Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

45 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers Shamus I WILL give it a go in fact I am drinking a Pale Ale now - I WILL do it.

@Classic Brewing Co , yep it's the way to go and one of my favourite yeasts.

You will need to cold crash the bottles upright for at least a week first to make sure all the yeast have dropped out of the beer and to the bottom of the bottle.  Yes I said cold crash, treat them like an FV so they have time to settle because they have been handled every which way in the supply chain, even you bringing them home will stir them up.   If you do not do this you will be prone to failure.

When I am going to harvest CCA yeast I spray sanitiser all up under the cap area before I open the bottle.  Once the cap is off re-spray the cap lip area and drown the cap itself in sanitiser then carefully decant all but say 20 mm of the beer into a jug.  Once beer is out re-spray the bottle lip and cap area and refit the original cap, just click it on and store that bottle in the fridge.  Do this to at least 3 bottles or more as the more yeast for your starter the better.  Minimum long-necks is 3 and if you use 5 or 6 you are guaranteed to produce your own CCA yeast bank.

With proper yeast management you will be able to keep this strain going and going and going, brewing your own Sparkling Ales and Pales ales.  It's definitely the way to go if you like Coopers brew like I do,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

You will need to cold crash the bottles upright for at least a week first to make sure all the yeast have dropped out of the beer and to the bottom of the bottle.  Yes I said cold crash, treat them like an FV so they have time to settle because they have been handled every which way in the supply chain, even you bringing them home will stir them up.   If you do not do this you will be prone to failure.

When I am going to harvest CCA yeast I spray sanitiser all up under the cap area before I open the bottle.  Once the cap is off re-spray the cap lip area and drown the cap itself in sanitiser then carefully decant all but say 20 mm of the beer into a jug.  Once beer is out re-spray the bottle lip and cap area and refit the original cap, just click it on and store that bottle in the fridge.  Do this to at least 3 bottles or more as the more yeast for your starter the better.  Minimum long-necks is 3 and if you use 5 or 6 you are guaranteed to produce your own CCA yeast bank.

With proper yeast management you will be able to keep this strain going and going and going, brewing your own Sparkling Ales and Pales ales.  It's definitely the way to go if you like Coopers brew like I do,

Cheers Al & thanks for your input, that makes a lot of sense & I appreciate your time & effort outlining it in simple terms.

I will save this & report at a later date.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 5:30 PM, iBooz2 said:

I know this is not the thread to get into it but..

that is such great info above but what do you do next? How do you keep it going?

Yes I have watched lots of videos but all seem to miss a bit or go on tangents.

What do you do Next.

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I know this is not the thread to get into it but..

that is such great info above but what do you do next? How do you keep it going?

Yes I have watched lots of videos but all seem to miss a bit or go on tangents.

What do you do Next.

Thanks

I did not want to assume that you had seen the Coopers video of harvesting yeast.  So here it is: https://www.diybeer.com/au/brewing-support#video=Sw2Cu-BdqdA

This is a pretty straight forward explanation.   Something he does not mention is to time the preparation of your yeast culture with a fermenter full of wort ready for its yeast.  This is not absolutely critical, because you can keep the yeast culture for a month or more, but it is best fresh.  Then, in terms of Next, beyond the video:

• After the 3 - 4 days, I put the soft drink bottle in the fridge to cold crash (encourage the yeast to sink to the bottom).
  • After 4 -7 days in the fridge you gently tip off most of the liquid.  Similar to how you decanted the original Pale Ale bottles.
  • Leave enough liquid to swirl up the yeast into a runny cream. 
  • When your wort is ready, just add the yeast at the same time you would normally add your dry yeast.
  • Then monitor like any other brew.

Good luck if you decide to give it a go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all the ideas and pointers, I have watched this video before and others, just didn't get it and my attempt failed.

I watched the video again and this time it sank it a bit further and i'm ready to give it another go soon.

I've put three longnecks in the fridge, I'll leave them for five days and be ready for a brew Sunday week.

Thanks all

• Like 2

Brewery = One Drop
beer = Luponus Maximus
Style = Hazy Micro IPA
ABV = 2.9%

Wow it does pack a punch for a light beer  @ 2.9%  , i could actually sit and have a few of these
the hops blend in well but are very hard to pick specially sabro

opening the can and on the 1st pour the woft of the aroma is wow so much  to a small beer
loved the bitterness at the end of the beer

great  beer and to get ipa's  with full bodied aromas  such as this is terrific achievement

easy sessionable hazy in my thoughts

20220201_160847.thumb.jpg.4e18920047bfc8a6c2198a3a1038c2ac.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 7:02 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sounds swell but where's the photo 📸 ?? You are grounded.

Here it is, the recipe is the Lemon Zest Weizen, but I used 6 leaves from my Lemon Myrtle and 1BDE47B2-6413-4DED-B7E0-120AB2C8BCF4.thumb.jpeg.c423094d8c8ef19e7b5d661dfea723eb.jpegzest from one lemon, therefor Lemon Myrtle Weizen. Also as I didn’t have brew enhancer I mixed some extra dry malt with malto dextrin. It turned out really well. Would I brew it again?  Absolutely!!!!!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, stquinto said:

St Bernardus 12. Packs a punch (10°) but quite well rounded, nothing overbearing, nicely balanced with chocolate and toffee notes and a reasonable amount of hops in it (for a Belgian). I cleaned the glass too...

Stquinta I saw those at my local Dan Murphy's today in a gift pack - 4 bottles & a glass for $43 AUS, they sell the glasses individually for $15 each which I thought was way too much.  I would still love to try it though.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Here it is, the recipe is the Lemon Zest Weizen, but I used 6 leaves from my Lemon Myrtle and 1BDE47B2-6413-4DED-B7E0-120AB2C8BCF4.thumb.jpeg.c423094d8c8ef19e7b5d661dfea723eb.jpegzest from one lemon, therefor Lemon Myrtle Weizen. Also as I didn’t have brew enhancer I mixed some extra dry malt with malto dextrin. It turned out really well. Would I brew it again?  Absolutely!!!!!

Looks really nice, well done.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stquinto said:

St Bernardus 12. Packs a punch (10°) but quite well rounded, nothing overbearing, nicely balanced with chocolate and toffee notes and a reasonable amount of hops in it (for a Belgian). I cleaned the glass too...

1218056716_stbernardus.jpg.3c243d7fd22cc939d3c890880b87007f.jpg

I assume those bottles are 330ml or less given the size but @ 10% you wouldn't need many to get you over the hill 🙃

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Stquinta I saw those at my local Dan Murphy's today in a gift pack - 4 bottles & a glass for $43 AUS, they sell the glasses individually for $15 each which I thought was way too much.  I would still love to try it though.

Yeah, I get you Phil, they have to come all the way from Belgium.

If you could get the 4 beers for the $43 less the glass, that would be a bit more acceptable...

I pay about $5.50 per bottle, but I can get them for $4.75 if I buy a case.

I am going to make a road trip up to Belgium (7 1/2 hours) just to fill the boot up. And visit some cultural stuff. There's (yeast) culture in beer, right ?

If you make a cuppla bob on the nags (maybe old Muzz will give you a tip or two) you should give it a try. Quite something. But as you say, don't need many to get you over the hill, that's for sure.

Alternatively get yourself some BIAB kit and make one yourself - I'm going to give it a go on one of my next brews 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

They are like $7 - $8/ bottle @Classic Brewing Co, which isn't too bad for an imported beer.

I am still waiting for the special occasion to try mine @stquinto. Note to self - clean the goblet 1st before pouring a beer.😋

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah we get screwed with the alcohol excise with high alcohol beers. But it's quite easy to make a nice belgian so making them yourself is definitely worthwhile at the prices they want to charge you.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yeah we get screwed with the alcohol excise with high alcohol beers. But it's quite easy to make a nice belgian so making them yourself is definitely worthwhile at the prices they want to charge you.

You’ve got that right there was a story on taxes going up on beer in Perth. (Could be Australia wide) I didn’t realise how much tax you pay on beer it was like 22dollars out of a 53 dollar carton of full strength beer. +1 on making a Belgian at home, great beers and fun to make especially making the candi also, saves heaps.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

You’ve got that right there was a story on taxes going up on beer in Perth. (Could be Australia wide) I didn’t realise how much tax you pay on beer it was like 22dollars out of a 53 dollar carton of full strength beer. +1 on making a Belgian at home, great beers and fun to make especially making the candi also, saves heaps.

I agree with both of you. If I had to pay those prices I would be right into brewing my own versions, out of spite towards the Customs/Excise folk 😡

I looked up the recipe for Chimay blue on Brewfather: about 7kgs of grain, a few hops, some candi syrup and a pack of speciality Wyeast.

At my prices for all of those ingredients you're looking at $50 for 19l of 9° grog, even cheaper if you harvest your yeast and make your own candi syrup. 

That is part of my reason for wanting to get a half-way decent Duvel clone mastered. I originally tried using a Belgian kit (bloody awful), then extract (too dark), and finally the BIAB. That one worked a treat - I think it was the mash in several steps and the 20 day cold crash at around 0° that did it. TBH I can actually source Duvel (in France) at $2.40 per 33cl bottle so it's not so much the price that motivates me but the challenge. Having said that the grain bill for the Duvel comes to next to nothing... Since I've just got myself a fridge for cold crashing I'll be making that one more often that's for sure.  

No brainer really....

6 hours ago, RDT2 said:

That's Australia wide. Alcohol excise increases twice a year. It's a cash cow for the ATO. I think prices for a schooner will go up by 20c or so each time. Pub owners are asking the ATO to half the increase this time round as they're all Covid stricken but the govt doesn't want to. We pay more tax on a carton of full strength beer than a crate of beer costs in Germany, including their alcohol excise!

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

That's Australia wide. Alcohol excise increases twice a year. It's a cash cow for the ATO. I think prices for a schooner will go up by 20c or so each time. Pub owners are asking the ATO to half the increase this time round as they're all Covid stricken but the govt doesn't want to. We pay more tax on a carton of full strength beer than a crate of beer costs in Germany, including their alcohol excise!

Unfortunately the pub owners understand the plight of the public but have no choice  but to  apply the  excise to the public.

Most decent pub owners will apply the excise once a year    .

so becuase of the excisde we just had   some publicans will hold off  putting the excise on  will apply it in july when the 2nd excise hits   so  you will get double dose in july   meaning  it will only go up once a year instead of twice a year

its guaranteed income for the ATO  beer and tabacco never will be dropped 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1