Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

Starting a new thread off for 2022.

Link to last years kegging thread is here.

Kegged up 2 kegs of LL today and as I had to water this batch down with about 4 litres to hit 4.9 ABV I reckon will also get a dozen or more stubbies out of it.  Sample has cleared up very well and I reckon the DL yeast clears a bit better than Dubbya.  Both kegs being forced carbed at 40 psi until tomorrow night.

Tomorrow I will live dangerously and back fill with a dirty batch of same beer, got 2 x 22 L cubes waiting to go in.  This will be third dirty batch in a row and new ground for me with the big bad boy 58 L kegmenter so hoping it all turns out well.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Starting a new thread off for 2022.

Link to last years kegging thread is here.

Kegged up 2 kegs of LL today and as I had to water this batch down with about 4 litres to hit 4.9 ABV I reckon will also get a dozen or more stubbies out of it.  Sample has cleared up very well and I reckon the DL yeast clears a bit better than Dubbya.  Both kegs being forced carbed at 40 psi until tomorrow night.

Tomorrow I will live dangerously and back fill with a dirty batch of same beer, got 2 x 22 L cubes waiting to go in.  This will be third dirty batch in a row and new ground for me with the big bad boy 58 L kegmenter so hoping it all turns out well.

Yeah I have always stopped at 3. Never been game for a 4th try. They do make great lagers though by doing it. So much so that it's the only way I do lagers now. 3L starter for the first batch then campaign them up through dumping onto the cake

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Stickers said:

has anyone invested in keg jackets, and if so, are they worth it?

in what purpose mate

the jackets are insulator 

if kegging in Keezer or kegerator would never use

potable to keep the chill in yes

but main brewing it serves no  benefit to having jackets on kegs

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

in what purpose mate

the jackets are insulator

my beer fridge is outside in the garage and that gets considerably warmer in summer than winter as i am fast discovering. a $20 per keg investment might actually be worth it if they can shave a degree or more C° off my kegs in the long run...

• Like 1

I have one @Stickers , only used it once to take a keg to a BBQ.  Sat the whole thing in an old style garbage bin (brand new and clean) full of ice and it did the trick.  Could have also used a bucket of ice to chill the beer line but only thought of that later in the day.  Otherwise it worked ok.  Hard to get the jacket back off the keg when they are wet but if you take your time no damage done.  Never use it inside my fridges due to bulk.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

On R & R from today for a week.

Kegged my Juicy NEIPA All Grain.

Currently CC my AG Stone & Wood Clone so will keg in a few days.

Brew today tomorrow so on Friday I can sit in my pool, drink p#ss, and watch the poms get flogged again in the cricket ( from my pool ) 🍻🍻

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Red devil 44 lucky man watch cricket in pool. Because it's your pool and your drinking beer do you bother getting out for a wee?

Yes, @jamiek86because I have to get out to fill my schooner as the wife won’t fill it for me 🍻😂😂

Plan is to build a covered bar in my pool area, get my sparky mate to put power to it, then probably put the 2 tap Kegerator out there, leave my 4 tap keezer in my man cave  

Edited by Red devil 44
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

@jamiek86I do have an amazing wife mate, but I think she would draw the line at serving me schooners all day, worth a try though 😂😂😂😂

can't have an amazing wife then if she can't pour you a schooner while relaxing watching the cricket.

Mrs Ozd  doesnt even have to be asked  she looks at my glass   and says drink up time for another is it!

whom i to say no to

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Kegged up my Coopers Sparkling Ale this afternoon,  Batch #70 AG #29.  This is a true AG version and no added sugar like the last few batches so it will be interesting to see and compare the differences.  Also got 4 x 345 ml stubbies as travellers.  Harvested the CCA yeast trub for next time too but have been using this same reclaimed CCA since batch #53 July 2021 so may have to start afresh again soon.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 7

Hi keggers,

I think that I have a CO2 leak somewhere between the 2.4kg gas bottle and the keg.  My last bottle did not seem to last anywhere near as long as it has in the past.  Although this is my spare bottle that I use for odds and sods:  Pre-pressurising fermenters, pushing sanitiser out of kegs, purging bottles, etc.  So it is mostly turned off.  The leak must be really slow though because I lent this bottle and reg to my neighbour and he served a whole keg from it over a couple of weeks.

The leak might be from somewhere in the regulator.  How can I check for leaks from the reg?  Soapy spray?  Is it okay to immerse it in water? 

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The leak might be from somewhere in the regulator. 

If you haven't already done so you could do a pressure drop test. It means that you leave the regulator attached to the bottle.

You need to seal/block off the outlet side of the regulator where the outlet tube would attach.

Open the bottle and bring up the pressure up on the outlet gauge.

Test for leaks with soapy water at all joints.

Leave for 24 hours.

If the gauge/gauges drop any amount and the joints are tested to ensure no leakage, the gauge is leaking.

I don't know if the gauge is sealed against water getting in which may cause problems.

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi keggers,

I think that I have a CO2 leak somewhere between the 2.4kg gas bottle and the keg.  My last bottle did not seem to last anywhere near as long as it has in the past.  Although this is my spare bottle that I use for odds and sods:  Pre-pressurising fermenters, pushing sanitiser out of kegs, purging bottles, etc.  So it is mostly turned off.  The leak must be really slow though because I lent this bottle and reg to my neighbour and he served a whole keg from it over a couple of weeks.

The leak might be from somewhere in the regulator.  How can I check for leaks from the reg?  Soapy spray?  Is it okay to immerse it in water? 

dont immerse the regulator in water  its a shore way of making the regulator become an ornament

like @Pickles Jones and i would be doing this method as well

• Like 3

@Pickles Jones and @ozdevil thanks for the advice.  I will give Mr Pickles' process a go.  After I bring the outlet gauge up to pressure (say 20psi), do I turn the regulator tap back to zero, or leave it set at 20psi?

Could it leak from the diaphragm?  I replaced it about a year ago because it is an older secondhand regulator (Keg King Mk 3).  The outlet pressure needle was tending to bounce a round a little.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Pickles Jones and @ozdevil thanks for the advice.  I will give Mr Pickles' process a go.  After I bring the outlet gauge up to pressure (say 20psi), do I turn the regulator tap back to zero, or leave it set at 20psi?

Could it leak from the diaphragm?  I replaced it about a year ago because it is an older secondhand regulator (Keg King Mk 3).  The outlet pressure needle was tending to bounce a round a little.

if it holds at 20 psi  if you tap back  to zero

you just want to see if the pressure is holding

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I turn the regulator tap back to zero, or leave it set at 20psi?

I forgot to mention to turn the CO2 bottle off so the gauges are isolated and leave for 24hrs. You can check along the way to see if the gauges drop it may happen quickly. No need to back the pressure off.

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 3

On 1/12/2022 at 5:45 AM, jamiek86 said:

@Red devil 44 lucky man watch cricket in pool. Because it's your pool and your drinking beer do you bother getting out for a wee?

Do you reckon I bother getting out for a wee ?

crisps.thumb.jpg.8584c53fc6d42fa618529b283c7b01c4.jpg

It's only useful two months a year though (unless you've got a wetsuit, and you wouldn't want to be weeing in that - if it's your own one that is). 

I reckon RD can manage more than that...

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Kegged my experimental El Dorado pale ale today in my 1 gal keg. It was a 10 litre batch so I got 6 longnecks as well. Keg seems to be holding pressure so fingers crossed for the force carbonating part…

Hey Toner, that looks the business, where did you get that & how much are they, I want one !! I reckon I could play around with something like that. 

• Like 4