Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

31 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Can you not incorporate a simple blow off tube down into a bucket of sanitiser instead of the air-locks?

I could I suppose - I have a few metres of beer keg lines: sanitise a length, and have the other end weighted down in a container with sanitiser. I'll see if it looks like it's slowed down or not. Cheers for the suggestions 👍

• Like 3

What's almost not in your fermenter: My Modus Operandi Russian Imperial Stout

Woke this morning (1 3/4 days - 40 hours) into fermentation to find the Krausen trying to lift the fermenter lid.  The brown stuff is Krausen that has stuck to the lid.  No actual escaping foam at the stage.  I will monitor it to make sure I do not get an overflow.  It was unexpected because checking last night, it still had a good 10 cm of air space.

IMG_2908.JPG.d9fe7e3be29979dc81c81c694521b002.JPG

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Woke this morning (1 3/4 days - 40 hours) into fermentation to find the Krausen trying to lift the fermenter lid.  The brown stuff is Krausen that has stuck to the lid.  No actual escaping foam at the stage.  I will monitor it to make sure I do not get an overflow.  It was unexpected because checking last night, it still had a good 10 cm of air space.

Wow bit of action there Shamus, got any spare bricks ?🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

IMG_2908.JPG.d9fe7e3be29979dc81c81c694521b002.JPG

did you have the krausen collar on   as well       

looks like its going   great mate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

did you have the krausen collar on   as well       

looks like its going   great mate

No I did not have the Krausen collar fitted. Only 21.5 litres of wort to start with and what I thought was plenty of head space.  I have been checking it each hour and it has not expanded or started overflowing. 

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1

Just now, Shamus O'Sean said:

No I did not have the Krausen collar fitted. Only 21.5 litres of wort to start with and what I thought was plenty of head space.  I have been checking it each hour and it has not expanded or started overflowing. 

you will be safe now i think   ,  i just think of the unexpected  krausens it pays to have the collar on  just to allow that extra bit of head space considering these dont use air looks

• Like 2

The final

image.thumb.png.215a0c904478b479481c2a9e475efef6.png

few days of sit and think oka FV Conditioning - for the last two Brews in the Campaign....  around 15-16 degC in the Larder nice and cool... just bombed the RHS Dubbya Brew with 96g Citra in the Hop Sock... hoping to keg on Day 3 both it and the Alt on the LHS... both don't seem to be going anywhere re FG... hoping for some nice beer post carb-up in the kegs 👍

• Like 11

Well this is what's not quite in my fermenter but looking forward to it. It'll be my first AG experience so I'm a bit excited.

G&G Hop Nation XPA as suggested by the Ozzie - Oz devil. And in the Background waiting in the wings are 4 x KL Fresh wort 3 cubes of lager.

277715420_502407474766653_2372159804568929674_n.jpg

277854483_701178424657846_2132593672688504362_n.jpg

277706912_784655842922521_5914289106501844879_n.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Well this is what's not quite in my fermenter but looking forward to it. It'll be my first AG experience so I'm a bit excited.

G&G Hop Nation XPA as suggested by the Ozzie - Oz devil. And in the Background waiting in the wings are 4 x KL Fresh wort 3 cubes of lager.

277715420_502407474766653_2372159804568929674_n.jpg

277854483_701178424657846_2132593672688504362_n.jpg

277706912_784655842922521_5914289106501844879_n.jpg

hop nation xpa  was a collab  between  grape and grain and hop nation    brewed on a 500l Braumeister kettle at grain and grape

its a ripper of a fwk  and is very typical  of a hop nation beer.

it will be fruity and full of Aromas   this one   great fwk to do

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Whohooo Mick, there you go, good luck with it all 👍

• Thanks 1

What's in my Fermenter is my first AG - FWK experience. Looking forward to this so much.

From Grain and Grape: Hop Nation XPA.

Added 3 liters of pre-boiled cooled water to the 16.5 liters of wort.

OG: 1.051

EST ABV; 5.5%

Color;  7  EBC

IBU;     40

Malts; Pale, Wheat, Vienna

Hops;  Ella, Motueka

Dry Hop;  Ella, Galaxy

Yeast;  Nottingham slurry

Pitch;  18 degrees C

Volume; 19.5 liters

277471141_669218514301362_5291086087030119762_n.jpg

277829463_379591267357802_2850937172021279216_n.jpg

• Like 8

This is the Hop Nation XPA next morning;

Notty yeast slurry is on fire.

Recipe calls for first dry hop addition at high krausen - when would that be? And for how long - 3 days?

Next dry Hop addition is 3 days from packaging - at CC? or literally 3 days from kegging?

277838942_666699361285765_8717683718467387652_n.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

dry hop addition at high krausen - when would that be?

High Kräussen haha is what is going on right now AFAIK : )

But I only have ever done -3 day dry hopping once things have calmed down.... so not sure what they are up to adding when it's going flat out - as thereby you would usually lose all your volatiles and just make the fridge smell nice but lose it out of the beer... maybe something else going on - maybe biotransformation of some sort?

And I think HKDH probs on the safe side no longer than 3 days @Mickep but am not a dry hopper expert... and certainly not a HKDH expert... 

@ChristinaS1 or @Greenyinthewestofsydney might know?

The Brülosopher might be worth checking too mate?

This one with more normal yeasts...

https://brulosophy.com/2017/01/23/biotransformation-vs-standard-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

And this one with more of a Funky Monkey...

https://brulosophy.com/2021/03/01/biotransformation-impact-of-dry-hopping-neipa-at-high-krausen-when-fermented-with-imperial-yeast-a24-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

But I only have ever done -3 day dry hopping once things have calmed down.... so not sure what they are up to adding when it's going flat out - as thereby you would usually lose all your volatiles and just make the fridge smell nice but lose it out of the beer... maybe something else going on - maybe biotransformation of some sort?

And I think HKDH probs on the safe side no longer than 3 days @Mickep but am not a dry hopper expert... and certainly not a HKDH expert... 

https://brulosophy.com/2017/01/23/biotransformation-vs-standard-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

https://brulosophy.com/2021/03/01/biotransformation-impact-of-dry-hopping-neipa-at-high-krausen-when-fermented-with-imperial-yeast-a24-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

Thanks IP @Itinerant Peasantmate, yeah, I feel like it's all about a spaghetti western or some such. Meet you at high krausen you son of a beech. Haha. It's from the instructions so I guess they know what they're doing - I mean the krausen is seemingly at it's highest just 17 hours in after pitching.....what to do?

Thank you for the links too IP, will have a goosey at those. I'll go for 3 days dry hop until otherwise advised...That's been working well for me in the past.

Cheers me ol sea salty IP

• Haha 1

I'm in the embryo stages of my kegging journey but I will still need to wash a few bottles to get this put away.

50 litres of OS Stout with liquid dark malt, choc malt grains and cocoa powder.

While I have the capability to keg this brew I really like stouts that have been bottle aged. 

IMG20220407112431.jpg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I'm in the embryo stages of my kegging journey but I will still need to wash a few bottles to get this put away.

50 litres of OS Stout with liquid dark malt, choc malt grains and cocoa powder.

While I have the capability to keg this brew I really like stouts that have been bottle aged. 

Looks great Muzzy, I agree with you about bottle aged stout, very hard to beat, that is next on my list.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

@MUZZY where did you find that Monster fermenter ?

and you need to invite me over for a Stout when that lot is ready

Hi Dave.
Got the big barrel from Kegland for about $30-35 a few years ago.
While it is great to build up stocks of beer it is bloody heavy when full. I only use it occasionally and I only use it at ambient temperatures because even though it just fits in my fermenting fridge, I can't bottle from the fridge as it sits too low to get the bottling wand under it.

https://www.kegland.com.au/60l-hdpe-fermenter-kit.html

Don't be too keen to wanting drink some of this brew. It's a little experimental from my point of view. I don't often do grains and steeps so my fingers are crossed it turns out OK.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Thanks Muzzy, be no good for me, as I couldn't move it.

Not seen one that big, which just means I've not looked!

Yeah, it's too big for practicality reasons. This is the first time I've used it in ages because today I worked out how I can move it around. I've got it sitting on an old filing cupboard on wheels now, so I have some mobility for it.
Previously I used to place it on the dining table or kitchen counter and had to bottle from where it sat. These positions didn't please the bride too much though.
While it's been out of service as a fermenter it's been a great soaker tub for washing bottles in. Holds about 40 x 750ml PETs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Yeah, it's too big for practicality reasons. This is the first time I've used it in ages because today I worked out how I can move it around. I've got it sitting on an old filing cupboard on wheels now, so I have some mobility for it.
Previously I used to place it on the dining table or kitchen counter and had to bottle from where it sat. These positions didn't please the bride too much though.
While it's been out of service as a fermenter it's been a great soaker tub for washing bottles in. Holds about 40 x 750ml PETs.

I had often thought about getting one but as I was gifted a few more fermenters from friends deceased family members & also my next door neighbour passed on all of his sons brew gear who moved away.

Apart from the size & somewhat limited mobility they are a good idea if you want to do a big brew.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I have tried dry hopping at pitching time a few times, when I was fermenting in a keg. I was not a fan and did not keep it up. I did not get much flavour out of them; it seemed like a waste of hops. I feel I get way more out of hops if I use them after fermentation has died down. 

If you are looking for biotransformation, might as well add them to the hop stand where there is a little bit of heat to help the oils become soluable. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@MUZZYA soaker tub to wash bottles in........that struck a chord with me. I needed to soak 30 bottles the other day, and realised that the laundry tub wasn't big enough. Followed by a lot of messing about washing in stages. Might try the bath tub next time.

• Like 3