Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

Lovely colour, bit of sourness, fruity but without being a grown-up version of Cheery Coke

I had never heard of Lambic beer. Googled it. 

Lambic differs from most other beers in that it is fermented through exposure to wild yeasts and bacteria native to the Zenne valley.

You certainly have a big range of interesting beers to try.

• Like 3

A Talus hopped West Coast IPA from Ballistic. Not a bad beer like most of Ballistic’s brews but not my favourite. I’ve never been particularly big on IPAs and prefer the humble pale ale. In most IPAs, I find the bitterness a little overbearing, distracting from the hop’s flavours and the malt. Quite drinkable though.

4921D375-00CE-4B8D-8A0E-D6CC9C6F4D31.thumb.jpeg.edc156573a99089d32d3e39e12165e1a.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 5

Black Sheep Ale, from the Theakston bloke who set up shop on his own when Theakston’s was sold to some megaswill corporation (Scottish and Newcastle maybe). 
Mighty fine drop, especially served not too cold. Suits Northern Europe at the moment at cellar temperature 

0A634681-496C-4661-B750-AE4C9C1C4721.jpeg

AE2A4F06-8832-4F1B-A99A-AF35E1358626.jpeg

• Like 6

Boatrocker Brewers - Miss Pinky Raspberry Berliner Weisse

Smells like a diluted raspberry jam or maybe a raspberry pie, or even some cocktail with raspberry in it.  This is obviously pink coloured.

Tastes quite similar.  Sourness is pretty mild.  Compared to the Dainton Blood Orange NEIPA, which was a beer pretending to be a fruit juice, the Miss Pinky is more like a raspberry cordial pretending to be a beer.  Still not bad.

IMG_E2774.JPG.9b2f6517841f1eec7939eeb0847bb8e6.JPG

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Dainton Brewery - Blood Orange NEIPA

Definite orange aroma.  Slight pink tint to the beer.

Reasonably juicy flavour.  Not just a fruit-juice beer, more like a beer with fruit juice tendencies.  Modest bitterness.  Very nice.

IMG_E2771.JPG.4e46dc63dc0fc70cc30e89816d938196.JPG

this beer is much better on tap  then it is in the can  ,   i enjoyed it more from the tap

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 6:59 PM, Aussiekraut said:

This is something I normally wouldn’t get because I am not a fan of sours. I mean really? The first thing you’re told about brewing is sanitation, sanitation, sanitation. Don’t give the bacteria a chance. The bacteria is your enemy and if you ever had an infected batch, you know why. So why on earth would I deliberately infect my hard worked for beer with bacteria which makes it sour? Why? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

So a sour beer? One made with not just yeast?

Are you feeling okay?

Yeah not sure. I feel infested with bacteria 🙂 

I got a few sample packs for xmas and besides of the ever present IPAs and Hazys, the odd lager and a couple of pales, there was a gose and a sour. Both were quite drinkable but still not my fave. Beer isn't supposed to taste like this 🙂 

Will I go out and brew one? Probably not. Will I drink the odd one? Sure, why not? TBH, I actually bought a 4-pack of the above yesterday. Not because I went out to get one but because I saw it and it had my name written on it. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@Aussiekraut I could get one just for the can fantastic lol. So it wasn't over sweet and artificial tasting? Only one I ever tried was bricklane had to tip it out.

It's got a distinct watermelon taste to it, funnily enough 🙂 It isn't overly sour and IMHO quite sessionable. I've had worse. A couple of years ago, there was a beer festival here in Brissie, organised by several breweries and SEQ water to showcase beers brewed with desalinated sea water. The Water Me Lawn was one of the beers show. I didn't mind it but also hadn't had one since.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

It is though. Beriner Weisse, wonder where that beer comes from???

You know, when I was a young fella in Bavaria, a Berliner Weisse was a wheat beer served in a bowl shaped stem glass and had either raspberry or woodruff sirup poured into it 🙂 

• Like 3

Here is another interesting one. It came in the Ballistic 12 days of Xmas pack. Graft, a grisette from Ballistic’s bunker project. Apparently fermented using 8 different yeast strains. It is a bit like a farmhouse ale, unconventional flavours and has quite a tartness to it. There is a smell and after taste, I can’t point my fingers at but it is an interesting beer. Not my normal kinda beer but not bad…every now and then 😀

9001AC85-837A-4928-AAFF-0E7DAC59707B.thumb.jpeg.3805c697d50fbfd1220fad19507c836c.jpeg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

You know, when I was a young fella in Bavaria, a Berliner Weisse was a wheat beer served in a bowl shaped stem glass and had either raspberry or woodruff sirup poured into it 🙂 

Not mad keen on them myself, Berlin rot or grün I think. 
This was from a 12 pack of Lindemans, blackcurrant. Hmmm…. a bit like Ribena with booze in it 🤨🤔

CC045439-EBD8-4ADD-81DF-31E180B755CC.jpeg

2ADEA754-DE22-4B87-B850-FB60CEA024D4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2