Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

kegged my kveik hop slam ipa today    sitting now at 2°c  with 12 psi going into the keg  poured a little  in to a butcher glass   

its tasting good part from the hop burn but by the time i get back to tassie it will be carbed and ready  to go  trying save most of this for April    mind you i should have a couple of kegs on the go by then   as i have some golfing  friends over in  April for a bbq

• Like 1

Just kegged my AG Samuel Adam’s Boston Lager Clone.

‘Nearly 4 weeks in the fermenter, so well & truly finished.

Lovely and golden, smells divine, came in at 5.9% ABV 

Looking forward to this one.

Fermented with 2 packs of Safale 34/70@11 degrees 

Edited by Red devil 44
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

What product are we cleaning the inside of a keg with? TIA

+1 on using PBW for keg cleaning. I usually let it stand overnight and then rinse with hot water and sanitise prior to kegging the next batch.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 12:29 PM, Mickep said:

What product are we cleaning the inside of a keg with? TIA

Thanks for the feed back on this - PBW 

Do I need the big brushes for cleaning the inside of the keg manually - is this what you experienced keggers do? I've not a clue.

Sorry for the simpleton Q's by the way

@Mickep all that I do is give the empty keg a rinse out with some warm water, mix up the PBW at the correct dilution rate, pour it into the rinsed keg, put the lid back on the keg and give it a good shake. Next morning I tip out the PBW solution, pour more warm water into it as a rinse, give it a good shake around, empty and the leave the keg upside down to dry. Once dry I put the lid back on and pump in a little CO2 and it is ready go again when I have another fermented brew ready.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Thanks for the feed back on this - PBW 

Do I need the big brushes for cleaning the inside of the keg manually - is this what you experienced keggers do? I've not a clue.

No need for big brushes.

All I do Mick is give the freshly emptied keg a squirt out with the garden hose to rid it of any trub lining the bottom.  Give the lid and the main seal a good rinse under hot tap water and have it ready to re-fit.   Do all this as soon as possible after its empty say next morning.

One of those scoops in the PBW container (level) tipped in and then 5 litres of hot tap water.  If you seal it quickly enough some pressure will build up so you can then connect an open beer line to the beer post and the pressure will push PBW solution up / out and clean the dip tube.  If not enough pressure to do this then a quick puff of CO2 to a couple of psi.

I then pick up the keg and give it a good shake and sit it first up the correct way and later upside down on its head.  Leave overnight and a thorough rinse (several) with hot tap water the next day then the sanitise routine.

I have little labels fixed on rubber bands that remind me of what is inside the kegs at different stages.

This stage I call it "Percatory" so hence a red percatory tag goes on the lid.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have found PBW a bit hard to get lately so have been using nappy san. Fill the keg to the top add the recommended amount of nappy san and put the lid on. Let sit for 24 hours empty, rinse well then put 1 litre of warm water and 1.5ml of StarSan.  Shake vigorously then let sit for 30 minutes, empty StarSan into a spray bottle using a party tap then let sit till it is filled next.    

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mickep said:

the whole point of this place is for everyone to share knowlege. never fear asking questions. I'm pretty sure the only question that should never be asked here is "Should I drink this VB?"

• Haha 5

44 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Damn straight! Is there a way to block Classic from this post? 🤣

Mate every beer has it's place, that one is best suited for the outer suburbs near the railway crossing at a smoky BBQ with barking dogs & kids misbehaving with lots of flies & dust.  Hope this explains it better 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate every beer has it's place, that one is best suited for the outer suburbs near the railway crossing at a smoky BBQ with barking dogs & kids misbehaving with lots of flies & dust.  Hope this explains it better 🤣

Too funny, Classic, me ol' mate.  Love a smokey BBQ and a VB - not sure about the misbehaving kids or the flies though. Could go alright at sunset though, a bit of red dust with the giant orange Jaffa going down and the smell of T-Bones charring on the grill with an ice chilled VB in hand to wash away the dusty throat.........matter a fact I need one now. 😉🍻

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Too funny, Classic, me ol' mate.  Love a smokey BBQ and a VB - not sure about the misbehaving kids or the flies though. Could go alright at sunset though, a bit of red dust with the giant orange Jaffa going down and the smell of T-Bones charring on the grill with an ice chilled VB in hand to wash away the dusty throat.........matter a fact I need one now. 😉🍻

I would get shot down in flames for any further comment but everyone is free to drink what they want but I would rather drink Great Northern, XXXX, Carlton Ice, Iron Jack etc before I touched a green can !! I don't like them either but I will stick to Home Brew & when I am in the Pub West End, Carlton Draught, Furphy, James Squire etc.

Cheers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would get shot down in flames for any further comment but everyone is free to drink what they want but I would rather drink Great Northern, XXXX, Carlton Ice, Iron Jack etc before I touched a green can !! I don't like them either but I will stick to Home Brew & when I am in the Pub West End, Carlton Draught, Furphy, James Squire etc.

Cheers.

Just for you Classic; 😂

Here's the shopping list for kegland for my first crack at kegging.

image_2022-02-28_095154.thumb.png.ae068018ad3b43aba9abfb1a808a9994.png

Is there anything missing that I should know about? The 4 tap kegerator is setup with lines, reg, manifold, and ready to go as it was  a demo model which was and still is fully functional.  Spare parts?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

Here's the shopping list for kegland for my first crack at kegging.

image_2022-02-28_095154.thumb.png.ae068018ad3b43aba9abfb1a808a9994.png

Is there anything missing that I should know about? The 4 tap kegerator is setup with lines, reg, manifold, and ready to go as it was  a demo model which was and still is fully functional.  Spare parts?

I’d go with this spares kit @Mickep, I have one and they are worth if you encounter an o-ring leak, you don’t want to lose a 6kg of CO2, I’d probably go with a few spare Gas (Grey) & Beer (Black) disconnects and some keg lube mate & cleaner.

28399338-97AD-4464-9CC8-FC0DEBCE8196.jpeg

62BE2C0F-9718-4269-BE7D-C900D510C383.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I’d go with this spares kit @Mickep, I have one and they are worth if you encounter an o-ring leak, you don’t want to lose a 6kg of CO2, I’d probably go with a few spare Gas (Grey) & Beer (Black) disconnects and some keg lube mate & cleaner.

28399338-97AD-4464-9CC8-FC0DEBCE8196.jpeg

62BE2C0F-9718-4269-BE7D-C900D510C383.png

Thanks heaps RD, much appreciated

4 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

No worries @Mickep, welcome to the wonderful world of kegging, you will love it. Sing out if you have any dramas or if I can assist, also plenty of experience on this forum mate. 

Cheers mate, I know right? It's an incredible place here. I'd be lost to be honest without the help. There's also people here who have helped me no end in trying to set this up so I'm very grateful.  A big shout out has to go to Ozzie @ozdevil mate.

• Like 2

@Mickep I would agree with @Red devil 44 some spare disconnects, lube and that KL kit should have you covered. If you have Nukataps you may not need them, but I just bough a spare parts kit for them, quite inexpensive. That KL keg spare parts kit must be new, is it? I just bought some spare poppets and a Nukatap kit and didn't notice those keg kits when I was browsing the KL site.

• Like 1