Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

30 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Perfect beer for a perfect Adelaide day. I just got back from walking the dog (to the pub but don't tell the missus) and was thinking to myself how good the weather is.

Now Muzzy you know that is sneaky but I know you don't care, I trust the Mutt had a bowl of water while you were imbibing. 😬

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Perfect beer for a perfect Adelaide day. I just got back from walking the dog (to the pub but don't tell the missus) and was thinking to myself how good the weather is.

To be honest could be 10 degree and raining and still be ideal conditions for a Sparkling Ale! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

To be honest could be 10 degree and raining and still be ideal conditions for a Sparkling Ale! 

That's a fair point, champion.

Hey @Hilltop hops, while I have your attention. Was it you that gave some of us the "inside word" on cold steeps for hops? I was exchanging views with others on another thread this morning about it and I couldn't remember who suggested it initially.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MUZZY said:

That's a fair point, champion.

Hey @Hilltop hops, while I have your attention. Was it you that gave some of us the "inside word" on cold steeps for hops? I was exchanging views with others on another thread this morning about it and I couldn't remember who suggested it initially.

A cold steep for hops seems a lot like a dry hop.  I am not sure if you would get the same results out of cold steeping in say 500ml to 1000ml of cold water as you would out of adding the same amount of hops to the fermenter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

A cold steep for hops seems a lot like a dry hop.  I am not sure if you would get the same results out of cold steeping in say 500ml to 1000ml of cold water as you would out of adding the same amount of hops to the fermenter.

You'd know better than me, Guru Shamus. I have mentioned somewhere throughout the forums that I'm not sure if cold steeps are the most effective use of hops but they do seem to add the hoppy flavour I was after. The benefit I find from doing them is it's all done on brew day. There's no Chux to retrieve later and there's no lifting of the lid once the yeast is pitched.

Mariska Hargitay, Guru. 🙏

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MUZZY said:

You'd know better than me, Guru Shamus. I have mentioned somewhere throughout the forums that I'm not sure if cold steeps are the most effective use of hops but they do seem to add the hoppy flavour I was after. The benefit I find from doing them is it's all done on brew day. There's no Chux to retrieve later and there's no lifting of the lid once the yeast is pitched.

Mariska Hargitay, Guru. 🙏

Nice one, Muzzy.  If it isn't broke...

• Like 1

Upon a visit a mate was slurping one of these Norwegian Lagers he'd got on mark-down - seemed happy with it - but noted it was a pretty quiet inoffensive sorta style... but he thought the tinnies also popped a bit when opening as we were at 920m or so ASL and this was brewed at Sea Level... he does work in the alc game so I respect what he had to say...  and he had to get it into the glass quick.... it did have very nice tiny bubble structure and head retention was good... there yer go : )

image.png.d826b28ce2696cebd5f3fa80c7e7924c.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Upon a visit a mate was slurping one of these Norwegian Lagers he'd got on mark-down - seemed happy with it - but noted it was a pretty quiet inoffensive sorta style... but he thought the tinnies also popped a bit when opening as we were at 920m or so ASL and this was brewed at Sea Level... he does work in the alc game so I respect what he had to say...  and he had to get it into the glass quick.... it did have very nice tiny bubble structure and head retention was good... there yer go : )

Certainly looks heady, I haven't seen that one before but I notice Dan's & BWS have it on sale for $12 for 6 x 330ml, not bad !!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

image.png.d826b28ce2696cebd5f3fa80c7e7924c.png

I made a lager recently that has poor head retention. I'm going drink them all at Mt Lofty now to remedy that. 😁

Edited by MUZZY
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

I made a lager recently that has poor head retention. I'm going drink them all at Mt Lofty now to remedy that. 😁

Might even work Muzzy 🤔 there was another member using Woolworths Lager here a while ag with the same problem, poor head until we told him about LME & LDME, you may remember him he was from Mackay QLD, hasn't posted in a while.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Or failing that @MUZZY Muzzler next time just do the same brew, but add in AS WELL to the other ingredients: a Tin of Coopers Liquid Malt of your choice of Dark, Amber or Light ; )

16 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Or failing that @MUZZY Muzzler next time just do the same brew, but add in AS WELL to the other ingredients: a Tin of Coopers Liquid Malt of your choice of Dark, Amber or Light ; )

Hi IP. You may or may not remember but I am an avid fan of liquid malt extract and use it often. However, too much malt with certain styles of beer just isn't the go for me. Particularly in summer when I'm looking for crisper, lagery type beers. I don't mind dark lagers but I quite like pale lagers too. I reckon a kg of BE2 might be a good compromise to get that paler appearance but also the head retention we all seek.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DavidM said:

Coopers Pale Ale,      yes a classic

No photos, sitting on the balcony in the sun, sucking Great beer.

Just so I can reclaim the yeast for my next brew!!

hope it works........

I think I mucked up

when I came to pouring me reclaimed Yeast into my brew today, I realised I have to do this again (drink Pale Ale), to get more yeast.

there must be a way to keep and grow yeast..

Help Please