Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

48 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

It'll be my first foray into kegs so I won't have anything to compare them to. They better be good because I ordered 12 of the buggers.  😄 

if you've got 12 kegs then you've got time to explore the world of natural carbonation, saving your co2. i know nothing of this method as i only own 2 old kegs.. so mine are usually 3 days on 20psi, one day on 12. thunderbirds are go

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stickers said:

if you've got 12 kegs then you've got time to explore the world of natural carbonation, saving your co2. i know nothing of this method as i only own 2 old kegs.. so mine are usually 3 days on 20psi, one day on 12. thunderbirds are go

I'll save the natural carbonation for bottles, I think. One of the main reasons I wanted kegs was to get clearer beer. Although stouts and darks are an option for natural carbonation in the kegs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@disgruntled @Aussiekraut @Stickers
I assume these kegs being only 8 litres would take less gas to carbonate. Yes/no?

The pressure relief valve (PRV) that comes with the tapping head is rated at 35psi.  Meaning that slow forced carbonation is the go.

Probably 12 psi for for 5-6 days and then give it a try.  Because 12psi is a good general serving pressure, you could leave it at this pressure for ages and it should still produce a good beer whether at 5 days, 2 weeks 6 weeks or 12 weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MUZZY said:

It's kegging time 2022.
Yes.
Yes, it is.
I've finally crossed over to the dark side. 

274741383_720226432720666_8066481243629055458_n.jpg

You won't look back bottling sucks! I just ordered 1 of those 8lt kegs myself this morning, thought it would be good for bbqs or camping. 

Screenshot_20220304-071824_Outlook.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

You won't look back bottling sucks! I just ordered 1 of those 8lt kegs myself this morning, thought it would be good for bbqs or camping. 

I actually enjoy bottling but I do like clearer beers, thus the foray into kegs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The pressure relief valve (PRV) that comes with the tapping head is rated at 35psi.  Meaning that slow forced carbonation is the go.

Probably 12 psi for for 5-6 days and then give it a try.  Because 12psi is a good general serving pressure, you could leave it at this pressure for ages and it should still produce a good beer whether at 5 days, 2 weeks 6 weeks or 12 weeks.

Handy information to know. Thank you, Guru.

Marishka hargitay. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2022 at 4:04 PM, MUZZY said:

It's kegging time 2022.
Yes.
Yes, it is.

274741383_720226432720666_8066481243629055458_n.jpg

All the best and Good luck with the keg's

What could go wrong...

I'll keep washing bottles for a while yet.

looking forward to reading about your excellent beers and flowing keg's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Ha Ha Muzzy, keep us posted on your kegging adventure, as soon as my bank A/C get's over the last onslaught I probably will get some of those.

Keep us posted?! I somehow get the feeling I'll be on here asking more questions than Eddie McGuire. 😄 

• Haha 4

On 3/3/2022 at 4:34 PM, MUZZY said:

It's kegging time 2022.
Yes.
Yes, it is.

I picked up my two from Kegland today.  Their on-site pick-up lockers are so handy.

Here's one of them.  They will be useful for kegging the 4 - 5 litres left over from a 23 litre brew that will not fit in a 19 litre keg.

IMG_2866.JPG.013dea54bbadbf3a58b00ff3f6ff076e.JPG

• Like 3

I wonder how well that these PET kegs handle pressure without distorting, I will be very interested to hear results from those of you that have purchased them. I have had mixed results from the Fermzilla PV fermenters, sometimes they work really well and other times I struggle to get good seals on them and I put that down to the PET distorting under pressure and hence the "O" rings have no hope of sealing effectively.

Anyway the kegs look great and would be perfect for taking a brew somewhere as a traveller. I hope that they work well and look forward to your reviews.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I picked up my two from Kegland today.  Their on-site pick-up lockers are so handy.

Here's one of them.  They will be useful for kegging the 4 - 5 litres left over from a 23 litre brew that will not fit in a 19 litre keg.

IMG_2866.JPG.013dea54bbadbf3a58b00ff3f6ff076e.JPG

How soon do you think they'll be in use, Guru? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I wonder how well that these PET kegs handle pressure without distorting, I will be very interested to hear results from those of you that have purchased them. I have had mixed results from the Fermzilla PV fermenters, sometimes they work really well and other times I struggle to get good seals on them and I put that down to the PET distorting under pressure and hence the "O" rings have no hope of sealing effectively.

Anyway the kegs look great and would be perfect for taking a brew somewhere as a traveller. I hope that they work well and look forward to your reviews.

I wouldn't know cling wrap from vinyl but these kegs are described as mono polymer. Does this make them different from PET and maybe stronger perhaps? I'm hoping so.

• Like 1

They are described as a PET polymer and KL say they work well. I have no reason to think that they will not work well and being a much smaller cross section than a Fermzilla I am sure that they will be far more rigid @MUZZY.

I reckon that they will be great and I will definitely have them in my cart once I hear the thumbs up from you guys.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

How soon do you think they'll be in use, Guru? 

Hi Muzzy, Probably a month or two away.  That's because it is about that long before I will be doing a suitable 23 litre brew.  Current and next brews are 32 litres into 2 stainless steel kegs.  The brew after that is an Imperial Stout that I will bottle for aging purposes.  Then I have a high ABV Red IPA.  That's the one I will put in one of these kegs.

In the meantime, I guess I could buy a slab of whatever and pour most of the bottles/cans into one of these kegs and serve from it.

Regarding @kmar92's query and your reply, the kegs look and feel like a giant Coopers PET bottle.  I am a little bit worried about them sealing, because other than the posts and the PRV, the screw on connections do not have rubber seals.  I should probably do a pressure test with water and see how it goes.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Muzzy, Probably a month or two away.  That's because it is about that long before I will be doing a suitable 23 litre brew.  Current and next brews are 32 litres into 2 stainless steel kegs.  The brew after that is an Imperial Stout that I will bottle for aging purposes.  Then I have a high ABV Red IPA.  That's the one I will put in one of these kegs.

In the meantime, I guess I could buy a slab of whatever and pour most of the bottles/cans into one of these kegs and serve from it.

Regarding @kmar92's query and your reply, the kegs look and feel like a giant Coopers PET bottle.  I am a little bit worried about them sealing, because other than the posts and the PRV, the screw on connections do not have rubber seals.  I should probably do a pressure test with water and see how it goes.

So @Shamus O'Sean if you squeeze the keg it deflects like a Coopers PET bottle?

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I wouldn't be buying a slab to test them. A water pressure test sounds a good idea though.
My order has been picked and dispatched. Depending on the freight time I could have a brew in them in a few weeks I imagine.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

So @Shamus O'Sean if you squeeze the keg it deflects like a Coopers PET bottle?

Yes, pretty much.  Maybe these Kegs are a bit thicker.  It is hard to say for sure.

They are definitely thicker than some of the small PET bottles I use for pushing santiser through my beer lines.  I am pretty sure that these kegs will handle kegging pressures, structurally wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Fermzilla PV fermenters, sometimes they work really well and other times I struggle to get good seals on them and I put that down to the PET distorting under pressure and hence the "O" rings have no hope of sealing effectively.

Agreed wholeheartedly @kmar92 I sadly believe that the plazzi PFVs are rubbish... your SS version way better mate! 👍