Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2022?

Shamus O'Sean

On 3/4/2022 at 11:49 AM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

This is the Brew bag. I ordered it online from the Brew shed. You just put some 2 L milk bottles with frozen water inside, every bottle brings the temperature down by about 2°. It is so easy and it works.

yes, I also used Lalle Kolsch yeast for the first brew.

I won’t dry hop today, it is still too active.

og was 1052, today it’s on 1024.

Fg is supposedly 1018 or less. It is tasting good , fresh and sweet.

on the left is a Smoty AleC276704A-7090-45CD-B86E-88AC25053A74.thumb.jpeg.7d81e5d935dd0e186de88ab0bf10e619.jpeg

Dry hopped today with experimental New Zealand hops. Overnight the gravity dropped from 1022 to 1018. 

• Like 1

Now all of you AG Brewers can have a bit of a laugh, this is my first attempt to add a recipe to Brewfather, it is about as far as I got & it has even it has changed some of the figures I entered e.g.  Grain bill entries, boil times, hop quantities etc but I am sure it is my fault.

I wasn't aware that you had to estimate an original gravity not to mention heaps of other things, so I will have to study the help section of the app much more 😬 

Brewfather_AmericanPaleAle_20220306.pdf

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Now all of you AG Brewers can have a bit of a laugh, this is my first attempt to add a recipe to Brewfather, it is about as far as I got & it has even it has changed some of the figures I entered e.g.  Grain bill entries, boil times, hop quantities etc but I am sure it is my fault.

I wasn't aware that you had to estimate an original gravity not to mention heaps of other things, so I will have to study the help section of the app much more 😬 

Brewfather_AmericanPaleAle_20220306.pdf 110.37 kB · 7 downloads

Your kilos and grams are about face 🙂

Pale malt should be kilos, other two grams. Otherwise looks good.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Using your recipe @Classic Brewing Co i came up with this.

Phils.JPG

I really appreciate your input, I am afraid I am shooting in the dark here, I can not make any sense of it ATM, I have attached the recipe that came with the kit, I can't seem to enter the right data in there & when I do it presents other figures FFS, I know it's not hard I just haven't got it right. Thanks a lot for bothering.

20220306_160937.thumb.jpg.9f0101a0b3b42c7322ac38fe72481568.jpg

• Like 1

Hi @Classic Brewing Co, Have a look at some of David Heath Homebrew and The Home Brew Network YouTube videos on Brewfather.  

Typically you select your equipment profile first and adjust it to the recipe you are doing.  The main thing to change is Batch Size.  If you change it after you have added in ingredients, Brewfather asks you if you want to "scale" your recipe.  Saying "yes" adjusts the ingredient amounts to the new "profile".  That can throw things about a bit.

Note that when you create a new recipe, you select the equipment profile (although if you have set a profile as your default, it will always come up).  Making changes in your Profile configuration within the recipe editing mode does not make changes to the original equipment profile.

I am not sure why your recipe would show 272 kilograms of Briess Victory and Crystal, but only 440g Pale Malt.  Something is screwy there.

Check out some of the YouTube videos and have another go tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi @Classic Brewing Co, Have a look at some of David Heath Homebrew and The Home Brew Network YouTube videos on Brewfather.  

Typically you select your equipment profile first and adjust it to the recipe you are doing.  The main thing to change is Batch Size.  If you change it after you have added in ingredients, Brewfather asks you if you want to "scale" your recipe.  Saying "yes" adjusts the ingredient amounts to the new "profile".  That can throw things about a bit.

Note that when you create a new recipe, you select the equipment profile (although if you have set a profile as your default, it will always come up).  Making changes in your Profile configuration within the recipe editing mode does not make changes to the original equipment profile.

I am not sure why your recipe would show 272 kilograms of Briess Victory and Crystal, but only 440g Pale Malt.  Something is screwy there.

Check out some of the YouTube videos and have another go tomorrow.

OK thanks Shamus, what you say is correct as I am guilty of doing what you said, it did mention scaling, I will delete it & start again.

I appreciate your help. I have watched a few videos but need to keep doing it. 📺

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK thanks Shamus, what you say is correct as I am guilty of doing what you said, it did mention scaling, I will delete it & start again.

I appreciate your help. I have watched a few videos but need to keep doing it. 📺

As i am a brewzilla 35l user and i have every thing set up properly to my knowledge

This is for your exact recipe done in Brewfather   and its scaled to 22 litres

1375479939_philsApa2.jpg.a32a6bb7002db8af42d24133d60de8e0.jpg

what you will need to do is when heating your mash water is bring the mash water to around 71°c  this is the strike water
once the grain is in  and you have finished mashing the grains your mash temp will be at 68°c  for your 60 minutes mash in

mash out isnt necessary but you can add it in if you wish or  just go straight to sparge

during mash  in   bring 9.23l to 68°c  for your sparge water

Raise your mash tun  and allow it to drain , This will be a great time to set your bz35l to HH,  and slowly pour your  9.23l  into the mash tun  and let that completely drain   then remove the mash tun

once sparging is complete next stage is the Boil

once you have got  your rolling boil and have avoided the dreaded boil over (spray bottle of water or sanitiser will do the trick)
this is the start of the 60 min boil and time to put the 1st additions of hops in

15minutes to go to end of boil add your 15 min addition

flame out/end of boil its time for your  last additions

also with about 10 minutes to go will be the perfect opportunity to sanitise your immersion chiller wether you  are going to flow  wort through  a esky full of ICE  or you are just going   or you are going to immerse the immersion chiller in the wort and flow water through the imersion chiller

after your last addition  its time to chill to pitching temp so you can pitch your yeast

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

As i am a brewzilla 35l user and i have every thing set up properly to my knowledge

what you will need to do is when heating your mash water is bring the mash water to around 71°c  this is the strike water
once the grain is in  and you have finished mashing the grains your mash temp will be at 68°c  for your 60 minutes mash in

mash out isnt necessary but you can add it in if you wish or  just go straight to sparge

Raise your mash tun  and allow it to drain , This will be a great time to set your bz35l to HH,  and slowly pour your  9.23l  into the mash tun  and let that completely drain   then remove the mash tun

once you have got  your rolling boil and have avoided the dreaded boil over (spray bottle of water or sanitiser will do the trick)
this is the start of the 60 min boil and time to put the 1st additions of hops in

also with about 10 minutes to go will be the perfect opportunity to sanitise your immersion chiller wether you  are going to flow  wort through  a esky full of ICE  or you are just going   or you are going to immerse the immersion chiller in the wort and flow water through the imersion chiller

after your last addition  its time to chill to pitching temp so you can pitch your yeast

Well done fella nice explanation 👍 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

@ozdevilThat is fantastic, Thank You.

Looking at your recipe makes things a lot clearer & your detailed explanation is more than helpful. I will follow it the best I can.

Looking at it in 3 basic steps makes it look a lot easier as I feel I have been worrying a bit too much about all of the details. By the time my unit get's here I reckon I will be ready to tackle the first brew without slipping up an an important step or overlook something.

I really appreciate your time & effort so thanks heaps again.

This only cements what I & others have said on here many times, there is a mountain of help & knowledge available on this great forum & at this time I need it as much as anyone.

Cheers

Phil.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@ozdevilThat is fantastic, Thank You.

Looking at your recipe makes things a lot clearer & your detailed explanation is more than helpful. I will follow it the best I can.

Looking at it in 3 basic steps makes it look a lot easier as I feel I have been worrying a bit too much about all of the details. By the time my unit get's here I reckon I will be ready to tackle the first brew without slipping up an an important step or overlook something.

I really appreciate your time & effort so thanks heaps again.

This only cements what I & others have said on here many times, there is a mountain of help & knowledge available on this great forum & at this time I need it as much as anyone.

Cheers

Phil.

Phil

it is daunting for all of us that start to go A.G.  I have Gash from the "The Homebrew Network"  to thank in getting me to the point i am today.  

dont overload yourself with to much information.  your mistakes can be fixed  even if your target S.G was meant to be 1.050  and you only got 1.040 for s.g you still have made beer   

hitting your Target numbers at the start  is important but not the be all end all

Here is The Homebrew Network with Gash  with 2 part youtube  doing a Pale ale.   unfortunately its not the BZ35l   but its big brother  bz 65l  however the Principles are the same...  Mind you Gash Talks and gets side tracked a bit.  but  he is very easy to learn from specially his early videos  

Part 2

mate enjoy , relax  your going to be fine   and your recipe is pretty straight forward and easy one

cheers
Mick (oz)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Phil

it is daunting for all of us that start to go A.G.  I have Gash from the "The Homebrew Network"  to thank in getting me to the point i am today.  

dont overload yourself with to much information.  your mistakes can be fixed  even if your target S.G was meant to be 1.050  and you only got 1.040 for s.g you still have made beer   

hitting your Target numbers at the start  is important but not the be all end all

Here is The Homebrew Network with Gash  with 2 part youtube  doing a Pale ale.   unfortunately its not the BZ35l   but its big brother  bz 65l  however the Principles are the same...  Mind you Gash Talks and gets side tracked a bit.  but  he is very easy to learn from specially his early videos  

Part 2

mate enjoy , relax  your going to be fine   and your recipe is pretty straight forward and easy one

cheers
Mick (oz)

Cheers for that I have seen quite a few videos already, not that one in case the measurements confused me however I may pick up valuable information from it. The vids on KL website are also helpful, unfortunately some of them I can't watch due to the dreaded Green Screen Problem, my graphics card is fine but maybe it needs updating. I have tried disabling hardware acceleration but I need to see if Microsoft Edge is in the list under Graphic settings.

Again thanks for your help. Cheers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Great work Oz mate, Like Phil, I'm so appreciative of these explanations, for a K&K brewer these tips are invaluable when we decide to go AG. Thanks Mick (Oz)

• Like 4

Bottle and wash and Brew day.

Bottled a Coopers Pale and a Woolies Lager, Put another Pale straight onto the dirty Pale, 1k LDM 200g Dextrose, 200g Carapils boiled for 10 min and forgot the hops, I'll dry hop later.

Cleaned up the Lager Fv and put in a Woolies Draught, 500g LDM 100g dextrose, 100g Carapils boiled for 10min and 20g of Bravo hops as a tea. 

This is the Lager FV, not seen this before, I sieved off most of it but wondering what it is?

20220306_122315.thumb.jpg.07b690be4bedeb373c8cababa18960cf.jpg

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bottled a Coopers Pale and a Woolies Lager, Put another Pale straight onto the dirty Pale, 1k LDM 200g Dextrose, 200g Carapils boiled for 10 min and forgot the hops, I'll dry hop later.

Cleaned up the Lager Fv and put in a Woolies Draught, 500g LDM 100g dextrose, 100g Carapils boiled for 10min and 20g of Bravo hops as a tea. 

This is the Lager FV, not seen this before, I sieved off most of it but wondering what it is?

Hi David.
I've never had anything like that form on my brews but it doesn't look great. I'm just wondering if you sampled the beer before bottling in case it had gone bad?

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think it looks like un-dissolved Dextrose but that should mix in easy, it may clean up in the bottle, the yeast would have gone to the bottom.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DavidM said:

May be pellicle, though I am not sure. Pellicle formation is usually just cosmetic and should not affect the beer, especially if you did not get it in the bottles. It can be caused by oxygen in the ferment vessel.

• Thanks 1

This is the Brew bag. I ordered it online from the Brew shed. You just put some 2 L milk bottles with frozen water inside, every bottle brings the temperature down by about 2°. It is so easy and it works.

on the left is a Smoty AleC276704A-7090-45CD-B86E-88AC25053A74.thumb.jpeg.7d81e5d935dd0e186de88ab0bf10e619.jpeg

Bottled the Smoty Ale today, OG 1044, FG 1010

I think it’s gonna be a nice drop

• Like 3

Bottled the Smoty Ale today, OG 1044, FG 1010

I think it’s gonna be a nice drop

• Like 2

I'mjust waiting a few more days for my latest to clear a little before bottling.  It is supposed to be my amateur attempt at a Japanese type lager.

MJ54 yeast.  Coopers Cerveza kit.  1.2kg LME.  500g Coopers BE2.

15g x 20 minute boil of Sorachi Ace + 20 minute 80c steep of same + dry hop of 45g Lemondrop.

Do you know that thing when you just sip a bit out of the trial jar to check the taste and you end up drinking it all?  Well that happened.  IT's not bad but maybe a tiny bit too bitter than the 1980s/1990s Sapporo that I was aiming at (although my memory of that taste may be vague). 

I think the next brew I do is going to be an IPA but with a similar hop mix. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DavidM said:

https://phdinbeer.com/2015/01/30/beer-microbiology-what-is-a-pellicle/

• Thanks 1