Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

Mountain Goat 6 pack from Uncle Dan about $20 with a member's card, not really bad, I prefer their Pales but this makes a nice change. I would buy this again, a good fridge filler & good value with a 5.2% ABV.

Quote:

Fancy Pants is the best of both worlds. The high malt bill combined with Galaxy hops results in a toffee-like malt body with spice, hints of fruitiness and a toasty, slightly bitter finish.

20220208_152010.thumb.jpg.770b09c72f63d2906c1c9defd4a81ab1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, stquinto said:

Pleased to hear that mate!

I must say they are growing on me. I haven’t managed to get the 6 yet, but have  tried the 8, the 12 and the triple. They do a light one (4) and a weiss too. 
Nice drop!

I still have 1 of each of Prior 8, ABT 12 and the Tripel, to try. They are in the fridge ready to go!

• Like 2

The next St Bernardus in my tastings is the Tripel.

Light coloured, I think that the brewer monks describe it as a blonde. Aroma is maybe, just a little sweet. Taste perhaps slightly hoppy, low bitterness but a little tart after taste. At 8% it does not have a big alcohol flavour, but it is a sipper no doubt.

Compared to the Pater 6, I would rate the Pater 6 as a better beer. That said it is still a good beer.

1878e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, kmar92 said:

The next St Bernardus in my tastings is the Tripel.

Light coloured, I think that the brewer monks describe it as a blonde. Aroma is maybe, just a little sweet. Taste perhaps slightly hoppy, low bitterness but a little tart after taste. At 8% it does not have a big alcohol flavour, but it is a sipper no doubt.

Compared to the Pater 6, I would rate the Pater 6 as a better beer. That said it is still a good beer.

1878e.jpg

Just drinking one now mate, I agree with all of your tasting notes, especially the slightly tart after taste. Not unpleasant or anything. Quite malty too.

03C374A6-3EB0-49CA-907D-5294BF3080D6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

All this talk about fresh produce wrapped in plastic in the what are you growing thread so I thought I would post this pic.

Sunset lighting up the plastic covered grape vines at Red Cliffs Vic.  These grape vines are the larger purple table grapes for the fresh produce markets, (the variety name has slipped my mind for the time being).  The plastic is to stop sunburn on the grapes, keeps any rain off and lessons the chances of mildew and also increases the temps a bit sort of like a mini hot house to ripen them earlier so they get the best prices by being at the markets first.

Anyway sipping several Coopers Pale Ales as I surveyed the country side was a good thing.   Arh the serenity and satisfaction!

Red Cliffs Coopers Pale Ale - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 2/10/2022 at 8:57 AM, stquinto said:

Just drinking one now mate, I agree with all of your tasting notes, especially the slightly tart after taste. Not unpleasant or anything. Quite malty too.

03C374A6-3EB0-49CA-907D-5294BF3080D6.jpeg

Apparently the Prior 8 is to the recipe that St Bernardus brewed under license to the St Sixtus monks at Westvleteren before that license expired. Brewed in the dubbel style it seems. I haven't tried it as yet but I am looking forward to it.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Apparently the Prior 8 is to the recipe that St Bernardus brewed under license to the St Sixtus monks at Westvleteren before that license expired. Brewed in the dubbel style it seems. I haven't tried it as yet but I am looking forward to it.

it's a good one mate, less hefty than the 12. Good drop they all are

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Anyway sipping several Coopers Pale Ales as I surveyed the country side was a good thing.   Arh the serenity and satisfaction!

A post script to this sipping of a carton of Coopers Pale Ales.  Most of the stubbies were OK but several (so far) were crap.

Wondered why and found that this carton had been sitting in the supply chain for just over a year, they were January 2021 stock so probably sitting in Dan Murphy's etc. too long @Coopers DIY Beer Team.  Some of the yeast in the bottles was quite light coloured and looked OK and suspended well as to be expected and cause the normal CPA haze but in some bottles the yeast was very black and very crystalline which suspended in the beer like dead ants in a honey jar.   Not a good look and I am disappointed in myself for not checking the date stamps on the cartons.  I reckon the good stubbies were on the inside of the pallet stack and the bad ones on the outside of the stack, in the sun or heat.

Maybe Coopers Pale Ale stubbies are just not a big turn over beer here in North West Vic so always going to be some duds.

I will certainly be checking the carton stamps in future.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

A post script to this sipping of a carton of Coopers Pale Ales.  Most of the stubbies were OK but several (so far) were crap.

Wondered why and found that this carton had been sitting in the supply chain for just over a year, they were January 2021 stock so probably sitting in Dan Murphy's etc. too long @Coopers DIY Beer Team. ...

If it were me I would certainly be taking them back and or certainly advising all involved of the issue - Dan and Coopers both need to know that - and you need to be compensated for the damage that incurred...  

• Like 2

Hey Gang. Bit of shameless self promotion here…we had our first canning run at work yesterday. Canned four of our 12 beers. Trying to showcase what we do as a Belgian brewery in 4 styles isn’t easy but we have something for those that like the strong ones and those that like the easy drinkers. 
LtoR we have the strong Amber, golden strong, wit and lager.
plenty more in the tap room for those that come this way to the Gold Coast. Cheers.

5CEBE82F-DE5C-4815-BA1E-C2FE7F2BA183.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, MitchBastard said:

Hey Gang. Bit of shameless self promotion here…we had our first canning run at work yesterday. Canned four of our 12 beers. Trying to showcase what we do as a Belgian brewery in 4 styles isn’t easy but we have something for those that like the strong ones and those that like the easy drinkers. 
lager, wit, golden strong and strong amber. 
plenty more in the tap room for those that come this way to the Gold Coast. Cheers.

Hey Mitch that's bloody awesome mate, I envy you living the dream, I need to see if any of these beers will reach SA shores as they sure as hell look good & inviting.

Thanks for posting. Cheers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

lager, wit, golden strong and strong amber. 

5CEBE82F-DE5C-4815-BA1E-C2FE7F2BA183.jpeg

Nice selection ! Is the Reynard anything like a Kwak? The the Nobel like a Duvel or more a tripel?

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Mitch that's bloody awesome mate, I envy you living the dream, I need to see if any of these beers will reach SA shores as they sure as hell look good & inviting.

Thanks for posting. Cheers.

Cheers mate, not sure what the boss has planned in terms of aus wide distribution, I’m sure it’s in the pipeline but baby steps for now. We have an online store happening….. Gunna enquire about the  the beer cartel and sites of the like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MitchBastard said:

Cheers mate, not sure what the boss has planned in terms of aus wide distribution, I’m sure it’s in the pipeline but baby steps for now. We have an online store happening….. Gunna enquire about the  the beer cartel and sites of the like. 

I will keep my radar on as I know if you have had anything to do with the production it will be very good, I wait in anticipation, Cheers.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Nice selection ! Is the Reynard anything like a Kwak? The the Nobel like a Duvel or more a tripel?

Cheers mate, to be honest I havnt had a kwak….there’s a few secret herbs and spices in there if that helps….

the Nobel is more like a duvel 🤤

• Thanks 1

Just now, MitchBastard said:

Cheers mate. I can’t take any credit except for the hard yakka on brew day 😉

Mitch we have all seen your beers, absolute perfection, there is nothing else to say apart from well done & keep up your good work, awesome, & enjoy the lifestyle you have created, in a Brewery for christ's sake, we are jealous.😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mitch we have all seen your beers, absolute perfection, there is nothing else to say apart from well done & keep up your good work, awesome, & enjoy the lifestyle you have created, in a Brewery for christ's sake, we are jealous.😂

Haha cheers mate. Greatly appreciated. It’s not all glitz n glamour. Over worked and under payed 🤣 but it’s the happiness it delivers that counts. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Most of the stubbies were OK but several (so far) were crap.

I recall when Coopers made the move from Leabrook to where they are now, some of the yeast was (maybe) contaminated.

There were heaps of poor quality beers but the return process was great.

In the end I'd open a stubby in the bottles shop from a 6 pack and see how it was - kept going until I got a decent 6 pack

• Like 2