Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate I am still confused you said to extend the overflow pipe but that raises it too high I thought ???

20220316_171502.jpg

when  you start   extend it right out  ( will make it easier for you and if your doing a mash with 5kg you dont want to be diving your hands in 65°c water or grain and pulling it out)

when you have finished adding the grain and stirred the doughballs out and all the grain is wet   

you place  the top screen on  then the small pipe on the overflow  and push down the overflow so that the top screen and the small pipe are sitting on the grain

the only time you wont extend it if ya only doing a small mash of less then 3kg

it will make more sense when you go to brew   

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate I am still confused you said to extend the overflow pipe but that raises it too high I thought ???

FFS @Classic Brewing Co can you start your own thread on this subject (like I did when I went AG) perhaps something like Classic's AG Conundrums?  Ask and get answers over there?

Whilst I appreciate your excitement, anticipation and all the questions re your AG stuff, but you have inadvertently (or intentionally) swerved like a drunken driver across six or more threads now (I've lost count) disrupting along the way all the original thread topics in the process. 

Its starting to slip my clutch.

• Haha 3

IP Brewing Three FVs now progressing well... Aussie Thinboy LHS slowing down on the Bubbler, K2 (centre) pretty well done after a few days a few degrees higher -- cooling down again and starting to flocc, and in honour of St Patrick's Day I bombed the Amber Ale RHS with 150g of Mozzie... Might hafta call it Green Mozzie Ale in honour of the special day : ) 

Kegging in 3 days for the Moz and then a few days later keg-on-up the other two 👍

image.thumb.png.e02cf0992d57d8add604166cd3b37254.png

• Like 5

Hop It Like Its Hot - XPA

Just a kit job, that gets the job done!

1. 1.7kg coopers pale ale extract tin
  2. BE#3
  3.  150g white shugar 
  4. 250g carapils malt steeped 30m at 65 degrees 
  5. 25g simcoe steeped just below boil 30 mins
  6. A teaspoon of nutrient
  7. Voss kveik ( mine is reused for 1.5 years)
  8. 100g centennial dry hop
  9. 25g simcoe dry hop

Crack your grain, steep  for 30 mins at 65, remove bag and  boil 5 mins . Put 25g simcoe in empty bag and steep for 30 mins in that just boiled water .

Pitch at 40, insulate WELL and let it ride for 3 days. On the evening of day 3 strip the insulation ( wool jumper and thick judo jacket) and let cool overnight. On the morning of day 4 dry hop, and bottle on day 7 or 8 . Rinse the hopsock through with boiled water when bulkpriming  to get the last of goodness out. 

6 days in the bottle and 1 night in fridge. 

Get THAT in ya!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BreweyMcHops said:

2. BE#3
  3.  150g white shugar 
  9. 25g simcoe dry hop

Crack your grain, steep  for 30 mins at 65, remove bag and  boil 5 mins . Put 25g simcoe in empty bag and steep for 30 mins in that just boiled water .

Pitch at 40, insulate WELL and let it ride for 3 days. On the evening of day 3 strip the insulation ( wool jumper and thick judo jacket) and let cool overnight. On the morning of day 4 dry hop, and bottle on day 7 or 8 . Rinse the hopsock through with boiled water when bulkpriming  to get the last of goodness out. 

Get THAT in ya!

What a Cracker K&K Brew

And thanks for describing the process

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BreweyMcHops said:

2. BE#3
  3.  150g white shugar 
  9. 25g simcoe dry hop

Get THAT in ya!

nice.. never actually realised kveik voss was fast on secondary bottle fermentation also

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Brewdog does not seem to be too concerned @iBooz2 Boozer ; )

@Itinerant Peasant Ha ha...   Brewdog look like he/she is "livin the dream" there IP.   Pic reminds me of my sons dog when she was a young pup,  is always glad to see me and get a good friendly scruff.  Give Brewdog a scruff from me will you.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

As long as it is not starting to slip your diff you should be right mate 😆

image.thumb.png.2ca23c5c7af14850c72a2279629d8c15.png

Ah he’s a fine looking hound (brauen hund) there IP. I believe he may be waiting for his next command, eager to please the brew master!!

They are good company for sure 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Brew dog looks very content mate - a picture of happiness right there. You done good there IP - love ya work!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back to the future - Stone & Wood Pacific Ale Clone kit beer

• 1.7kg Morgans Pacific Pale Ale
  • 1.5kg Morgans Wheat Master Malt
  • 600g Light Dry Malt
  • 250g Carapils 30 min steep @60-70°C
  • 15g Morgans American Ale yeast
  • 24g Galaxy dry hop
  • 12g Cascade dry hop

I tweaked this to give me 27 litres @ 1.043 OG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Back to the future - Stone & Wood Pacific Ale Clone kit beer

• 1.7kg Morgans Pacific Pale Ale
  • 1.5kg Morgans Wheat Master Malt
  • 600g Light Dry Malt
  • 250g Carapils 30 min steep @60-70°C
  • 15g Morgans American Ale yeast
  • 24g Galaxy dry hop
  • 12g Cascade dry hop

I tweaked this to give me 27 litres @ 1.043 OG

Shamus let me know how this goes mate. Looks yummbo. 

• Like 1

Kegged-on-up the Amber Mozzie...  dropped in a good wallop of Mosaic for the last 3 days so hopefully the Beer will have a reasonable aroma... at the start of the keg at least.  The spent Hops and last dregs in the FV did smell very nice of Mozzie 

image.thumb.png.31e32e6844abcf5be41ff9e1d39a0a74.png

• Like 3

Transferred my AG Samuel Adam’s Boston Lager from Cube to Fermenter, just pulling down temp to 13 degrees and pitch 2 x Saflager 34/70 Yeast. 
OG - 1042 

My good wife will dry hop mid week for me 30g of Hallertau & Tettnang as I shall be away working. 
2nd version of this, first one was superb. 

• Like 3

On 3/17/2022 at 1:30 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

The assistant brewer is such a nice dog. I mean look at him, he's just awesome. Even when he's had a shave, he's fluffy and all 🙂 

• Haha 3

On 3/7/2022 at 5:50 PM, Space said:

I'mjust waiting a few more for my latest to clear a little before bottling.  It is supposed to be my amateur attempt at a Japanese type lager.

MJ54 yeast.  Coopers Cerveza kit.  1.2kg LME.  500g Coopers BE2.

15g x 20 boil of Sorachi Ace + 20 minute 80c steep of same + dry hop of 45g Lemondrop.

Do you know that thing when you just sip a bit out of the trial jar to check the taste and you end up drinking it all?  Well that happened.  IT's not bad but maybe a tiny bit too bitter than the 1980s/1990s Sapporo that I was aiming at (although my of that taste may be vague). 

I think the next brew I do is going to be an IPA but with a similar hop mix. 

I guess I need to report that this turned out absolutely nothing like the lager it was supposed to.  It's more like an IPA - I guess that's down to the LME fermentable.   And I don't care, because it tastes really very nice.   The only thing I'd change is that 20 minute steep of Ace.   I might make this happy little accident again with small tweaks to the hopping. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah she’s a good one 🙏

I guess that would make a lot of difference RD, I have a couple of mates who are always getting nagged from SWMBO, one guy brews in his shed & he is not allowed to bring anything in to the house even has to use the garden hose & a make do sink 😐 She hates the idea of him 'wasting time' on his hobby.  That would make life difficult I would think, no wonder he drinks !! 😬

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just bottled my Coopers Dark Ale so I feel like I am catching up on stocks since the move, I now have in bottles;

Bavarian Wheat Beer

Coopers Real Ale

Coopers English Bitter

Coopers Dark Ale 

I will be doing a Pale Ale this week followed by a Stout so things are looking up. 😀

is the 1st all grain phil

• Like 1

Just now, ozdevil said:

is the 1st all grain phil

Not yet mate, the birthday got in the road it was on Sunday but mates starting ringing me to have beers starting Friday then Saturday & of course Sunday 🙃 so I am going to do a dry run ( with just water ) to get the feel of it, check for leaks, work out the temps/control panel & pump. I reckon it should be plain sailing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Not yet mate, the birthday got in the road it was on Sunday but mates starting ringing me to have beers starting Friday then Saturday & of course Sunday 🙃 so I am going to do a dry run ( with just water ) to get the feel of it, check for leaks, work out the temps/control panel & pump. I reckon it should be plain sailing. 

1 thing   to warned of  pull the recirc arm out before turning pump off  , if you dont the recirc tube acts like a vacuum cleaner and will get grain in your pump

in your  test run turn pump on from the pump switch and turn off from the pump switch and leave the valve open  in your test run and watch what happens (only so it with water)

mate my advice  is to run manually  for each step you will have more control

i havent used the auto mode  with the bz35l   in my life of brewing manual is just more convienient

if going from mash in to mash out  i normally wait till its all at temp before doing a 10 or 20 minute mash out

anyway just few extra free tips phil   

i am really looking forward to your 1st brew mate done in the bz35

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

1 thing   to warned of  pull the recirc arm out before turning pump off  , if you dont the recirc tube acts like a vacuum cleaner and will get grain in your pump

in your  test run turn pump on from the pump switch and turn off from the pump switch and leave the valve open  in your test run and watch what happens (only so it with water)

mate my advice  is to run manually  for each step you will have more control

i havent used the auto mode  with the bz35l   in my life of brewing manual is just more convienient

if going from mash in to mash out  i normally wait till its all at temp before doing a 10 or 20 minute mash out

anyway just few extra free tips phil   

i am really looking forward to your 1st brew mate done in the bz35

I appreciate the tips, I am still a bit nervous/unsure of a few things but I will watch a few more videos & as you say complete each step manually. Everything is set but I need to make sure I get it right & it should start making sense, Cheers.

• Like 3