Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

28 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Interesting set up @Red devil 44. You don't seem to be worried about the gauge on the spunding valve getting any moisture in it. I always have mine mounted with the gauge at the highest point with the lines below it in case there is any wort going into the line (some sort of accident), or any condensation.

I have also tried the conical and all rounder and I was never satisfied with either of them, I find that a SS kegmenter is the way to go, for me at least.

Yeah fair point @kmar92, I will rectify. 

• Like 2

I finally got around to putting together the Hop Slam IPA (USA - Sequoia) Recipe of the Month from October last year.

Made as per recipe.  Almost had a mini boil over due to inattention.  Lots of clumping of the Coopers Light Dry Malt.  Otherwise it went well.  The Brew A IPA can smells strong. 

Fermenting in the garage inside a cardboard box, with a heat belt to keep warmth up, and ambient Melbourne temperatures to stop the brew getting too warm.  Hopefully it works.  The last brew I did was in a Keg King Snub Nose FV wrapped in a fermenter jacket.  I ended up ripping off the jacket because the heat created by the fermenting process got the brew up to 21°C.  The jacket did such a good job of keeping the cold air out, the cold air could not regulate the temperature.  That one did not drop back to my preferred 18°C until the fermentation was pretty much finished.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I finally got around to putting together the Hop Slam IPA (USA - Sequoia) Recipe of the Month from October last year.

Made as per recipe.  Almost had a mini boil over due to inattention.  Lots of clumping of the Coopers Light Dry Malt.  Otherwise it went well.  The Brew A IPA can smells strong. 

Fermenting in the garage inside a cardboard box, with a heat belt to keep warmth up, and ambient Melbourne temperatures to stop the brew getting too warm.  Hopefully it works.  The last brew I did was in a Keg King Snub Nose FV wrapped in a fermenter jacket.  I ended up ripping off the jacket because the heat created by the fermenting process got the brew up to 21°C.  The jacket did such a good job of keeping the cold air out, the cold air could not regulate the temperature.  That one did not drop back to my preferred 18°C until the fermentation was pretty much finished.

Sounds pretty awesome Shamus, from what I gather this is not an AG brew, not that it matters. The recipe suggests it will be a flavoursome brew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sounds pretty awesome Shamus, from what I gather this is not an AG brew, not that it matters. The recipe suggests it will be a flavoursome brew.

Yep, sure is a kit brew.  I have done a couple of the other Coopers Hop Slam recipes before and they were crackers.  Hence I thought I would give this latest one a try.

Just went  to dry hop my juice bigalow neipa  that was kindly donated to me by simple home brewing

dry hopped with 100gs each of mosaic and Citra   and when i opened upthe fv the small from the hopstand  of 100grams is smelling great.   really looking forward to this brew

T20220429_152122.thumb.jpg.da5e3cdba99077324c16fd2793e719c3.jpg

The photo just shown is from the start of fermentation

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Just went  to dry hop my juice bigalow neipa  that was kindly donated to me by simple home brewing

dry hopped with 100gs each of mosaic and Citra   and when i opened upthe fv the small from the hopstand  of 100grams is smelling great.   really looking forward to this brew

T20220429_152122.thumb.jpg.da5e3cdba99077324c16fd2793e719c3.jpg

The photo just shown is from the start of fermentation

How high did the Krausen get?  I did a recent brew of 29.5 litres, but not under pressure, that filled the head space and came out the blow off tube. I used Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell yeast. 

I did a previous 32 litre brew under pressure.  It also overflowed into the blow off and through the blow tie. I was worried about that happening again.  Therefore, this latest time, I reduced the volume and I didn't pressure ferment.  I thought the Snub Nose was safe at 30 litres of wort.  Maybe that's only if you are using pressure?  

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How high did the Krausen get?  I did a recent brew of 29.5 litres, but not under pressure, that filled the head space and came out the blow off tube. I used Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell yeast. 

I did a previous 32 litre brew under pressure.  It also overflowed into the blow off and through the blow tie. I was worried about that happening again.  Therefore, this latest time, I reduced the volume and I didn't pressure ferment.  I thought the Snub Nose was safe at 30 litres of wort.  Maybe that's only if you are using pressure?  

used the north east american ale yeast   from lallemend in this one  anf fv under pressure  with only 22litres in the snubby   using Rapt temp controller with a neipa profile

938986693_neipaprofile.thumb.jpg.906ff3ad413074fd6763e0462d74b387.jpg

dryhopday.jpg

As you can see in the top one i set the rapt controller to this profile  and when it increases/decreases temp it does it automaticly

The yeast didnt take of quick but when it did  it really went well.  however being under presuure   and for the 1st 5 days being at 18°c  would have effected in some degree  and the yeast wasnt overly vigourous where its climbing out  plus alot of head space in FV as well

its got 2 days at current temp before it cold crashes to 14 °c    then will crash it down to said temp for a few more days  

but kra

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 2

Just now, DavidM said:

Come on Phil, what did you put in it?

Give us K&K's the run down.

OK, the 1.7 can of Coopers Stout, 1.3 Mangrove Jacks LME Dark pouch, 500gm Coopers Light Dry Malt, Supplied yeast, yeast enhancer.

I am hoping to bring this up to at least 6.5 % ABV. I am sure the brewing pundits out there will let me know. it started at 1.044 - 23l.

The airlock started working in about 30 minutes, it would be awesome to keg.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The airlock started working in about 30 minutes, it would be awesome to keg.

Phil, you might want to put that fermenter inside a plastic tub or something in case the Krausen tries to escape from the airlock.  Alternatively a bit of tubing from the airlock hole into a jug 1/4 full of sanitiser would collect any excess pretty well.  I even put the jug into another plastic bucket/tub in case the foam overflows the jug.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Phil, you might want to put that fermenter inside a plastic tub or something in case the Krausen tries to escape from the airlock.  Alternatively a bit of tubing from the airlock hole into a jug 1/4 full of sanitiser would collect any excess pretty well.  I even put the jug into another plastic bucket/tub in case the foam overflows the jug.

Hi Shamus, I do appreciate your point, I only used the supplied yeast & there is quite a gap between the 23l level & the top.

I will keep an eye on it but I am thinking it should be OK in this size fermenter.

Thanks for your input,  Cheers.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I might have to get one of these Pills.  Once I change the temperature in my brews the SG readings from my iSpindels change, even after FG is reached.

the pills are great   for the price tag  and the good thing is if you pick a fault or need a new feature  kegland and developer will listen and may implement  your suggestion 

i also am making my inkbird wifi  temp controllers redundant  as i love being able to set a profile on the rapt temp controller   so its set and forget  and not only that you can create your own custom profiles   as well  you can link the pill as well to the temp controller

even my tilt hydrometer is being made redundant now  

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 8:09 PM, RDT2 said:

Philly sour beer transferred to new fermenter with Raspberries added in a bag. Looks good taking on the colour already can’t wait!

9C238FED-EFF4-4CD0-9DF0-76C7F6056ED2.jpeg

Hi @RDT2, I know this is not on the topic of your brew; but I notice you have a heat mat sitting sideways next to your FV.  Is this the main way you control the temperature of your brews in colder weather??

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Hi @RDT2, I know this is not on the topic of your brew; but I notice you have a heat mat sitting sideways next to your FV.  Is this the main way you control the temperature of your brews in colder weather??

Hi @jennyss.
It's a personal choice and I'm not going to say it's right or wrong.
What @RDT2 has done by placing the pad in the fridge and not under the FV is kept the air temperature around the brew warm. This avoids creating a slow cooker effect that placing the mat underneath might create.
I use a heat belt and put it on the lid or high on the FV above the wort for the same reason. Whether the slow cooker effect is real or perceived, I have no idea, but it sounds logical to me so I don't put the heat source directly on the wort.
Many brewers will put their mat or belt on the brew and say they have no problems. This method would probably use less power because the heat goes more directly to the wort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jennyss said:

Hi @jennyss I just sit it next to the fermenter and have a heat probe attached to the side of the fermenter which is connected to the inkbird and turns the pad or fridge on as required. It’s works really well as it’s a small fridge and doesn’t have any contact with the beer. It also works well if I use kveik at 35 degrees c also!

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1