Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

9 hours ago, RDT2 said:

You’ve got that right there was a story on taxes going up on beer in Perth. (Could be Australia wide) I didn’t realise how much tax you pay on beer it was like 22dollars out of a 53 dollar carton of full strength beer. +1 on making a Belgian at home, great beers and fun to make especially making the candi also, saves heaps.

Correct. And that's on ABV percentage of like 4.5. So make that a 10% ABV belgian and your paying 50 bucks in tax only. It's a total rort but it's one of the reasons I got into this great hobby.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

That is part of my reason for wanting to get a half-way decent Duvel clone mastered. I originally tried using a Belgian kit (bloody awful), then extract (too dark), and finally the BIAB. That one worked a treat - I think it was the mash in several steps and the 20 day cold crash at around 0° that did it. TBH I can actually source Duvel (in France) at $2.40 per 33cl bottle so it's not so much the price that motivates me but the challenge. Having said that the grain bill for the Duvel comes to next to nothing... Since I've just got myself a fridge for cold crashing I'll be making that one more often that's for sure.  

No brainer really....

Price is definately a motivating factor here. Pack of 12 Duvels at Dan's 90 bucks. My clone recipe is about 15 bucks for a 19L batch reusing the yeast. So I can make pretty much the same for about $3.50

Screenshot_20220202-094052_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Quite partial to this one. Reminds me of La Chouffe. Nowhere near as dry as Duvel but pretty decent

Interesting looking beer, I like the glass too, there seems to be more & more of these imported beers flooding our markets which is a good thing I guess, probably more for the government. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

AK, now you are talking, I am guessing that is a 5l baby, I have had a few in my time, obviously not that one, enjoy.

Yep, the 5l beasty. I had an email from BeerCartel the other day advertising it and just couldn’t go past it. Got this one for the inner Bavarian…

B9FF68D1-CDC8-43ED-8837-BBDA177443E5.thumb.jpeg.b82a6f2ac6278a5c4449c5868fac22f6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yep, the 5l beasty. I had an email from BeerCartel the other day advertising it and just couldn’t go past it. Got this one for the inner Bavarian…

Awesome, I love that bier. They have similar in the Bottle Shops here in Dan's & a few others - a great Friday Night/Party thing. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

This tasted a lot better before AG home brewing 😀 Still not half bad though.

Funny mate - same - I used to love that stuff and now it sorta tastes a bit thin after the AGs... but still a good beer.  

However, I haven't changed my earlier opinion of the commercially available Bavarian Wheat Beers which are a pretty tasty product and hard to beat 😄

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, kmar92 said:

No not the St Bernadus version, the original St Sixtus brew.

Green cap, not label. I do not think that the St Sixtus monks do labels at all.

https://www.trappistwestvleteren.be/en/our-beers/trappist-westvleteren-blond

Came across this mate, could be interesting to try :

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/westvleteren_6_blond_-_040.pdf

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

How long would those last before going off mate?

Mate @PintsAtMeLocal Pints I reckon in the can untouched it would last for ages if cellared well and nice and cool -- but best observe the use-by date on can...

But when you drink the suckers I reckon that from practical observation that they lose fizz as you go down in the level and dunno how they would go if you say left half the can in the fridge for a few days.  I think from the PV = nRT Boyle's Ideal Gas Law as you are increasing the volume in the headspace of the can, that the pressure would logically reduce and CO2 would go into the headspace and out of the beer solution... and it may become somewhat flat ☹️

I have been plenty wrong before...  but  I do support @Aussiekraut AK our resident Bavarian Beermeister, that it may be best to quaff it in a relatively timely manner 🥳

13 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I don't know. I guess the secret is not letting it get to that point 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Mate @PintsAtMeLocal Pints I reckon in the can untouched it would last for ages if cellared well and nice and cool -- but best observe the use-by date on can...

But when you drink the suckers I reckon that from practical observation that they lose fizz as you go down in the level and dunno how they would go if you say left half the can in the fridge for a few days.  I think from the PV = nRT Boyle's Ideal Gas Law as you are increasing the volume in the headspace of the can, that the pressure would logically reduce and CO2 would go into the headspace and out of the beer solution... and it may become somewhat flat ☹️

I have been plenty wrong before...  but  I do support @Aussiekraut AK our resident Bavarian Beermeister, that it may be best to quaff it in a relatively timely manner 🥳

I have had a few of them over the years, especially when Heineken was on special, I think I bought 5 of them, I found that they are best consumed in a few days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

Is the site OK, it sends off all the alarm bells here?

Got a point mate, I checked the Westvleteren 12 recipe and it seems to be similar to others I've found on other sites.

That is the candi syrup brand I used for my Duvel (the light one called Simplicity), it's an American company. I have also used their dark one (180) in with a Dubbel kit and it really gave it a bit of oomph. I have two left of each and my next two brews lined up are a Duvel and a Westvleteren 12, although the yeast I have is actually for a Chimay Blue.

I got on the Westvleteren website to try and order for a home delivery: fat chance again. From what I am reading the St Bernardus ones are considered as good as the Westvleteren, BUT I AM JOINING THAT CLUB, DAMMIT ! It'll be my Haj...