Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

OK, I received some beer from @disgruntled the other day & I promised to critique it for him, Tommy ( Lee Jones my mate ) was here & I cracked one. It was more than good, but I will be giving my report in the morning as I have to organise a BBQ.

I am telling you it was good but full review in the morning, Cheers, Phil.

997358939_DISSABEER.thumb.jpg.3b613fcb37dc3ef87672bd0509f4340f.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, kmar92 said:

No not the St Bernadus version, the original St Sixtus brew.

Green cap, not label. I do not think that the St Sixtus monks do labels at all.

https://www.trappistwestvleteren.be/en/our-beers/trappist-westvleteren-blond

@kmar92 mate, I got in the queue to buy  three cases, to pick up in person the following week. 38€ for a slab of the Green cap, with a 15€ deposit. I had 10 minutes to buy but I bottled out because it's a 15 hours round trip I couldn't decide, so my session expired. I could have pulled a two-day sickie I suppose, but I used up my Covid joker at Christmas. Only messing, I'd have used up my overtime in lieu and made a road trip of it.

Did I not show enough respect to the Beer Gods (and Their Earthly manifiestations, the monks of St Sixtus) ? Time will tell. Perhaps I am eternally damned to drink non-alcoholic beer for several lifetimes...

I think I might to go and burn some chicken's innards to make amends, or something like that 😖

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, stquinto said:

@kmar92 mate, I got in the queue to buy  three cases, to pick up in person the following week. 38€ for a slab of the Green cap, with a 15€ deposit. I had 10 minutes to buy but I bottled out because it's a 15 hours round trip I couldn't decide, so my session expired. I could have pulled a two-day sickie I suppose, but I used up my Covid joker at Christmas. Only messing, I'd have used up my overtime in lieu and made a road trip of it.

Did I not show enough respect to the Beer Gods (and Their Earthly manifiestations, the monks of St Sixtus) ? Time will tell. Perhaps I am eternally damned to drink non-alcoholic beer for several lifetimes...

I think I might to go and burn some chicken's innards to make amends, or something like that 😖

Jeez, I would be careful mate, don't take the boat out Tumblr: Image

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK, I received some beer from @disgruntled the other day & I promised to critique it for him, Tommy ( Lee Jones my mate ) was here & I cracked one. It was more than good, but I will be giving my report in the morning as I have to organise a BBQ.

I am telling you it was good but full review in the morning, Cheers, Phil.

997358939_DISSABEER.thumb.jpg.3b613fcb37dc3ef87672bd0509f4340f.jpg

I will still critique this beer, I just have been out all morning & had visitors all day, all they wanted to do was sit around & drink, I could have been out in the garden in the 35c hot sun with all of the Adelaide humidity, how unthoughtful of them 🤣

I will get to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, disgruntled said:

Lovely!

The best beer I have made is my Flanders. BLOWN away at how good a beer can taste after fermenting for 6 months

Excellent to hear that mate! I’m pretty excited about this style. I imagine it’s a bit concerning to have to lay down a beer for six months all the same, good for you 👍

• Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 7:28 PM, Cee said:

ok

so one of those days that ends in. "Whyyyyyyy" yet therefore why not begin a recovery: Of warm, inebriated, "well why not" kinda acceptance and like my forefathers and foresisters before me, solace comes in a pintglass

This is a beer I would not usually try

But a certain dark beer was not available and the bloke suggested (I am sure with commission in mind) this one

I do not begrudge him his commission he heard my preferences and this beer is ... wow...

Wow

I might need to revisit after another swig...

Strewth...

strong...

tasty

Jumping The Shark 2021.jpg

Jumping The Shark 2021a.jpg

UPDATE:

I ended up enjoying this more, when I treated it like a cognac and drank it in small amounts, instead of in beery amounts

I drank it that way over a week. It reminded my housemate a little bit like Vegemite, but I thought more like Bonox (well, I was thinking about it that way after the feedback). The flavours were still very strong and intriguing to me at the end of the bottle.

(NOTE: In fairness, I would not say it tasted like Vegemite. Nor did it taste like Bonox. But something was reminiscent. I did not want to misrepresent it).

I would probably not spend on this again as a Beer, but as a wintery sipper for a nightcap I can see myself enjoying it. 

I am ShipHouse at using or describing beers as part of a dining experience but maybe this beer would also be nice with some kinda appropriate food. 

It is as rare as rocking-horse ship that I would buy a $30plus brew so I wanted to update this for anyone interested

Edited by Cee
Terrible Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

No comment... 😭😰

westvleteren.JPG

westvleteren all gone.JPG

Yeah those St Sixtus drinkers are a very exclusive club. I guess that the scarcity of the brew makes the allure of it stronger, I would still love to sample it though and see why?

Oh well I have the St Bernardus in stock and I am just waiting for a special occasion to sample it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

Yeah those St Sixtus drinkers are a very exclusive club. I guess that the scarcity of the brew makes the allure of it stronger, I would still love to sample it though and see why?

Oh well I have the St Bernardus in stock and I am just waiting for a special occasion to sample it.

I really hope that my “luck” on getting a spot for a pick-up wasn’t a fluke. Having said that, there are bound to be more people wanting a home delivery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

Yeah those St Sixtus drinkers are a very exclusive club

Absolutely mate, but that is a red rag to a bull. I'll be joining that club by hook or by crook, mark my words... 🤣

Maybe easier to get a membership to the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

This is a good deal 6 x Longnecks for $25.00 - if you do your sums, that's $4.17 per 750ml bottle, a SA Schooner is 285ml & out of each bottle you get 3 x Schooners (round figures) so that works out to $1.39 per Schooner !! Good Value.

A carton presently is $53.00 for 12 bottles ( normally $56.00 ) but at $53.00 it works out to $4.42 per bottle or $1.47 per Schooner.

The other good part about is I get 6 more Longnecks to add to my bottle stock.

The BEST thing about it I get to drink it !! 😜

20220130_140047.thumb.jpg.7cbc6b47bb4d96a14eee32cc3beb9d6e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

This is a good deal 6 x Longnecks for $25.00 - if you do your sums, that's $4.17 per 750ml bottle, a SA Schooner is 285ml & out of each bottle you get 3 x Schooners (round figures) so that works out to $1.39 per Schooner !! Good Value.

A carton presently is $53.00 for 12 bottles ( normally $56.00 ) but at $53.00 it works out to $4.42 per bottle or $1.47 per Schooner.

The other good part about is I get 6 more Longnecks to add to my bottle stock.

The BEST thing about it I get to drink it !! 😜

20220130_140047.thumb.jpg.7cbc6b47bb4d96a14eee32cc3beb9d6e.jpg

Nice one, Phil.  Maybe save the dregs from 3-4 bottles to make up a culture of the Coopers Yeast for a future brew.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nice one, Phil.  Maybe save the dregs from 3-4 bottles to make up a culture of the Coopers Yeast for a future brew.

You know Shamus I have always been wanting to try that as it seems a lot of members do this, I have seen the Coops video & looked online but I was always worried about infection or it not working & wasting a potential brew. I should revisit & give it a go.

Cheers.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You know Shamus I have always been wanting to try that as it seems a lot of members do this, I have seen the Coops video & looked online but I was always worried about infection or it not working & wasting a potential brew. I should revisit & give it a go.

Cheers.

I reckon you will be fine.  You have made heaps of batches of beer and I don't think you have reported an infection.  As long as you follow the video and pay your usual attention to sanitising things, you will have no problems.  It is really satisfying to make your own yeast and the fact it is "free" is another bonus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I reckon you will be fine.  You have made heaps of batches of beer and I don't think you have reported an infection.  As long as you follow the video and pay your usual attention to sanitising things, you will have no problems.  It is really satisfying to make your own yeast and the fact it is "free" is another bonus.

Cheers Shamus I WILL give it a go in fact I am drinking a Pale Ale now - I WILL do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3