Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

4 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Okay so I hate to ask but has anyone got some decent links to info and vids on how to keg. 

Starting from scratch seems a bit daunting at the minute, any help on this would be appreciated muchly. 

you might want to check out  "The Homebrew Network"  have a look through these Videos
this guy explains it very well  

you have also met this person in real life

https://www.youtube.com/c/GashSlugg/videos

search through that url above

• Like 3

@Mickep  the above chart is for the set and forget method

so you would set your regulater to 12.3 psi approx   @ 2°c   to obtain a carbonation of 2.7 volumes of co2  

this will take 5-7days to carbonate  your beer

so if you wanted to carb a beer to the same level of 2.7 volumes of co2  @ 20°c (room temp)

you will need to set the regulator @33.3 psi  in 20°c to obtain 2.7 volumes  of co2
for the same amount of time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozdevil said:

@Mickep  the above chart is for the set and forget method

so you would set your regulater to 12.3 psi approx   @ 2°c   to obtain a carbonation of 2.7 volumes of co2  

this will take 5-7days to carbonate  your beer

so if you wanted to carb a beer to the same level of 2.7 volumes of co2  @ 20°c (room temp)

you will need to set the regulator @33.3 psi  in 20°c to obtain 2.7 volumes  of co2
for the same amount of time

Thanks Ozzie mate, that's really helpful. Gash also advised if I'm not in a rush to start drinking the beer, set to 14 psi for about 7 days at about 3 degrees and hold that pressure for serving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

you might want to check out  "The Homebrew Network"  have a look through these Videos
this guy explains it very well  

you have also met this person in real life

https://www.youtube.com/c/GashSlugg/videos

search through that url above

He has some great videos.  Without his one on setting up a Series X kegerator, mine would probably still be in its box.  At the time he had the only video on how to do it.

I bet the Series X that featured in that video is now sitting in @Mickep's garage. 😃

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

He has some great videos.  Without his one on setting up a Series X kegerator, mine would probably still be in its box.  At the time he had the only video on how to do it.

I bet the Series X that featured in that video is now sitting in @Mickep's garage. 😃

It’s a small world 🌎 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

i dare say you are very right  .  i know gash we have chatted on a reg basis.

the guy is always  helping new brewers    and he has some extract brewing video's as well

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

the guy is always  helping new brewers    and he has some extract brewing video's as well

I agree his videos are pretty much easy to follow, if anything it is as if he tries to relax newbies with his she'll be right, don't stress, just go with the flow attitude. He has a huge library of topics catering for everyone.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I agree his videos are pretty much easy to follow, if anything it is as if he tries to relax newbies with his she'll be right, don't stress, just go with the flow attitude. He has a huge library of topics catering for everyone.

yes ,  he doesnt make it complicated    

he  is like that in real life easy going  explains his methods and tells you directly

David Heath is another well worth watching   

both gash and david heath have qualifications to brew as well 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ozdevil said:
19 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Should've seen his garage, no room to swing a cat (sorry all you cat lovers) for all the brewing gear. I think someone may have given him a nudge to offload the thing😉 Definitely a Brewers toy shop going on in his garage. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ozdevil said:

yes ,  he doesnt make it complicated    

he  is like that in real life easy going  explains his methods and tells you directly

David Heath is another well worth watching   

both gash and david heath have qualifications to brew as well 

Oz, he definitely came across that way. Really relaxed about stuff. He was very generous, offering to help out over the phone if I needed advice getting started with the kegging. Just watched his rockin' n rollin' vid on forced carbing, it's obvious he practices what he preaches.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Should've seen his garage, no room to swing a cat (sorry all you cat lovers) for all the brewing gear. I think someone may have given him a nudge to offload the thing😉 Definitely a Brewers toy shop going on in his garage. 

Good to hear you got a bargain mate, these opportunities only bob up now & again. All the best with your kegging adventure too, I am envious but in no position to jump in the big end just yet 🏊‍♂️

• Like 1

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good to hear you got a bargain mate, these opportunities only bob up now & again. All the best with your kegging adventure too, I am envious but in no position to jump in the big end just yet 🏊‍♂️

when they come up @Classic Brewing Co  you jump at it because  you may never get a great deal again, you just have to work the finer detail later

Yes i get your not in the market to jump into it yet, but when you do  and your looking for something similar  and i discover a good deal like @Mickep  got  I will certainly  let you know , like i did for Mickep

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Oz, he definitely came across that way. Really relaxed about stuff. He was very generous, offering to help out over the phone if I needed advice getting started with the kegging. Just watched his rockin' n rollin' vid on forced carbing, it's obvious he practices what he preaches.

mate he will help you  alot  

he does practice what he preaches   , he doesnt make it complicated more simple

he also done alot of extract brewing in his time as well with youtube

• Like 1

Great buy @Mickep  excellent way to get into kegging buying from Gash. You'll have after care service if needed.

Agree with whats said about Gash and his approach to brewing, dont go in too serious and tense. A lot of his videos helped me find my way with all grain and learning the Brewzilla.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Great buy @Mickep  excellent way to get into kegging buying from Gash. You'll have after care service if needed.

Agree with whats said about Gash and his approach to brewing, dont go in too serious and tense. A lot of his videos helped me find my way with all grain and learning the Brewzilla.

myself  as well   learned heaps just watching what gash does etc 

Another bloke  that is really easy to listening  to and does alot of beerco  stuff   his name is stass  

both resprected homebrewers   gash and Stass

• Like 1

Kegged a Coopers XPA clone today and it was not an easy transfer. As I mentioned elsewhere my fermentation fridge died on Friday, fortunately the Coopers XPA clone in the dead fridge was at FG. The down side was that I had commando hopped a big wallop of simcoe and lemondrop into the kegmenter and had intended to cold crash the brew to drop out the hops but the fridge had other ideas! So today I did the transfer and it was a pain as it just kept blocking the floating dip tube. I had to blow the dip tube out many times to get the transfer done but I got there.

Now there is 19l of 24° beer in the Series X and it is working really hard to cool it, hope that it handles that.

1899e.jpg

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Kegged a Coopers XPA clone today and it was not an easy transfer. As I mentioned elsewhere my fermentation fridge died on Friday, fortunately the Coopers XPA clone in the dead fridge was at FG. The down side was that I had commando hopped a big wallop of simcoe and lemondrop into the kegmenter and had intended to cold crash the brew to drop out the hops but the fridge had other ideas! So today I did the transfer and it was a pain as it just kept blocking the floating dip tube. I had to blow the dip tube out many times to get the transfer done but I got there.

Now there is 19l of 24° beer in the Series X and it is working really hard to cool it, hope that it handles that.

1899e.jpg

series X will handle  cooling mate   

my current brew i am doing is in my kegerator which is the series X   and i have just turned it to cold crash my hop slam ipa.

What i would have done when your fridge had died  and before  doing the keg transfer would have been remove what beer you had on tap  (small sacrifice for a couple of days) and placed your coopers XPA  in the series X to cold crash

the beer you had on tap still would have been fine to re connect and pour once you did your keg transfer

but isnt hindsight a wonderful thing

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ozdevil said:

series X will handle  cooling mate   

my current brew i am doing is in my kegerator which is the series X   and i have just turned it to cold crash my hop slam ipa.

What i would have done when your fridge had died  and before  doing the keg transfer would have been remove what beer you had on tap  (small sacrifice for a couple of days) and placed your coopers XPA  in the series X to cold crash

the beer you had on tap still would have been fine to re connect and pour once you did your keg transfer

but isnt hindsight a wonderful thing

Thanks Oz, that would have been the smart thing to do but it never entered my mind! Anyway Series X has finally got it down to 2°, took it awhile but the Coopers XPA clone is ready to be carbonated.

• Like 1