Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

On 1/8/2022 at 9:30 PM, stquinto said:

That’s the one mate. You can buy that in the shops: for the Westvleteren they used to have it on sale a few times a year and you had to wait in the monastery car parc until they called you in. You could buy 2 slabs maximum. Now I read they have occasional delivery slots because of Covid. I have a colleague in Belgium, I might get some delivered to her place. Her hubby is a bit of a p*ss head too so I’m sure it’ll work.

Once everything “opens up” again, I might do a road trip up there and fill the car up with grog. And visit some museums too, of course… 

I bought myself a present after we had discussed these beers and my present was delivered today. Not cheap down here but I am looking forward to trying them!

I will still search for that elusive Blond from the St Sixtus monks but probably will never find it here.

1816e.JPG

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I bought myself a present after we had discussed these beers and my present was delivered today. Not cheap down here but I am looking forward to trying them!

I will still search for that elusive Blond from the St Sixtus monks but probably will never find it here.

1816e.JPG

Nice selection mate !

For the green label one, do you mean this one ?

image.thumb.png.714892b869b212423ca475e836fb95b3.png

I didn't get any in the Belgian shop the other day (should have), just the red one:

image.thumb.png.afd9f3daae858476b61c99429e399734.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Nice selection mate !

For the green label one, do you mean this one ?

image.thumb.png.714892b869b212423ca475e836fb95b3.png

I didn't get any in the Belgian shop the other day (should have), just the red one:

image.thumb.png.afd9f3daae858476b61c99429e399734.png

No not the St Bernadus version, the original St Sixtus brew.

Green cap, not label. I do not think that the St Sixtus monks do labels at all.

https://www.trappistwestvleteren.be/en/our-beers/trappist-westvleteren-blond

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

No not the St Bernadus version, the original St Sixtus brew.

Green cap, not label. I do not think that the St Sixtus monks do labels at all.

https://www.trappistwestvleteren.be/en/our-beers/trappist-westvleteren-blond

Yeah, I got you mate. 

I am really considering doing a road trip up there and filling up the boot, it's a seven-hour drive. Hopefully snagging a few Westvleteren if I can either organise the pickup or a delivery. 

I reckon you'd be hard pushed the find it where you are 😰

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

@stquinto yes zero chance here, maybe 1 day I can get there. Even if you get there they are very particular about sales, you have to pre-order and arrive on the days that they stipulate and there is a 2 crate limit.

Oh well, maybe.

image.png.009c3720a67473fa04b105240cc70a77.png

But since I'll be taking the Aston with the revolving number plates, I'll go back for more 🤣

image.png.3a7711181185a6d6d2320d5ded9986c3.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Stash a couple for me!!

Well, I've just set myself up an account. You wait in a queue on a website when there's a sale on, either for a home delivery or to go and get it. Probably like one of those website where you try to buy concert tickets, constantly clicking the refresh button 😭

If I do head up there I'll visit the Duvel brewery whilst I'm at it. All excited now !

• Like 3

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

I must try a few of them, similar ones are starting to bob up in some Bottlo's in Adelaide, I have seen a few on display at the

Watermark ( now a Dan Murphy's ) but a few of them are $12.00 each !!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Stone & Wood - Pacific Ale

Fruity aromas with slight boiled lolly vibe.

Citrus flavour.  Some spiciness.  Zingy bitterness.  Very sessionable.

I have an extract clone of this patiently waiting to be brewed.

IMG_2814.JPG.1c38eaef6e42d9d896485b0492ad1f79.JPG

Shamus are you willing to share the extract recipe of the S&W clone you have? I've got one but it's not quite right - I've tried K&K extract from scratch with no base kit tin, tried the Morgans clone and it just doesn't get there. Cheers mate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I must try a few of them, similar ones are starting to bob up in some Bottlo's in Adelaide, I have seen a few on display at the

Watermark ( now a Dan Murphy's ) but a few of them are $12.00 each !!

The gift pack that I showed was about $55, 4 x St Bernardus bottles plus a St Bernardus goblet. I guess that equates to about $8/bottle allowing for the value of the goblet. Not something that I would purchase everyday, but for a once off I thought that it worth it. Beer Cartel also had a free shipping promotion so I got the St Bernardus pack plus a box of Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mickep said:

Shamus are you willing to share the extract recipe of the S&W clone you have? I've got one but it's not quite right - I've tried K&K extract from scratch with no base kit tin, tried the Morgans clone and it just doesn't get there. Cheers mate.

Hi Mickep, mine is just the Morgans clone.  I heard it was pretty good.  Extracts mixed together.  All of the hops are dry additions.

IMG_20220122_0001.jpg.d10d486433380fb2da1adfc27ca8ae22.jpg

I got it from Aussie Brewmakers in Mansfield a little while ago.  Looking on their website, it looks like they have changed their recipe a bit since:

• Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract
  • Morgan’s Master Malts Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
  • Light Dried Malt Extract (LDME)
  • Dextrose
  • Cracked Carapils Grain (Steeped)
  • Galaxy Pelleted Hops (Loose – Steeped)
  • Galaxy Pelleted Hops (2 x Teabags – Dry Hopped 48 hours)
  • 10g M36 Liberty Bell Ale Yeast OR Safale US-05 (depending on availability)

Given the two unhopped extracts now listed, I am guessing their recipe now includes a boil or at least a very hot steep.

• Like 1

I am a Happy Camper ATM, had a busy morning dodging persistent rain in the garden & general clean-up.

Time for a cold one, my favourite of course !! Meanwhile the Nottingham is working at the other end of the room in one of the FV's, going well after just 18 hours, developing a healthy krausen. I need to get busy & fill all of the FV's to build stocks up.

20220123_140241.thumb.jpg.ed8c7fbfce6cca68dd057a25bbb3ec29.jpg20220123_140440.thumb.jpg.a77c3e32e1f1538a446ab0c0d70ef154.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1