Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I appreciate the tips, I am still a bit nervous/unsure of a few things but I will watch a few more videos & as you say complete each step manually. Everything is set but I need to make sure I get it right & it should start making sense, Cheers.

mate  perfection isn't going to happen in the 1st   attempt mate no matter how many video's you watch.  i wish that was the case.

having said that you will have made beer

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

A goober?!! That's Rob Morrison, former Curiosity Show presenter. He's a science legend.

I found it quite reassuring... of that time before the internet existed, and you had to watch TV at the time they transmitted the shows. Those were the days...Mind you, no internet = no Coopers forums

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I found it quite reassuring... of that time before the internet existed, and you had to watch TV at the time they transmitted the shows. Those were the days...Mind you, no internet = no Coopers forums

I reckon I learnt more science from Rob and Dean Hutton on Curiosity Show than what I learnt in any science lessons at school.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

going to do a dry run ( with just water ) to get the feel of it, check for leaks, work out the temps/control panel & pump. I reckon it should be plain sailing. 

Hey there @Classic Brewing Co CBC Master Brewer : )

Mate I cannot agree with you more - that is by far the best way forward - maybe more of a 'wet run' than a 'dry run' 😁

but yeah doing it ohne grains and just with the water and the right temps mate... do it hot so you give the machine a go and also know what you are dealing with in handling hot kit...

@ozdevil Ozzie can help you with the specifics 👍 as I know far call about the Gorilla... but I do know that doing a run with the hot water is useful... and go through the motions of lifting out what will hold the grain ulitmately - knowing that it will be full with around say maybe up to 8kg of hot product... you know what I mean mate.... just so you can get the gear sussed out but also the Health and Safety perspectives 👍

Safety First Production Will Follow 🤣

@Red devil 44 I think @Red devil 44 Reddler will have come across these industrial Safety Mantras before haha! 😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hey there @Classic Brewing Co CBC Master Brewer : )

Mate I cannot agree with you more - that is by far the best way forward - maybe more of a 'wet run' than a 'dry run' 😁

but yeah doing it ohne grains and just with the water and the right temps mate... do it hot so you give the machine a go and also know what you are dealing with in handling hot kit...

@ozdevil Ozzie can help you with the specifics 👍 as I know far call about the Gorilla... but I do know that doing a run with the hot water is useful... and go through the motions of lifting out what will hold the grain ulitmately - knowing that it will be full with around say maybe up to 8kg of hot product... you know what I mean mate.... just so you can get the gear sussed out but also the Health and Safety perspectives 👍

Safety First Production Will Follow 🤣

@Red devil 44 I think @Red devil 44 Reddler will have come across these industrial Safety Mantras before haha! 😋

Cheers IP all makes sense I have been watching BrewZilla tutorials on YouTube on my 65 inch Ultra HD 4k TV & it has given me a larger picture ( pardon the pun ) & put it more in perspective so I am a lot clearer now than before. Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

put it more in perspective

Haha mate @Classic Brewing Co yes seems you are definitely getting 'the Big Picture' haha! 🥳

And slightly better quality than my festive somewhat smaller Aldi TV - which I am still pretty happy with 🤣

But yeah - good stuff - a fail to plan is a plan to fail... and good frame of ref and background and some testing... will be v useful to have going into the first sesh : )

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3

I just got back from Big W for some 20% off ingredients for a quick Pale Ale, I will dry hop with Galaxy on day 4 as I did last brew, it was good. Biggest problem is I am running out of bottles as I have done a few brews in the last 2-3 weeks, got plenty of Grolsch & PET for back up otherwise I will have to drink faster to free up the longnecks. 🤣

20220322_134106.thumb.jpg.d206130ea2acd0af4482925cf9a56a2b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Dropped in the 30g Cascade dry hop to the red ale today, will drop it down for a cold crash tomorrow. The pilsner is already at lagering temperature so it can have its polyclar whenever and go into a keg whenever. 

I was gonna do a brew day on Saturday but the yard needs some attention so I'll have to wait another couple of weeks since the monthly medal is on next Saturday. 

• Like 5

I just put the Coopers Pale Ale together - discounted from Big W yesterday, purely for back up stock as I have been busy the last couple of weeks gathering nut's for May 🥜 so to speak, I have pretty much the full set of Ales - Pale/Dark/Real/Bitter etc.

It could be the last k & k brew for a while so it will be good to have stocks when I fire up the BrewZilla, Cheers.

20220323_154040 (2).jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It could be the last k & k brew for a while so it will be good to have stocks when I fire up the BrewZilla, Cheers.

i might race you  to see who fires up there new brewzillas 1st lol

Edited by ozdevil
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i might race you  to see who fires up there new brewzillas 1st lol

Yeah I am dragging it out a bit definitely tomorrow I am getting my water ready & doing a dry (water) run I I nearly ordered a 28l electric water urn from crazy sales on the net but it would take to long to ship, I think I have got enough Dutch ovens/pots to heat sparge water.

So I will give it a go.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I am dragging it out a bit definitely tomorrow I am getting my water ready & doing a dry (water) run I I nearly ordered a 28l electric water urn from crazy sales on the net but it would take to long to ship, I think I have got enough Dutch ovens/pots to heat sparge water.

So I will give it a go.

you know you dont have to sparge with hot water you can use cold water   just means it will take longer to get to the boil

• Like 2

K2 has cleared up nicely and hopefully will go into the keg shortly ; )

The Lally LalBrew Premium Köln Yeast seems to flocc out quite nicely with a bit of chillin' time despite Lallemand advising it being only a medium floccer 👍

Am hoping for a nice colour in the final Brew and a little lighter than K1 🙂

Once kegged then aiming to backfill the FV with an Altbier Wort all going well.... 

image.thumb.png.42c11ae7d33faae1063c2a556dd979de.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

How far has the gravity dropped since the Brett pitch? Brett should take it down to 1.002 or even below that. 

I started at 1.052 OG and pitched the White Bastogne. Four days later I pitched the Brett. TBH I didn’t check just before the second pitch. It’s at about 21-22 degrees. Hopefully it’ll go down quite a bit more over the next 5 weeks 🤞

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

I started at 1.052 OG and pitched the White Bastogne. Four days later I pitched the Brett. TBH I didn’t check just before the second pitch. It’s at about 21-22 degrees. Hopefully it’ll go down quite a bit more over the next 5 weeks 🤞

Oh it will definitely go down. No doubt about that. Just might be a slow burn depending on how many cells you pitched. With a brett only fermentation it takes 2 or 3 weeks and that's with like a 3L starter so likely more cells than you pitched. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Oh it will definitely go down. No doubt about that. Just might be a slow burn depending on how many cells you pitched. With a brett only fermentation it takes 2 or 3 weeks and that's with like a 3L starter so likely more cells than you pitched. 

Cheers mate, I'm waiting impatienty 😉

I didn't make a starter for any of the yeasts. Hopefully they'll ferment out. If it goes down to 1.002, there wouldn't be much left to deal with the sugar in the bottle conditioning, would there ?

I just made a starter for my weekend's brew, which will either be a Westvleteren 12 or a St Bernardus 12. The yeast is a WLP530. It's growing nicely, obviously a starter is better for such a strong brew.

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

With a brett only fermentation it takes 2 or 3 weeks and that's with like a 3L starter so likely more cells than you pitched. 

I'm wondering if it's worth getting a stir plate. I see that @iBooz2 made his own, and I've seen other photos. One of the problems I have with starters is getting prepped three days before the brew, sometimes I forget. When I do a brew day (Saturday or Sunday), sometimes I fancy making a recipe on the spur of the moment. Probably why I've got several kegs of ale/bitters all ready to drink, when in fct I might fancy something using a Coopers Commercial yeast starter (and I forgot to start it off 3 days prior), as I just pitch a pack of Notto into the ales.

33 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I'm wondering if it's worth getting a stir plate. I see that @iBooz2 made his own, and I've seen other photos. One of the problems I have with starters is getting prepped three days before the brew, sometimes I forget. When I do a brew day (Saturday or Sunday), sometimes I fancy making a recipe on the spur of the moment. Probably why I've got several kegs of ale/bitters all ready to drink, when in fct I might fancy something using a Coopers Commercial yeast starter (and I forgot to start it off 3 days prior), as I just pitch a pack of Notto into the ales.

Yeah I made my own too. They are piss easy to make. All you really need is a computer fan and a strong magnet plus a power source. I had a variable voltage adapter which wasn't doing anything to use that to control my speeds but you can go get a dial from an electronics store. Then fashion up a box and solder it all up and away you go really. The stir bars you can get on ebay. The stir bars is the only thing I had to buy but if you don't have a computer fan laying around they are only 10 bucks or so. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Cheers mate, I'm waiting impatienty 😉

I didn't make a starter for any of the yeasts. Hopefully they'll ferment out. If it goes down to 1.002, there wouldn't be much left to deal with the sugar in the bottle conditioning, would there ?

I just made a starter for my weekend's brew, which will either be a Westvleteren 12 or a St Bernardus 12. The yeast is a WLP530. It's growing nicely, obviously a starter is better for such a strong brew.

No there will still be enough. I bottled my flanders reds and they carb up albeit slow. Took about 5 weeks to get it carbed up. If your impatient then you could put in another yeast at bottling time.

WLP530 is a nice yeast. Have used many times. Throws a huge krausen on ocassion. Used by westmalle, Westvleteren and Achel but at different pitch rates and different temperatures so they all taste slightly different

• Thanks 1