really good beer!

That looks really nice @kmar92 I am going to start trying some of them as my local Dan Murphy's is stocking them but I know what will happen I will start buying the damn glasses as well. 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That looks really nice @kmar92 I am going to start trying some of them as my local Dan Murphy's is stocking them but I know what will happen I will start buying the damn glasses as well. 😬

They are excellent goblets!

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 6:18 AM, stquinto said:

@kmar92 mate, I got in the queue to buy  three cases, to pick up in person the following week. 38€ for a slab of the Green cap, with a 15€ deposit. I had 10 minutes to buy but I bottled out because it's a 15 hours round trip I couldn't decide, so my session expired. I could have pulled a two-day sickie I suppose, but I used up my Covid joker at Christmas. Only messing, I'd have used up my overtime in lieu and made a road trip of it.

Did I not show enough respect to the Beer Gods (and Their Earthly manifiestations, the monks of St Sixtus) ? Time will tell. Perhaps I am eternally damned to drink non-alcoholic beer for several lifetimes...

I think I might to go and burn some chicken's innards to make amends, or something like that 😖

@stquinto I was looking around online this afternoon and found that Beer Cartel here in Australia actually stocks Westvleteren 12 from the good monks of St Sixtus! Actually they are out of stock at present but it is hard to imagine why they are out of stock when the price is listed as $60 for a 330ml bottle 😭😭😭.

• Sad 3

I guess that attempting a clone of Westvleteren 12 is called for. I have seen a few recipes so at some stage I may try this.

https://recipe.brewfather.app/O9vx1Jp4XvgjwqnoHvHjzeE9IiDnpt

Look at the OG, it is a wonder that the yeast doesn't just leap back out of the fermenter when it hits that wort!

Edited by kmar92
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, kmar92 said:

@stquinto I was looking around online this afternoon and found that Beer Cartel here in Australia actually stocks Westvleteren 12 from the good monks of St Sixtus! Actually they are out of stock at present but it is hard to imagine why they are out of stock when the price is listed as $60 for a 330ml bottle 😭😭😭.

Holy Cow! I got a couple under the table once in Belgium… at 15€ a pop I thought I couldn’t sit down for a week…

I will be joining that club though… f***ing oath I will …

Edited by stquinto
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2022 at 10:45 PM, iBooz2 said:

A post script to this sipping of a carton of Coopers Pale Ales.  Most of the stubbies were OK but several (so far) were crap.

Wondered why and found that this carton had been sitting in the supply chain for just over a year, they were January 2021 stock so probably sitting in Dan Murphy's etc. too long @Coopers DIY Beer Team

Thanks for letting us know mate. You're right, that beer has been sitting around in the Dan's supply chain for almost 12 months, and going by your description, not in a coldroom. I'll flick you an email this morning to get some more details off you and confirm the store you purchased this carton from was Dan Murphy's Mildura. Cheers, Frank.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Thanks for letting us know mate. You're right, that beer has been sitting around in the Dan's supply chain for almost 12 months, and going by your description, not in a coldroom. I'll flick you an email this morning to get some more details off you and confirm the store you purchased this carton from was Dan Murphy's Mildura. Cheers, Frank.

Great to see follow ups on Customer enquiries, excellent customer service Frank, take the rest of the day off. 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Craft Cartel

I've always avoided them. Used to call themselves wenty north liquor, then rebranded one day to "Craft Cartel" when "Beer Cartel" was a very well known craft beer store. Really dodgy stuff if you ask me. Only time I hear people talk about them online is when they're selling off beer for cheap because its about to hit (or already has hit) its best before date

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, terminal2k said:

I've always avoided them. Used to call themselves wenty north liquor, then rebranded one day to "Craft Cartel" when "Beer Cartel" was a very well known craft beer store. Really dodgy stuff if you ask me. Only time I hear people talk about them online is when they're selling off beer for cheap because its about to hit (or already has hit) its best before date

Yep I know what you mean, I don't need any of that, I can get enough specials in a variety of Pub/Liquor Shops - all very close to me.

Usually when something sounds to good be true, it probably is. 😬

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I had a tasting paddle at Barossa Valley Brewing a few years ago. One of the beers was a bacon beer. It truly tasted like bacon but I thought it was dreadful. A short while later I was in a craft brewery in the main street of Hahndorf and the proprietor was keen for me to try his bacon beer. I told him, "Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should do it." Bacon beer is a no from me.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I had a tasting paddle at Barossa Valley Brewing a few years ago. One of the beers was a bacon beer. It truly tasted like bacon but I thought it was dreadful. A short while later I was in a craft brewery in the main street of Hahndorf and the proprietor was keen for me to try his bacon beer. I told him, "Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should do it." Bacon beer is a no from me.

I have to agree, I love my beer with beer in it, not honey, chilli, garlic, coconut, chocolate, potatoes & god knows what else.

I am not having a go at you guys that like to experiment with flavours but that's my opinion.

I like my bacon & coffee in the morning, beer later on. 😋 Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Barossa Valley Brewing

their rauch was one of the more palatable ones. I had one once that literally tasted like they'd just emptied an ashtray into the beer bottle. when mountain culture confirmed their rauchbier festival wasn't a practical joke I made sure I was doing something else that weekend

• Haha 3

On 2/13/2022 at 4:40 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

RIS - Russian Imperial Stout 8%

Nice one.

There were two different stouts in there, one was the RIS (probably 10%) and one was a stout.

There was pnly one RIS so I think that was the one

• Like 1

Finishing off my tasting of the St Bernardus beers today with the Abt 12.

Some fruits to the aroma, but quite nuanced. A balanced taste between the bitterness and sweetness. It does have a little alcohol taste, at 10%ABV that is expected. St Bernardus says that this is their flagship brew.

For me I found the Pater 6 and Prior 8 more suited to my tastes. They have all been great beers though and stand at the top of the Belgian beers that I have had the pleasure to sample!.

1892e.jpg

• Like 5